Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 2, 2011
8:29:15 AM
View profile
Network Pin/Phone Unlock Code
Edited by hairy_ on Feb 2, 2011 at 8:40:44 AM

Today, I called up AT&T customer support to get a unlock code for my phone, so I can travel. Let me say this was a huge headache, that got me no where slowly. First the lady, said she couldn't help me because I didn't know the 'account number' after roughly 10 minutes on hold, she comes back to repeat herself, telling me she couldn't help me, because I did not know the account number. I told her, I was not making changes to the account, I just needed an unlock code for my phone to be used with other carriers, she puts me on hold for another 5 minutes. Then the AT&T website let me login, and I found a account number, she proceeds to verify it, then puts me on hold for another 10 minutes. She comes back to tell me that account is past due, so she can not unlock the phone for use with other carriers. The account is not in my name, yet I want to switch carriers, and keep my current phone. I asked for the corporate office number, and she repeats how she is sorry that she can not help me since the account is past due.

Roughly 25 minutes on hold for 5 minutes of basically asking me details that do not pertain to the request, then denying my request.

If I had to rate AT&T customer service, it would rate 0. All I want is my phone unlocked, a phone that was purchased from AT&T over 2 years ago.

Today, I called up AT&T customer support to get a unlock code for my phone, so I can travel. Let me say this was a huge headache, that got me no where slowly. First the lady, said she couldn't help me because I didn't know the 'account number' after roughly 10 minutes on hold, she comes back to repeat herself, telling me she couldn't help me, because I did not know the account number. I told her, I was not making changes to the account, I just needed an unlock code for my phone to be used with other carriers, she puts me on hold for another 5 minutes. Then the AT&T website let me login, and I found a account number, she proceeds to verify it, then puts me on hold for another 10 minutes. She comes back to tell me that account is past due, so she can not unlock the phone for use with other carriers. The account is not in my name, yet I want to switch carriers, and keep my current phone. I asked for the corporate office number, and she repeats how she is sorry that she can not help me since the account is past due.

Roughly 25 minutes on hold for 5 minutes of basically asking me details that do not pertain to the request, then denying my request.

If I had to rate AT&T customer service, it would rate 0. All I want is my phone unlocked, a phone that was purchased from AT&T over 2 years ago.

Network Pin/Phone Unlock Code

[ Edited ]
6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 9:00:04 AM
(0)
Expert

Most of what you say does not seem to be bad customer service

1. you did not know your account code - logical, you have to prove ownership, yes you ARE making changes to the account

2. The account is past due, again no issue with cs there, account has to be up to date

3. the account is not in your name - unless you are authorized by the account owner you cannot do anything to the account, the only mistake is that they did not check that first.

All three of thse "details" pertain to what you want to do. You are not the account holder, you have no authorizty to do anything on the account without their permission, end of issue. Also that are some phones that no matter what they do not unlock - exclusive phones like the samsung focus, and more importantly the Iphone, they are not required to give you an unlock code.

sorry custoemr service did exactly what they where supposed to do

Most of what you say does not seem to be bad customer service

1. you did not know your account code - logical, you have to prove ownership, yes you ARE making changes to the account

2. The account is past due, again no issue with cs there, account has to be up to date

3. the account is not in your name - unless you are authorized by the account owner you cannot do anything to the account, the only mistake is that they did not check that first.

All three of thse "details" pertain to what you want to do. You are not the account holder, you have no authorizty to do anything on the account without their permission, end of issue. Also that are some phones that no matter what they do not unlock - exclusive phones like the samsung focus, and more importantly the Iphone, they are not required to give you an unlock code.

sorry custoemr service did exactly what they where supposed to do

Re: Network Pin/Phone Unlock Code

2 of 7 (6,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 9:15:05 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by hairy_ on Feb 2, 2011 at 9:30:15 AM

I would love to know how unlocking a phone so it can be used on other networks count as a change to the account. No new features were requested, no new numbers, or devices, nothing that would incur a fee of any kind, no billing, or address changes.

The account being in my name or not also has nothing to do with the issue. What if I purchased the phone at a garage sale, and wanted it unlocked, and did not have any service with AT&T, I bet they would give me the same run around. Its just proof that AT&T does not want to help people who own AT&T branded equipment. My phone is 100% paid for, it is mine, yet AT&T says "sorry, but you are stuck with us". Its like buying a FORD car, and paying it off, yet FORD still makes you come to them for gas, oil, tires, and any other part you could possibly need.

AT&T you will not have me as a repeat customer after this incident.

Roughly 25 minutes of hold time, for a 5-7 minute conversation is good customer service? I think not. That is a waste of AT&T's and my money, and time.

Also not being able to help me when I asked for the corporate number. That is something you hand out no matter what when asked for.

I would love to know how unlocking a phone so it can be used on other networks count as a change to the account. No new features were requested, no new numbers, or devices, nothing that would incur a fee of any kind, no billing, or address changes.

The account being in my name or not also has nothing to do with the issue. What if I purchased the phone at a garage sale, and wanted it unlocked, and did not have any service with AT&T, I bet they would give me the same run around. Its just proof that AT&T does not want to help people who own AT&T branded equipment. My phone is 100% paid for, it is mine, yet AT&T says "sorry, but you are stuck with us". Its like buying a FORD car, and paying it off, yet FORD still makes you come to them for gas, oil, tires, and any other part you could possibly need.

Roughly 25 minutes of hold time, for a 5-7 minute conversation is good customer service? I think not. That is a waste of AT&T's and my money, and time.

Also not being able to help me when I asked for the corporate number. That is something you hand out no matter what when asked for.

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (6,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 9:36:56 AM
(0)
Master

If you purchased this phone at a garage sale, AT&T wouldn't give you the time of day.  They don't provide unlock codes for phones for people who aren't their customers.

Sorry, but this is YOUR problem, not AT&T's.  AT&T unlocks phones as a courtesy for customers who meet eligibility requirements and are in good standing.  Nowhere are they required to do so for anyone.  Your account does not meet eligibility requirements, so they can't help you.  And I doubt that most CSR's even have a listing for the corporate HQ.

If you purchased this phone at a garage sale, AT&T wouldn't give you the time of day.  They don't provide unlock codes for phones for people who aren't their customers.

Sorry, but this is YOUR problem, not AT&T's.  AT&T unlocks phones as a courtesy for customers who meet eligibility requirements and are in good standing.  Nowhere are they required to do so for anyone.  Your account does not meet eligibility requirements, so they can't help you.  And I doubt that most CSR's even have a listing for the corporate HQ.

4 of 7 (6,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 10:08:49 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

BrianfromNO wrote:

Thank you all for taking the time to post your inquiries, comments and suggestions. I would just like to add that the above statement is not necessarily true. AT&T will unlock devices for non AT&T customers providing that the device is eligible to be unlocked. The only way that can be determined is by contacting customer service.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

BrianfromNO wrote:

Thank you all for taking the time to post your inquiries, comments and suggestions. I would just like to add that the above statement is not necessarily true. AT&T will unlock devices for non AT&T customers providing that the device is eligible to be unlocked. The only way that can be determined is by contacting customer service.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

5 of 7 (6,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 12:43:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

Just another thought:

Since you 1) don't know the account number, 2) are not the account holder, and 3) the phone is still tied to the said account, you shouldn't have any right to change anything about that phone. AT&T doesn't know if you stole the phone from the rightful owner of the account/phone. If AT&T, or any carrier, were to provide this service to just anyone calling up I would venture to guess that we would have many more phone thefts on our hands.

Unless you paid the full/unsubsidized price for the phone when it was purchased, you did not indeed pay for the phone. AT&T took a hit on the phone you are using in exchange for you paying them for service over an agreed upon amount of time. IF the account is in good standing, and the agreed upon amount of time has passed, then AT&T would be willing to talk to the account holder about unlocking the phone. I don't see a reason that AT&T should have helped you under the conditions you gave them.

Just another thought:

Since you 1) don't know the account number, 2) are not the account holder, and 3) the phone is still tied to the said account, you shouldn't have any right to change anything about that phone. AT&T doesn't know if you stole the phone from the rightful owner of the account/phone. If AT&T, or any carrier, were to provide this service to just anyone calling up I would venture to guess that we would have many more phone thefts on our hands.

Unless you paid the full/unsubsidized price for the phone when it was purchased, you did not indeed pay for the phone. AT&T took a hit on the phone you are using in exchange for you paying them for service over an agreed upon amount of time. IF the account is in good standing, and the agreed upon amount of time has passed, then AT&T would be willing to talk to the account holder about unlocking the phone. I don't see a reason that AT&T should have helped you under the conditions you gave them.

6 of 7 (6,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 2:29:12 PM
(0)
Expert

hairy_ wrote:

so you are saying the phone was never active on the account - if you review the FAQS you will see that youneed to have the account in good standing for 10 months. Even if you get an unlock code - hopefully you are not wanting to use the phone on verizon or sprint - it won;t work, different cell phone technologis.

hairy_ wrote:

so you are saying the phone was never active on the account - if you review the FAQS you will see that youneed to have the account in good standing for 10 months. Even if you get an unlock code - hopefully you are not wanting to use the phone on verizon or sprint - it won;t work, different cell phone technologis.

7 of 7 (6,642 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments