Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 24, 2012
5:37:46 AM
View profile
Network Mode?
GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto) GSM/HSPA (auto) GSM Only HSPA Only Under mobile networks on every Oer Android smartphone using a GSM network, why not AT&T? Not everyone wants to flash custom roms to get this. Why can't AT&T let us decide which network we want to use? Rogers, Telus, and T-Mobile all do. AT&T I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE MY PHONE ON EDGE ALL DAY WHEN IT'S SITTING IN MY DRAWER. This saves battery life and allows me to still have a data connection, whereas turning off mobile data turns data off completey. You allow it on the iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 BUT NOT 4s. Please add this in the future.
GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto) GSM/HSPA (auto) GSM Only HSPA Only Under mobile networks on every Oer Android smartphone using a GSM network, why not AT&T? Not everyone wants to flash custom roms to get this. Why can't AT&T let us decide which network we want to use? Rogers, Telus, and T-Mobile all do. AT&T I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE MY PHONE ON EDGE ALL DAY WHEN IT'S SITTING IN MY DRAWER. This saves battery life and allows me to still have a data connection, whereas turning off mobile data turns data off completey. You allow it on the iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 BUT NOT 4s. Please add this in the future.

Network Mode?

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 7:04:30 AM
(0)
Professor

One theory says AT&T wants you to use more data (more speed encourages more usage), so they can charge for overages on their tiered plans.

I agree, if nothing else letting us select the data network type is greatly helpful for reducing battery drainage when in LTE or 3G fringe coverage areas.

Entering in a new APN for the non-LTE network, and selecting this APN will shutoff LTE on most phones.  But I haven't found a way to do this with 3G (and leave only EDGE) yet.  And we shouldn't have to resort to this type of thing.

One theory says AT&T wants you to use more data (more speed encourages more usage), so they can charge for overages on their tiered plans.

I agree, if nothing else letting us select the data network type is greatly helpful for reducing battery drainage when in LTE or 3G fringe coverage areas.

Entering in a new APN for the non-LTE network, and selecting this APN will shutoff LTE on most phones.  But I haven't found a way to do this with 3G (and leave only EDGE) yet.  And we shouldn't have to resort to this type of thing.

Re: Network Mode?

2 of 12 (1,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 9:45:06 AM
(0)
Scholar

Exactly!!!  However, in my case I have unlimited and actually like to conserve my usage so I don't get throttled again.  Ya hear that AT&T, if I had the option to turn off 3G and LTE I won't use so much data and congest your network.

I had my Galaxy Note rooted and flashed Saurom which had the option but it couldn't force off 3G, but worked like a charm on turning off LTE.  

Exactly!!!  However, in my case I have unlimited and actually like to conserve my usage so I don't get throttled again.  Ya hear that AT&T, if I had the option to turn off 3G and LTE I won't use so much data and congest your network.

I had my Galaxy Note rooted and flashed Saurom which had the option but it couldn't force off 3G, but worked like a charm on turning off LTE.  

3 of 12 (1,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 10:10:12 AM
(0)
Professor
If there was one reason why AT&T would not want smartphones to turn off 3G, that would be that they have non-smartphones on EDGE, and MVNOs like Tracfone, NET10, and others on EDGE already. Data on EDGE stays connected longer when doing background apps, tying up the network longer with background data, thus potentially overloading the EDGE network.
If there was one reason why AT&T would not want smartphones to turn off 3G, that would be that they have non-smartphones on EDGE, and MVNOs like Tracfone, NET10, and others on EDGE already. Data on EDGE stays connected longer when doing background apps, tying up the network longer with background data, thus potentially overloading the EDGE network.

4 of 12 (1,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 10:21:31 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by MJB0188 on May 24, 2012 at 10:21:44 AM

^ To bad, every other GSM carrier in the world has it as an option, why is AT&T so special???

^ To bad, every other GSM carrier in the world has it as an option, why is AT&T so special???

[ Edited ]
5 of 12 (1,557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 2:43:56 PM
(0)
Professor
There's a 2G-3G OnOff app in Google Play (Android Market).
There's a 2G-3G OnOff app in Google Play (Android Market).

6 of 12 (1,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 5:20:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

That's just a shortcut to mobile network settings.  Would be nice if the option were actually in the menu.  The technical aspect of this is because AT&T has a RAT locked modem in their phones.  If they unlocked it then we'd have the option to choose which network we want.  

Never gonna happen, but I will be heard!!!

That's just a shortcut to mobile network settings.  Would be nice if the option were actually in the menu.  The technical aspect of this is because AT&T has a RAT locked modem in their phones.  If they unlocked it then we'd have the option to choose which network we want.  

Never gonna happen, but I will be heard!!!

7 of 12 (1,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 5:34:40 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on May 24, 2012 at 5:42:31 PM
You're right. No apps will switch it. How about a new APN?

[ Edited ]
8 of 12 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 12:32:00 PM
(0)
Professor

ilikewireless wrote:

Entering a new APN works, as I've already mentioned above.

ilikewireless wrote:

Entering a new APN works, as I've already mentioned above.

9 of 12 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 3:47:50 PM
(0)
Professor
Cool. I also want to switch voice to EDGE. Might be a way?

10 of 12 (1,445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2012 6:32:13 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on May 30, 2012 at 6:34:24 AM

ilikewireless wrote:

Have you had reception issues with voice on 3G, such as 3G fringe areas?

ilikewireless wrote:

[ Edited ]
11 of 12 (1,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2012 4:26:27 PM
(0)
Professor

redpoint73 wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Not really. It would be something good to know. So I'll just be looking for a solution before the problem ;-)

redpoint73 wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Not really. It would be something good to know. So I'll just be looking for a solution before the problem ;-)

12 of 12 (1,407 Views)