Network Mode?

Scholar

Network Mode?

GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto) GSM/HSPA (auto) GSM Only HSPA Only Under mobile networks on every Oer Android smartphone using a GSM network, why not AT&T? Not everyone wants to flash custom roms to get this. Why can't AT&T let us decide which network we want to use? Rogers, Telus, and T-Mobile all do. AT&T I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE MY PHONE ON EDGE ALL DAY WHEN IT'S SITTING IN MY DRAWER. This saves battery life and allows me to still have a data connection, whereas turning off mobile data turns data off completey. You allow it on the iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 BUT NOT 4s. Please add this in the future.
Message 1 of 12
Professor

Re: Network Mode?

One theory says AT&T wants you to use more data (more speed encourages more usage), so they can charge for overages on their tiered plans.

I agree, if nothing else letting us select the data network type is greatly helpful for reducing battery drainage when in LTE or 3G fringe coverage areas.

Entering in a new APN for the non-LTE network, and selecting this APN will shutoff LTE on most phones.  But I haven't found a way to do this with 3G (and leave only EDGE) yet.  And we shouldn't have to resort to this type of thing.

Message 2 of 12
Scholar

Exactly!!!  However, in my case I have unlimited and actually like to conserve my usage so I don't get throttled again.  Ya hear that AT&T, if I had the option to turn off 3G and LTE I won't use so much data and congest your network.

I had my Galaxy Note rooted and flashed Saurom which had the option but it couldn't force off 3G, but worked like a charm on turning off LTE.  

Message 3 of 12
Professor

If there was one reason why AT&T would not want smartphones to turn off 3G, that would be that they have non-smartphones on EDGE, and MVNOs like Tracfone, NET10, and others on EDGE already. Data on EDGE stays connected longer when doing background apps, tying up the network longer with background data, thus potentially overloading the EDGE network.
Message 4 of 12
Scholar

^ To bad, every other GSM carrier in the world has it as an option, why is AT&T so special???

Message 5 of 12
Professor

There's a 2G-3G OnOff app in Google Play (Android Market).
Message 6 of 12
Scholar

That's just a shortcut to mobile network settings.  Would be nice if the option were actually in the menu.  The technical aspect of this is because AT&T has a RAT locked modem in their phones.  If they unlocked it then we'd have the option to choose which network we want.  

Never gonna happen, but I will be heard!!!

Message 7 of 12
Professor

You're right. No apps will switch it. How about a new APN?
Message 8 of 12
Professor

ilikewireless wrote:
You're right. No apps will switch it. How about a new APN?

Entering a new APN works, as I've already mentioned above.

Message 9 of 12
Professor

Cool. I also want to switch voice to EDGE. Might be a way?
Message 10 of 12
Professor

ilikewireless wrote:

Have you had reception issues with voice on 3G, such as 3G fringe areas?

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Professor

redpoint73 wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Have you had reception issues with voice on 3G, such as 3G fringe areas?

Not really. It would be something good to know. So I'll just be looking for a solution before the problem ;-)
Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support