Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 28, 2010
8:16:41 PM
Netflix/Video data usage?

Does anybody know what kind of data per hour Netflix or similar video streaming would use?  I would love to use my Netflix on an iPhone, but with the 2gb cap I would be scared to run through that very quickly.

Yes, I know it is wise to use something like Netflix over a Wi-Fi network, but I spend plenty of time outside of Wi-Fi networks where I would want to be using it.  I've tried searching Google and haven't found much, so does anybody have a realistic idea of how much data per hour of viewing streaming video uses?

Thanks!

Trevor

Does anybody know what kind of data per hour Netflix or similar video streaming would use?  I would love to use my Netflix on an iPhone, but with the 2gb cap I would be scared to run through that very quickly.

Yes, I know it is wise to use something like Netflix over a Wi-Fi network, but I spend plenty of time outside of Wi-Fi networks where I would want to be using it.  I've tried searching Google and haven't found much, so does anybody have a realistic idea of how much data per hour of viewing streaming video uses?

Thanks!

Trevor

Netflix/Video data usage?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 8:36:45 PM
(0)
Guru

Here is a tool that AT&T has that might help.

http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html

Here is a tool that AT&T has that might help.

http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html

Re: Netflix/Video data usage?

2 of 6 (39,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 9:03:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by GeekBoy on Sep 28, 2010 at 9:04:04 PM

I was waiting for my wife last week while she was at an appointment.  I decided to finish watching a NetFlix movie I had started on our Roku box at home.  I watched somewhere between 45min-1hour of the movie and this is what my usage detail shows:

09/2209:15 PM Internet/MEdia NetSent161212KB

Looks like about 160-225MB/hour for streaming NetFlix (not sure if that was HD or non-HD content though)

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I was waiting for my wife last week while she was at an appointment.  I decided to finish watching a NetFlix movie I had started on our Roku box at home.  I watched somewhere between 45min-1hour of the movie and this is what my usage detail shows:

Looks like about 160-225MB/hour for streaming NetFlix (not sure if that was HD or non-HD content though)

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Netflix/Video data usage?on my wife

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (39,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 10:01:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

Using the data calculator just put the streaming video on "a month" in the drop down menu, and move the slider to 60 minutes. It gave me .10GB, which is basically 100MBs. 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Using the data calculator just put the streaming video on "a month" in the drop down menu, and move the slider to 60 minutes. It gave me .10GB, which is basically 100MBs. 

4 of 6 (39,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 5:20:43 AM
(0)
Professor

GeekBoy wrote:

I think Netflix does the YouTube quality checker like ABC/NBC videos. They lower the quality in favor of better downloading and lower usage of data packets. Otherwise it would be 2250MB.

GeekBoy wrote:

I think Netflix does the YouTube quality checker like ABC/NBC videos. They lower the quality in favor of better downloading and lower usage of data packets. Otherwise it would be 2250MB.

Re: Netflix/Video data usage?on my wife

5 of 6 (39,551 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 5:32:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yeah, it's hard to say exactly since Netflx will turn down the quailty/bitrate based on your connection, and it depends on the source quality as well

http://blog.netflix.com/2008/11/encoding-for-streaming.html

says roughly 375, 500, 1000, and 1500kbps

with HD running 2600kbps and 3800kbps

That's kbits per second, so to translate into bytes per minute use x * 8 * 60, so

180KB per minute for the lowest rate, up to 720KB per minute for the highest rate, or 42MB for an hour.

HD is where you get killed. Lowest one is 1.25MB/minute, best is 1.8MB/min, so anywhere from 75-110MB/hour.

All told, looks like you can figure on 20-40 hours a month to consume 2GB. If you're going to be doing this daily you'd be better off downloading video content to your device during sync.

Yeah, it's hard to say exactly since Netflx will turn down the quailty/bitrate based on your connection, and it depends on the source quality as well

http://blog.netflix.com/2008/11/encoding-for-streaming.html

says roughly 375, 500, 1000, and 1500kbps

with HD running 2600kbps and 3800kbps

That's kbits per second, so to translate into bytes per minute use x * 8 * 60, so

180KB per minute for the lowest rate, up to 720KB per minute for the highest rate, or 42MB for an hour.

HD is where you get killed. Lowest one is 1.25MB/minute, best is 1.8MB/min, so anywhere from 75-110MB/hour.

All told, looks like you can figure on 20-40 hours a month to consume 2GB. If you're going to be doing this daily you'd be better off downloading video content to your device during sync.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 6 (39,546 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments