Need help with an sierra wireless 881U UsbConnect crashing my HP!

Contributor

Need help with an sierra wireless 881U UsbConnect crashing my HP!

I have just bought a 881U USB Connect made by Sierra Wireless to access the internet while on the road.  When AT&T sent it, there was really no instructions other than a quick guide to install it.   Every time I plug the USB antenna into my HP 9000 Pavillion running XP, the system reboots and tells me I had a serious error.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Can you tell me of a way to solve it?

I'm not real tekkie, but I can usually follow directions if they make sense!

Thanks for any help!
Message 1 of 4 (2,719 Views)
Master

Re: Need help with an sierra wireless 881U UsbConnect crashing my HP!

The issue is your cd buring software.  It is trying to mount the USB Mass Storage on the 881u as a burnable device causing the crash.  If you can boot into safe mode, do that and copy the Setup.Exe (approx 34Mb) from the ATT Folder on the Tru-Install drive.  This MUST be copied off the drive while in safe mode then installed once the computer is rebooted in normal mode.  I used to have detailed instructions and I may yet, but I will need to check my email at the office.
Message 2 of 4 (2,717 Views)
Contributor

Thanks!

It wouldn't work exactly the way you said, so I just removed the software, reloaded the 881 software and then reloaded the CD Burner software.   At this moment, every thing seems to work great.

I would have never figured it out myself!   Thanks again!
Message 3 of 4 (2,697 Views)
Master

No problem.  Only reason I know this is because I deal with day in day out as a tech at a local shop.  Oh yeah and spending countless hours initially on the phone with ATT Data Support.
Message 4 of 4 (2,685 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.