Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 29, 2011
6:29:53 PM
Need help so I don't go to Verizon! I lose SO many calls at home and have a Micro Cell!!

I have an Phone 3 and have SUCH bad reception in my home that I can't take it anymore.  I am wondering if the Iphone could be the problem.  I need someone to help me out or I am going to have to switch to another carrier. My plan is up in two weeks and have already talked to Verizon. Of course they wanted to switch me THAT day, but I am going to honor what I did by signing the contract.  I went into a AT&T store about 3 months ago and was fed up.  They quickly went on the computer and said, you are in a area where you can get a free Micro Cell.  I was SO relieved that I can finally use my cell phone in my own house!!! I went home plugged it in and 4 or 5 bars!!! First call comes in and I am so comfortable talking laying on my couch.  I would normally have to jump up run outside in the drive way to do the walk and talk "saying..Can you hear me now...hold on I'm walking..."  Pitiful!!! This is my work line and people think I am crazy!  Well, I got 4 or 5 bars but it went to nothing in the first few seconds of the call and BAM dropped call again!  SO, the micro cell makes it look like I have service until I answer.  HELP!!!  Could it be the phone?  Will AT&T let me have a loner phone of another phone to see if  it is my phone's issue before I just drop them and go Verizon with another contract and new Iphone or something else...  Can you suggest any solutions.  I guess the question is IF I buy another Iphone 4 (or 5 if it comes out) and go month to month with At&T to see if things improve and if not, can I switch the Iphone over with me to Verizon?  If not I am afraid I am going to have to just switch over to Verizon and get a new phone and contract. I tried HARD to stay with At&T. I have DSL with them and home phone, so I have been a customer a long time.  I actually have had some problems with the internet lately and they sent another modem, but it still cuts out here and there.  I don't know if I need to just cut the cord all together or what else CAN I do???  Thanks so much!

Curt

I have an Phone 3 and have SUCH bad reception in my home that I can't take it anymore.  I am wondering if the Iphone could be the problem.  I need someone to help me out or I am going to have to switch to another carrier. My plan is up in two weeks and have already talked to Verizon. Of course they wanted to switch me THAT day, but I am going to honor what I did by signing the contract.  I went into a AT&T store about 3 months ago and was fed up.  They quickly went on the computer and said, you are in a area where you can get a free Micro Cell.  I was SO relieved that I can finally use my cell phone in my own house!!! I went home plugged it in and 4 or 5 bars!!! First call comes in and I am so comfortable talking laying on my couch.  I would normally have to jump up run outside in the drive way to do the walk and talk "saying..Can you hear me now...hold on I'm walking..."  Pitiful!!! This is my work line and people think I am crazy!  Well, I got 4 or 5 bars but it went to nothing in the first few seconds of the call and BAM dropped call again!  SO, the micro cell makes it look like I have service until I answer.  HELP!!!  Could it be the phone?  Will AT&T let me have a loner phone of another phone to see if  it is my phone's issue before I just drop them and go Verizon with another contract and new Iphone or something else...  Can you suggest any solutions.  I guess the question is IF I buy another Iphone 4 (or 5 if it comes out) and go month to month with At&T to see if things improve and if not, can I switch the Iphone over with me to Verizon?  If not I am afraid I am going to have to just switch over to Verizon and get a new phone and contract. I tried HARD to stay with At&T. I have DSL with them and home phone, so I have been a customer a long time.  I actually have had some problems with the internet lately and they sent another modem, but it still cuts out here and there.  I don't know if I need to just cut the cord all together or what else CAN I do???  Thanks so much!

Curt

Need help so I don't go to Verizon! I lose SO many calls at home and have a Micro Cell!!

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2011 7:46:42 PM
(0)
Professor

To answer one question, you can't take any of the currently available iPhones to Verizon.  AT&T phones are GSM and Verizon uses CDMA technology, which is incompatible with GSM.  The next iPhone MAY work on both CDMA and GSM, but right now, that's just a rumor.  Also, supposedly Verizon doesn't allow phones not bought from them on their network, so even if it could work, Verizon probably won't allow it.

The only real way to tell if the problem with your phone or the service is to try another phone in the same area you are having problems with your iPhone 3 and compare the results.  If the other phone works, it's probably a problem with the iPhone.  If the other phone doesn't work, then it's a service problem.

To answer one question, you can't take any of the currently available iPhones to Verizon.  AT&T phones are GSM and Verizon uses CDMA technology, which is incompatible with GSM.  The next iPhone MAY work on both CDMA and GSM, but right now, that's just a rumor.  Also, supposedly Verizon doesn't allow phones not bought from them on their network, so even if it could work, Verizon probably won't allow it.

The only real way to tell if the problem with your phone or the service is to try another phone in the same area you are having problems with your iPhone 3 and compare the results.  If the other phone works, it's probably a problem with the iPhone.  If the other phone doesn't work, then it's a service problem.

Re: Need help so I don't go to Verizon! I lose SO many calls at home and have a Micro Cell!!

2 of 10 (430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 6:58:34 AM
(0)
Professor

If the service is not good where you are, you may be better off leaving at&t, especially if you are looing to cut the cord.  Even if the microcell works for you, in a power outage, internet outage, or home network outage you will be without a phone.  I also imagine that reception near your house is not good, and the microcell will only fix the problems in or very near your house.  Unfortunately, Verizon or some other carrier may be a better bet for you.

If the service is not good where you are, you may be better off leaving at&t, especially if you are looing to cut the cord.  Even if the microcell works for you, in a power outage, internet outage, or home network outage you will be without a phone.  I also imagine that reception near your house is not good, and the microcell will only fix the problems in or very near your house.  Unfortunately, Verizon or some other carrier may be a better bet for you.

Re: Need help so I don't go to Verizon! I lose SO many calls at home and have a Micro Cell!!

3 of 10 (389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 9:36:10 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by trlyka on Sep 30, 2011 at 10:24:26 AM

Unfortunately, regardless of the carrier, I had poor reception in my home. It's actually my whole area that's bad. North and South are fine, but from where I live to where I work, it's terrible, but that's only about 2-3 miles away. Then from where I live to where my Mom lives (next town over) is also terrible. Now mind you these are back roads and rural areas, but it's a heavily populated area. You would think AT&T would add cell towers, but the excuse is usually that they are working on towers, or new ones will be up in a few days. Yeah right! I once had about 6 dropped calls to a land line within a couple of miles. I was talking to my Aunt and it was extremely annoying. I called AT&T and they gave me some excuse about tower issues and offered to reset my phone to help the signal be re routed. Yet another cover up for bad service. But again, it's a localized area that I have problems with. When I had Verizon, I had the same issues. So it could be where you live. I have the microcell and it works really well in my condo. The microcell should help in your home. If not, then maybe it has to do with running through DSL? But I don't know. I have cable Internet which is about 10 times faster then DSL.

How's your service outside your home area? If it's good, then it's probably not the phone. Do you have any neighbors with the same service and same problems? When I switched from Verizon to AT&T, I waited until my contract with Verizon was less then a month to the end. Then I went to AT&T and got a new number to try the service. They give you 30 days to change your mind. As soon as my contract date with Verizon was up, I ported my number to AT&T. For me, I wanted the iPhone and I had nothing but problems with ANY phone I had from Verizon. I spent more time in their store for tech support then I did at home. Ok, maybe that's a bit exaggerated, but you get my point.

The grass may not be greener, so if you choose to switch, try Verizon first (have 2 phones) before you completely switch.

-Good luck

EDIT

I see I kind of contradicted what I said when I said I lived in a rural area but it's heavily populated. What I meant is that it used to be more rural, but has since grown quite a bit, making it a fairly heavily populated area now.

Unfortunately, regardless of the carrier, I had poor reception in my home. It's actually my whole area that's bad. North and South are fine, but from where I live to where I work, it's terrible, but that's only about 2-3 miles away. Then from where I live to where my Mom lives (next town over) is also terrible. Now mind you these are back roads and rural areas, but it's a heavily populated area. You would think AT&T would add cell towers, but the excuse is usually that they are working on towers, or new ones will be up in a few days. Yeah right! I once had about 6 dropped calls to a land line within a couple of miles. I was talking to my Aunt and it was extremely annoying. I called AT&T and they gave me some excuse about tower issues and offered to reset my phone to help the signal be re routed. Yet another cover up for bad service. But again, it's a localized area that I have problems with. When I had Verizon, I had the same issues. So it could be where you live. I have the microcell and it works really well in my condo. The microcell should help in your home. If not, then maybe it has to do with running through DSL? But I don't know. I have cable Internet which is about 10 times faster then DSL.

How's your service outside your home area? If it's good, then it's probably not the phone. Do you have any neighbors with the same service and same problems? When I switched from Verizon to AT&T, I waited until my contract with Verizon was less then a month to the end. Then I went to AT&T and got a new number to try the service. They give you 30 days to change your mind. As soon as my contract date with Verizon was up, I ported my number to AT&T. For me, I wanted the iPhone and I had nothing but problems with ANY phone I had from Verizon. I spent more time in their store for tech support then I did at home. Ok, maybe that's a bit exaggerated, but you get my point.

The grass may not be greener, so if you choose to switch, try Verizon first (have 2 phones) before you completely switch.

-Good luck

EDIT

I see I kind of contradicted what I said when I said I lived in a rural area but it's heavily populated. What I meant is that it used to be more rural, but has since grown quite a bit, making it a fairly heavily populated area now.

[ Edited ]
4 of 10 (369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 10:18:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks so much everyone for your help.  I do need to find someone else with an AT&T phone to see if it's my phone.  I am going to wait on the Iphone 5, so I have a few weeks I guess.  I guess I will go to facebook to find out if any friends have AT&T and Verizon to see which one is best at my house.  Thanks a bunch. I had verizon at my old company and from what I remember, the service was fine.  Thanks everyone!

Curt

Thanks so much everyone for your help.  I do need to find someone else with an AT&T phone to see if it's my phone.  I am going to wait on the Iphone 5, so I have a few weeks I guess.  I guess I will go to facebook to find out if any friends have AT&T and Verizon to see which one is best at my house.  Thanks a bunch. I had verizon at my old company and from what I remember, the service was fine.  Thanks everyone!

Curt

5 of 10 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 11:05:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

trlyka wrote:

EDIT

Oh, OK.  I was thinking that there were a bunch of farms where each family had 20 kids!

trlyka wrote:

EDIT

Oh, OK.  I was thinking that there were a bunch of farms where each family had 20 kids!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 10 (345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 12:35:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

21stNow wrote:

trlyka wrote:

EDIT

There are still a lot of farms, but a lot of open land has now been filled with new developments. You can imagine how this only makes the area less "farm like" then it once was. Instead of leaving the land as it should remain (undeveloped), they squeeze in as many homes as they can and ruin the area by building more roads to accommodate the bloated areas that were once quiet and quaint neighborhoods with uninvited out of towner's who don't appreciate where they get to live. Sorry, but I'm a little bitter because I grew up in my area seeing everything go downhill right before my eyes.

21stNow wrote:

trlyka wrote:

EDIT

There are still a lot of farms, but a lot of open land has now been filled with new developments. You can imagine how this only makes the area less "farm like" then it once was. Instead of leaving the land as it should remain (undeveloped), they squeeze in as many homes as they can and ruin the area by building more roads to accommodate the bloated areas that were once quiet and quaint neighborhoods with uninvited out of towner's who don't appreciate where they get to live. Sorry, but I'm a little bitter because I grew up in my area seeing everything go downhill right before my eyes.

7 of 10 (335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 8:55:48 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

kmgreensman wrote:

Curt

Let us know what you find out Curt!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

kmgreensman wrote:

Curt

Let us know what you find out Curt!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 10 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 8:58:17 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

trlyka wrote:

I hear you. This is happening to the area I grew up in as well. It used to be that you could stand on my Mom's front porch and not see another rooftop but that's changing now. The good part is that there is now cell service there where before I had to get in the car and drive a mile or so away to even get a signal! Progress has it's pros and cons I guess. 

--------------

trlyka wrote:

I hear you. This is happening to the area I grew up in as well. It used to be that you could stand on my Mom's front porch and not see another rooftop but that's changing now. The good part is that there is now cell service there where before I had to get in the car and drive a mile or so away to even get a signal! Progress has it's pros and cons I guess. 

--------------

9 of 10 (306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2011 7:27:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

jamileh wrote:

trlyka wrote:

Pros and cons for sure! I have never been happier with a cell phone since the iPhone. There is no other phone that does things the way the iPhone does. When it came out, it put most phones to shame. But the new android phones are trying to compete. And now with 'progress', I get to call my family and complain about the traffic I'm in Smiley Wink

jamileh wrote:

trlyka wrote:

Pros and cons for sure! I have never been happier with a cell phone since the iPhone. There is no other phone that does things the way the iPhone does. When it came out, it put most phones to shame. But the new android phones are trying to compete. And now with 'progress', I get to call my family and complain about the traffic I'm in Smiley Wink

10 of 10 (282 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments