Need Help in Getting Wifi to work on my 8820

Contributor

Need Help in Getting Wifi to work on my 8820

I just go the BB 8820 with embedded wifi.  When I search for a wifi icon or a "check box" to select and turn on the wifi, there is NONE on my BB!!  How do I turn on the wifi feature, when nothing on the device or Manage Connections gives me the option to turn on WIFI???

I've tried calling ATT a thousand times and no one seems to know what is going on...

I bought this feature just because it had the WIFI feature built in... and I can't get it to work!

Help PLEASE!!
Message 1 of 12 (6,427 Views)
Professor

Re: Need Help in Getting Wifi to work on my 8820

SUBJECT: Turn Wi-Fi On or Off for the RIM BlackBerry 8820 using Handheld Software Version 4.x
Enable or Disable Wi-Fi for a RIM BlackBerry 8820 using Handheld Software Version 4.x
FACT: BlackBerry Handheld Software version 4.2
RIM BlackBerry 8820
SYMPTOM: Wi-Fi
FIX:

RIM BlackBerry 8820 Keypad Layout

Procedure

1. Scroll to and select the Manage Connections icon (to select press the trackball in).
  2. Scroll to and select the Wi-Fi checkbox.

3. One of following connection statuses will display.

• Green: The RIM BlackBerry is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
    • Yellow: The RIM BlackBerry Wi-Fi network connection is turned on, but the RIM BlackBerry is not connected to a Wi-Fi network.
    • Red: The RIM BlackBerry Wi-Fi network connection is turned off.
Message 2 of 12 (6,417 Views)
Contributor

Thanks.  Except that the Wi-Fi check box does NOT appear on my BB!!  I see the Mobile Network and Bluetooth boxes, but not the WIFI box!!

So what is going on?
Message 3 of 12 (6,354 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Might be a dumb question, but are you sure you have the 8820 and not the 8800?
Message 4 of 12 (6,346 Views)
Contributor

I have the exact same problem than The4Costas...I can not see my WI FI connection listed in 'my connections'.....Any help?

Thanks!!
Message 5 of 12 (6,311 Views)
Contributor

Yes, I'm sure its the 8820. 
Message 6 of 12 (6,301 Views)
Contributor

The same with with me...I have a BB 8820
Message 7 of 12 (6,271 Views)
Mentor

Just to rule out the painfully obvious--do you actually have a BB data plan on your account? Have you registered your phone on the wireless (AT&T) network? I'm just curious if it might have something to do with missing service books. If you have a BIS plan, have you logged into your BIS account and re-sent the service books?
Message 8 of 12 (6,242 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]
I have had a AT&T 8820 for a couple of months now and had the same problem. My WiFi kept dropping ir-respective of the SIM or Data Plan that I have (I have the unlimited plan, but that does not matter). Here is the problem that I was able to track down. Took me one whole night and one whole day to track this down. Good thing that I have a Masters in Computer Science...the money for the Grad school finally paid off !!! Here is the problem and the solution for RIM Blackberry 8820 (ONLY because thats the phone I have):

When you turn on 8820, its WiFi hardware starts looking for "any" WiFi signal (does not matter if it is the strongest or not ... RIM guys should start watching the "Strongest Man competition"  ) in 802.11 a/b/g channel frequencies. Once it finds a channel, it then tries to log into that channel. If that channel is WEP or WPA or etc.. secured, it starts looking for the next channel. This may be a bug in the 8820 that the RIM geeks need to look at (maybe I should start a class action...Just Kidding..... To me, it should show the user (thats us) all the available WiFi spots available (secured or not) and let us decide which one to pick, configure and save for future use. But, it does not (Helloooo...  RIM.... Houston has a problem....:smileymad

Now, here come the interesting part. So, for example, you initiated a scan, found your WiFi, configured and saved it. Then you did a connect and well you get connected (please do not hold me accountable for how long you stay connected...1 second, 1 hour, 1 day..., "RANDOM" time (please do not use RANDOM. I have copyrighted it because it is a new time format that applies to Blackberries...hehehe:smileyvery-happy. Then, magically, you loose connection. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!! What now...? Why...? Post question in the forum first... !!!    8820 does that because there is a hidden setting that does that disconnect for you (got a cyborg slave at last to do something for you for free...:smileywink. What really happens is that while the 8820 is still connected, its hardware is still handshaking with everyone in town, not just your own connected WiFi  (what a flirt...:smileysurprised.

Solution: Please be Ultra 32 GB micro SDHC careful

Choose "Manage Connections" (that telephone/Christmas tree without leave looking thingi).
Scroll down and choose "WiFi Options"
Scroll down to the line item the says (... I do no know what name you gave your WiFi...) "..your WiFi profile name..."
Once you highlight that, Click your "Menu" button (...that thingi to the left of the ball...ooopppssss...I should mind my language...sorry ...)
Once the Menu Pops up, choose "Edit"
Now you see a screen that has some meat to it...not just BONES.......
Put a check mark on EVERY BOX except "Prompt before connection" (...well if you want to be begged for a connection biscuit every time you pass a WiFi spot, you can put a check in that box too...)
But, make sure that - especially the "Allow inter-access point handover" box has been checked (best is to check all except the prompty box)
Now comes the best, juicy, tenderloin, geeeky part. Turn the 8820 "Off" (...noooooooo...don't just put him to sleep...are you lazy crazy...?). Once it is "dead", remove tha battery, wait for, well, (...I get to use my invention here...) RANDOM Time (just a couple of minutes will do just fine - Mr. Elton Brown)
Install the battery back, and wait for the RANDOM Time for the cyborg slave to boot up...
AND ....  Waaalllaaaa ... Abra-Ka-Dabra...YOU ARE CONNECTED !!!! (Thanku, Thanku, Thanku....for the loud appla......)

Now, you get to DRIVE...I am sooooo gooood to let you drive.... to a known "joint" (...ssshhhh...) where you may expect some WiFi crowd to flirt with (...come on..give your cyborg slave a break...). Initiate a scan, find an open hole and LOGIN and save it to your profile and the time please use good names ..mmm... like "FLIRT SITE".

Now, sadly, you have to drive back home (...flirting time is over...yes...just like that...:smileysad. Park your car (..do not leave the engine running with gears engaged...I will not be held accountable for your hast mistakes...:smileymad

Give the cyborg 8820 a few RANDOM Time to rest and Waaalllaaaa...YOU ARE BACK IN BUSINESS (...ssshhhh...).

Hope this helps. Contact me if you have any questions and every time you spell, speak, write, eat, {please don't go around the word filter} whatever..., the word "RANDOM", you will write me a royalty check for $ 000,000,000.01 (...maybe just pay me in Yen..it will be easier for your bank to handle that transaction...:smileywink

All have a great day (or night in Australia)  !!!!

Message Edited by tashina on 04-11-2008 04:36:21 PM
Message 9 of 12 (5,492 Views)
Contributor

Well Folks here's the ultimate solution for the wifi problem,found through trial and error and a bit of reasoning.
1) enable password function and enter a password.turn BB off and back on. 
2) repeatedly enter the wrong password until you begin getting the type "blackberry" prompt, keep entering the wrong password until the bb displayes last chance to enter password and go ahead and enter the wrong PW again.
3) this will cause a reset to occur resetting the BB and scrubbing all info from the BB.takes about 45 minutes for process to complete and reboot
4)after reboot set browser to wi-fi,go to set up wifi conn. ,select your router and select connect.
5)open browser and you will magically be connected .
Whatever you do,DO NOT connect your BB to your home computer to backup the system.There is apparently a conflict with the software on the AT&T disc which causes the BB to avoid connection using WIFI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Note: Blackberry maps will work for the gps function with no subscription fee but like the telenav program it uses the gsm/edge network to download and update maps which are billable data bits and they will show up on your bill.(got to love at&t marketing)
Message 10 of 12 (5,323 Views)
Contributor

Hmmm I gotta ask.... if the maps are free and the ability of the 8820 is it WILL do GPS..... and if I have unlimited Data Service.... can I do it and let it download all it wants?
Message 11 of 12 (1,284 Views)
Professor

WVDHS wrote:
Hmmm I gotta ask.... if the maps are free and the ability of the 8820 is it WILL do GPS..... and if I have unlimited Data Service.... can I do it and let it download all it wants?

Yes, with the unlimited data plan, you can download to your heart's content. Up to 5GB/month that is...
Message 12 of 12 (1,265 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.