National roll out starts mid April

Professor

National roll out starts mid April

Here is the PR.
Message Edited by guandalf on 03-24-2010 04:04:50 PM
Message 1 of 18
Contributor

Re: National roll out starts mid April

Very good news, except this is the part that scares me: "with new markets activating in cities across the continental U.S. for the next several months."  The next several months sound like what its been for the past year.  I dont live in a big city so I'm not expecting a roll out in my area anytime soon based on that statement...
Message 2 of 18
Explorer

Hopefully this is true. I wonder if the GPS requirement is dropped.

David

Message 3 of 18
Professor

No, it will still need the GPS.  Due to FCC regulations, they have to ensure that at&t is licensed to use the frequency in the area the microcell is in.  If you got out of the at&t service area with one, you would be infringing on someone else's radio license. 
Message 4 of 18
Tutor

um... yeah, no, the gps is actually for 911 forwarding and location services, not "infringing on a radio license" 

Message 5 of 18

Can you install it initially by a window so the GPS works, then move it inside later?

Message 6 of 18
Tutor

i believe the only requirement for the GPS is for inital lock on and set up, after that it can be moved, but i am not 100%. If you move to a different location with the box, you should re-sync your location

Message 7 of 18
Mentor

gcubed wrote:

i believe the only requirement for the GPS is for inital lock on and set up, after that it can be moved, but i am not 100%. If you move to a different location with the box, you should re-sync your location

Now that it will be available nationwide in the US, yes you should be able to move it by making changes on your online profile page at ATT.  However, it still will only work where ATT allows it - i.e. - not in Canada, Mexico, Europe, etc.

Message 8 of 18
Professor

At&t, and all carriers, have rights to use radio frequencies in the areas they service.  There are only 4 licenses issued in a given area.  If a device from at&t were to start recieving and transmitting signals in an area in which they do not have a licence, it is a violation of FCC regulations, and infringing on the license for the carriers that are licensed in the area.  That is why at&t (and all other femtocell users) are required to have the GPS feature.  Look at it this way - if a television station is broadcasting on channel 4, it would be the same violation if someone else were to set up a broadcasting tower and start transmitting on the same channel.  You most certainly can not, legally, use the at&t microcell to extend at&t service to an area they are not licensed in.

Besides, they can get your location now without the GPS of the microcell.  That was a federal mandate several years ago.

Message 9 of 18
Professor

BGR is reporting that national roll out might be taking place now.

Message 10 of 18
Mentor

Thanks guandalf but think you meant this link. The one you posted is from 3/24 & this one from today. ;-)

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/04/16/3g-microcells-finally-going-national/

Message 11 of 18
Professor

Bill48105 wrote:

Thanks guandalf but think you meant this link. The one you posted is from 3/24 & this one from today. ;-)

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/04/16/3g-microcells-finally-going-national/

Thanks for catching my mistake! Sorry about that. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 18
Mentor

No problemo, we're all human. Well, not you, you're a wizard!  But thanks to you I found the updated article so hey not a total loss. Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 18
Scholar

GPS will be required for e911 address compliance as well as to verify you are operating in an AT&T 3G licensed space. 

Every time the unit is powered up, the GPS checks the location.

Once you activate the device in an authorized area, you can move it to other authorized areas by registering the new address on your "myWireless Account" page.  You cannot move it to an area that has not yet been authorized.  For example, I am east of Denton.  If I take my MicroCell to Austin and try to use it, it will not work because as of today, Austin is not green yet.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 18
Mentor

What happens if you power it up in valid location, wait for it to work then move it to new location while keeping it powered up during transport while plugged into UPS battery backup? Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support