Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 24, 2012
4:33:37 AM
View profile
*NON* AT&T wifi? 8 Days into contract and at OVER HALF of my 3G Plan

Thinking I may have to go back to Sprint? ...

Was with Sprint for 10+years, unlimited plan so never had to worry about/monitor/restrict using my smartphone whenever I wanted to.

Now on 3G plan, and at only 8 days in I'm at over half my 3G plan, and have hardley watched ANYTHING. For school I watch training videos when commuting back & forth and have done NONE of that so far. Just downloading apps and listening to a handful of podcasts.

Also HORRIFIED to see all the posts about sneaky overages, and $10 bucks for an extra gig, wifi switching on and off...

My question is, is wifi only free thru an AT&T hotspot? My husband has a mobile wifi device that I can use, and my Samsung Galaxy Note recognizes it. The icon up top shows the wifi signal and not the 4G icon, so I *think* it's on wifi now. But on this site I'm only seeing official info from AT&T that there will be no data charges if we use AT&T hotspots.

Is that right? So if I use my own other hotspot then AT&T still makes charges against my data plan? Other than you lucky grandfathered in folks, doesn't AT&T have *any* unlimited plan for people who want to pay for it?

I have 3 weeks to cancel my new contract, but I swear I love this Galaxy Note, and Sprint doesn't seem to carry it.   

Signed,

Wanna be happy, but I need my friggin' data

Thinking I may have to go back to Sprint? ...

Was with Sprint for 10+years, unlimited plan so never had to worry about/monitor/restrict using my smartphone whenever I wanted to.

Now on 3G plan, and at only 8 days in I'm at over half my 3G plan, and have hardley watched ANYTHING. For school I watch training videos when commuting back & forth and have done NONE of that so far. Just downloading apps and listening to a handful of podcasts.

Also HORRIFIED to see all the posts about sneaky overages, and $10 bucks for an extra gig, wifi switching on and off...

My question is, is wifi only free thru an AT&T hotspot? My husband has a mobile wifi device that I can use, and my Samsung Galaxy Note recognizes it. The icon up top shows the wifi signal and not the 4G icon, so I *think* it's on wifi now. But on this site I'm only seeing official info from AT&T that there will be no data charges if we use AT&T hotspots.

Is that right? So if I use my own other hotspot then AT&T still makes charges against my data plan? Other than you lucky grandfathered in folks, doesn't AT&T have *any* unlimited plan for people who want to pay for it?

I have 3 weeks to cancel my new contract, but I swear I love this Galaxy Note, and Sprint doesn't seem to carry it.   

Signed,

Wanna be happy, but I need my friggin' data

*NON* AT&T wifi? 8 Days into contract and at OVER HALF of my 3G Plan

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 9:57:53 AM
(0)
Contributor
Of you are on WIFI you are not using the data on your plan, no charge. The reference to the AT&T Hotspots means that if you are some where that AT&T supplies the WIFI hotspot you can login with your account and not have to pay extra to use it. Like you would have to if you did not have a AT&T account.
Of you are on WIFI you are not using the data on your plan, no charge. The reference to the AT&T Hotspots means that if you are some where that AT&T supplies the WIFI hotspot you can login with your account and not have to pay extra to use it. Like you would have to if you did not have a AT&T account.

Re: *NON* AT&T wifi? 8 Days into contract and at OVER HALF of my 3G Plan

2 of 2 (274 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments