Posted Dec 18, 2011
11:09:06 AM
View profile
*NO* gingerbread update for the Samsung Captivate. Seems to be the final answer.

AT&T has not promised to release the gingerbread update.  There are vague "in the works" or "planned" mumbles from corporate but nothing that you can rely on.

AT&T is the last carrier in the world who has not yet made the gingerbread update available.

Until and unless AT&T makes an absolute statement that guarantees that the gingerbread update will be made available it should be concluded that they do not intend to releate one.

This from the company who told me outright and explicitly that they would rather see me take my four wireless lines and move to a different carrier than give me a $200 price break on a phone after having to replace devices six times under warranty.

AT&T clearly does not want my business.  This has been duly noticed.

*NO* gingerbread update for the Samsung Captivate. Seems to be the final answer.

39 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(39)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 11:27:33 AM
(0)
Teacher
Then take your business elsewhere if you're not happy. Pretty simple.

It's coming. It's just now being rolled out on the fascinate, which is Verizons version of the captivate. Tmobile version also. It's not always the carriers fault, and ya know.

Re: *NO* gingerbread update for the Samsung Captivate. Seems to be the final answer.

2 of 40 (2,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 2:06:25 PM
(0)
Guru

What did you expect?

NO carrier in the USA has to do anything they don't want to do (unless it is iphone related).

Updates?  LOL, IF you get one, look for it to be months late, stripped of features.  THAT is the world (in the USA)

of wireless we live in.  With just two "major" carriers in the USA, we have a duopoly .

Don't like at&t?  where you going to go...Verizon.  Read the Verizon boards and it's almost like reading at&t user

boards.   Sprint, T-Mobile and maybe a few regional carriers are all that is left in the USA. 

Until someone in power does something, this is how it is now.  You get the phones the carrier WANTS you to have,

with the features THEY want, and the ones that cut into their profit left out.

Re: *NO* gingerbread update for the Samsung Captivate. Seems to be the final answer.

3 of 40 (2,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 5:10:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I notice it's over a year since Gingerbread shipped. Between Samsung crapware and AT&T crapware, the delays un upgrading get really interesting.

4 of 40 (2,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 7:06:45 AM
(0)
Guru

GY wrote:

I notice it's over a year since Gingerbread shipped. Between Samsung crapware and AT&T crapware, the delays un upgrading get really interesting.

Definitely AT&T crapware - AT&T was busy putting Carrier IQ into their updates, then pulling it back out when Al Franken went after them.

Look at the I9000 - It's 95%+ identical to the Captivate, to the point where I9000 Gingerbread releases get ported to the Cappy with full functionality in a matter of days over on XDA.  But officially, the Captivate didn't get Froyo until after the I9000 got Gingerbread.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

5 of 40 (2,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 6:38:04 PM
(0)
Guru

GY wrote:

Goes against the business model that the carriers have in the states.

Why offer a software update to enhance performance, when we can delay delay delay in hopes that you will just

say screw it, and upgrade to a NEW device, with an extended contract.

6 of 40 (2,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 7:28:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dmcincubus wrote:
Then take your business elsewhere if you're not happy. Pretty simple.

It's coming. It's just now being rolled out on the fascinate, which is Verizons version of the captivate. Tmobile version also. It's not always the carriers fault, and ya know.

The Sprint version (Epic 4G) may have been updated; I haven't verified this.  But, the T-Mobile version (Vibrant) definitely has not been updated and no official word has been released to say that the Gingerbread update would ever be available to it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 40 (2,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 4:43:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

what about this news release: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices

It clearly states that Captivate, Infuse and number of other phones will get Gingerbread.

8 of 40 (2,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 5:16:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

I think the truth falls somewhere between "they changed their mind" and "they were lying".

Doesn't matter.  Samsung lacks the courage to stand up to AT&T and demand that AT&T stop preventing updates so my next phone will not be a Samsung.  AT&T simply doesn't care about me as a customer (my last interaction with them resulted in their first suggestion on how to resolve an issue was to calculate the early termination fee and tell me that my best option was to find another carrier and leave AT&T right here and now).

9 of 40 (2,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 10:42:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, I had similar experience. Clearly customers are last on their priority list.

10 of 40 (2,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 11:02:59 AM
(0)
Voyager
Upgrade Samsung Captivate (i897) to the Android 2.3 MR

Instructions:

The Samsung Captivate (i897) Android 2.3 upgrade adds enhanced performance, improved security, and additional features. Some of the new capabilities of this upgrade include:

Download Management
Intuitive Text Input
Gmail improvements
Search improvements
YouTube improvements
Updated Swype
The Android 2.3 upgrade can be applied to the Samsung Captivate only through side loading the update package to the device using the Samsung Kies Mini application. Important computer and device considerations for this upgrade can be found here.

OK, what is this from AT&T web page

Note :
Customer's currently running Android v2.1 (�clair) will go through a two-step process, first going from v2.1 to v2.2, then v2.2 to v2.3, all from the same URL above. Further details are available at the download site.

11 of 40 (2,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2012 12:08:38 PM
(0)
Teacher
I'll believe it when I see it. The link you posted "... can be found here" is invalid and leads to a dead page. Samsung says there is no release date scheduled. AT&T says there is no release date scheduled. Maybe there was once upon a time, but unless it actually comes out the presumption should be that it will not. AT&T has had months to do the right thing here - I make no apologies for my distrust of them.

12 of 40 (2,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2012 4:34:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

Just wanted to point out that it is now 1/5/2012.  The page you referenced still points to a dead link at Samsung.  AT&T and Samsung have both been aware of this and both say that there is no release of gingerbread scheduled.  Tech support from both companies say they have no idea what that page is about or why it is there.

So again, MAYBE AT&T will eventually release it, but until I see it I will not believe.

13 of 40 (1,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2012 2:34:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

Wanted to point out that that page has now been changed and shows only the instructions for how to upgrade to 2.2

"http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB118715&cv=820&ct=7400014&pv=3&title=Upgrade+Samsung+Captivate+%28i897%29+to+the+Android+2.3+MR#fbid=ko6kRbnBl5a"

Notice the 2.3 in the link?  That takes you to a page reading Upgrade Samsung Captivate (i897) to the Android 2.2 MR

Possible sign that they have decided against ever releasing gingerbread?  All signs point to yes... note that they STILL won't confirm gingerbread and they STILL insist that "there is no planned release".

14 of 40 (1,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 7:51:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

What's funny is they have a hard link on the left for Captivate (i897) OS 2.3, and a BUNCH of pages talking about how to do different things with OS 2.3.  Maybe they're just lazy and haven't removed them, or maybe they're leaving them because they do intend to release 2.3.  Who freaking knows.  What I know is that in 6 months, I'm getting a new phone from either AT&T or someone else that hopefully will have a better release schedule for updates, but most likely not.

15 of 40 (1,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 11:36:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

That's a bit of a blunder to say in an official press release that the Captivate was getting Gingerbread before the end of 2011 and then completely go silent on the topic. And a "bit of a blunder" is being generous.

16 of 40 (1,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2012 7:54:35 AM
(0)
Guru

Samsung posted UCKK4 source on opensource.samsung.com and there hasn't been a leak since then - good signs that UCKK4 is in the final stages of testing.

My guess is they're trying to figure out the best way to update without a high risk of bricking, since Gingerbread requires updated bootloaders.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

17 of 40 (1,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2012 10:42:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

Entropy512 wrote:

Samsung posted UCKK4 source on opensource.samsung.com and there hasn't been a leak since then - good signs that UCKK4 is in the final stages of testing.

My guess is they're trying to figure out the best way to update without a high risk of bricking, since Gingerbread requires updated bootloaders.

I agree with Entropy512... The I897UCKK4 source code being posted at the SOSRC is def a good sign. I've been running that ROM on my Captivate since it was released on 11/22/2011 and have had zero issues with it. Seems like a go to me. Bricking a captivate is hard especially if it's not an OTA update but one applied by Kies Mini. Low risk IMHO. The I897UCKK4 package is complete with bootloaders and ROM.

18 of 40 (1,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 6:13:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

19 of 40 (1,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 6:23:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

Awesome!  And here I was thinking of getting a Galaxy S II Skyrocket!  Pulling it down now, will post how it goes.

20 of 40 (1,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 6:31:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

Arg.  They are going to wipe the phone to do the update.  Didn't have to do that for Froyo.  Dammit, this is going to take a while.

21 of 40 (1,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 6:53:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

Corporate firewall is blocking Kies.  Will have to do this later it seems.  Dammit.

22 of 40 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 7:27:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

Found a way around the firewall and got my upgrade.  It went very smoothly and did *not* erase my data as it said it would, so good.  The only thing I noticed is that when the phone rebooted some tethering app shut down and had me force close it.  I don't have tethering on this phone, so I'm not sure what that's about.  Also, I'm not positive, but I may be missing an application or two that I used to have installed.  I don't know for sure since I had so many, and more than a couple were sideloaded so they won't show up in the Market.

23 of 40 (1,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 8:10:17 AM
(0)
Teacher
Does the UI look different in any way? Any graphical enhancements?

24 of 40 (1,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 9:24:51 AM
(0)
Teacher
I have to figure out how to back up the cut the rope progress before I flash.

25 of 40 (1,137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 11:32:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

The UI seems a bit more polished, everything seems snappier (faster/more responsive).  I am a little annoyed that the Silent button has been replaced with an Flight Mode button in the indicator quick menu.

26 of 40 (1,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 11:59:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

Aha! The Silent button has been moved to the power menu now.  Gotta love forums where everyone is exploring and posting all they find.

27 of 40 (1,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 4:16:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

How's everyones update experience going? Post any ??'s comments or issues here. I've probably dealt with them already. 

28 of 40 (1,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 4:50:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

Update completed (I'm surprised that AT&T came through on this one... they certainly need to learn something about PR though).

Was pleasantly surprised to note that all existing apps/data were preserved.

29 of 40 (1,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 6:17:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah it's funny on the Samsung site they say it will wipe the device bit it does not in practice.

30 of 40 (1,075 Views)