NO MORE DATA PLANS FOR PAYG USERS, IT'S TRUE.

pl1
Mentor

NO MORE DATA PLANS FOR PAYG USERS, IT'S TRUE.

So, let's see how this works out for AT&T. They eliminated all data plans from Pay As You Go users effective today. I know I'm heading to T-Mobile just as soon as my balance runs out. i might even leave earlier out of spite. Man Mad

Message 1 of 38 (9,094 Views)
Mentor

Re: NO MORE DATA PLANS FOR PAYG USERS, IT'S TRUE.

[ Edited ]
[quote]I never received the text message from AT&T regarding the change in data plans either. I found out about it by logging into my account on their website to check my data expiration date, and noticed the little yellow triangle and exclamation mark next to data package amounts. At first I was happy to see that they'd doubled the amount of data for the same price, and then angry to find out that I would have to change my rate plan to be eligible for data plans.[/quote] If I wasn't on top of the news is this is how I would've found out also, I never got a text message either.
Message 16 of 38 (8,466 Views)
Highlighted
nzn
Contributor

What a poor customer service -  I haven't received any txt message about the remove of data feature packages. 

I think I will donate the unused balance and move to T-mobile.

Message 17 of 38 (8,209 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

is there a t-mobile prepaid pay as you go pricing with mobile web that i can use as us-visitor?

Message 18 of 38 (8,195 Views)
pl1
Mentor

[ Edited ]

phou wrote:

is there a t-mobile prepaid pay as you go pricing with mobile web that i can use as us-visitor?

The only option with TMO PAYG is a $2/day plan (when you use it) for unlimited everything with data capped at 2G. And $3/day with unlimited everything, data at 4G for 200MB, then 2G.

One other option is to get a .10/min plan and switch plans on-line only on the days you want data, then switch back before midnight back to the .10/min plan to retain all of the PAYG benefits.

You could ask (for more info) in the T-Mobile forums http://support.t-mobile.com/community/plans_services?view=discussions or the Howard forums http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/343-T-Mobile-prepaid

EDIT: Also, be forwarned, that T-Mobile uses a different 3G/4G frequency from AT&T. Generally, all unlocked T-Mobile phones work on either AT&T or T-Mobile for 3G/4G. All unlocked AT&T phones only work on the AT&T network at 3G. (Do they even have 4G? I never saw it on my phone.) (And, there are exceptions, for example, the Google Nexus unlocked will work on both networks, which is not locked and is not tied to either carrier.)

Message 19 of 38 (8,191 Views)
Contributor

Wish I'd seen this thread sooner.

I'm in the UK and have just bought and activated a GoPhone SIM in preparation for a trip to the US next week.

I selected the 10c per min tarriff and topped up $25 with the intention of buying a $25 1GB data package. Except I can't.... thanks AT&T

So.... I have a SIM with $25 sat on it. AT&T can get stuffed if they think I'm going to burn through that at $2 per meg.

Can anyone tell me if I can use that $25 to switch the SIM to the $25 per month tarriff? I can't see anywhere on the (awful) website about how to do this.

Thanks,

Andy in the UK, frustrated at how difficult it is for travellers to buy cellular service in the US.

Message 20 of 38 (8,171 Views)
Employee

The website is still showing unlimited data for non smartphones and seperate data packages for smartphones.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 21 of 38 (8,139 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Andy, that will be $25 for talk & text plus another $25 for 1 GB data, with a total of $50 per month, provided that you do the refill when you arrive in the USA.

May I ask if you have already been assigned a new US mobile number? If that's true, you can do the switch when you arrive.

The AT&T Mobile Care App can be used to view/change rate plan right on your smartphone.
Message 22 of 38 (8,126 Views)
pl1
Mentor

JFizDaWiz wrote:
The website is still showing unlimited data for non smartphones and seperate data packages for smartphones.

“I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.”

That sure is interesting. I wonder why AT&T has not updated their site, and why you can still buy Gophones and refill cards with the same incorrect information on them? Just goes to show you, this 14 day notice was pretty unexpected. Because, it has been a Month now, and even AT&T employees are not aware of the change, of 

NO DATA FOR YOU PAYG USERS! 

Message 23 of 38 (8,115 Views)
Employee

They just changed the data plan for smartphone users on prepaid like not even 2 weeks ago. I doubt data is done with. I think there is another problem at hand
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 24 of 38 (8,094 Views)
pl1
Mentor

JFizDaWiz wrote:
They just changed the data plan for smartphone users on prepaid like not even 2 weeks ago. I doubt data is done with. I think there is another problem at hand

Here is the message we received via text on 4/4/12

"On 4/18 data packages and auto renew will be only available with monthly plans. Pls move to monthly plan if you want 2 continue data package use."

Message 25 of 38 (8,068 Views)
Tutor

I am unhappy as well. its unfair ATT doesnt give advance notice on  plan changes. also my automatic renewals were cancelled w/o my consent.

IN AMERICA - HOW CAN SOMEONE BE UNFAIR?

Message 26 of 38 (8,059 Views)
Employee

Oooh OK. The difference is the pay as you go and the pick your plan accounts.
Employee Contributor*
Message 27 of 38 (7,958 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

JFizDaWiz wrote:
Oooh OK. The difference is the pay as you go and the pick your plan accounts.

Hey JFizDaWiz!  Havent't you heard there at work that a lot of PAYG customers are really {word filter evasion}, not only for the change of policy itself but mostly for the way it was never announced in advanced to most of them?

If someone in at&t checks this forum and other internet forums they would quickly notice how upset people are. I wish you could pass this sentiment to your superiors there at at&t..

Message 28 of 38 (7,912 Views)
Teacher

So no one read the fine print:

GoPhone Pay As You Go: A compatible phone (not a data-only device) is required. Not all features work on all phones and in all areas. You must add money to your account within 26 days of activation, or your account will be cancelled. Pay As You Go cards and other account refills are nontransferable and nonrefundable. The *888* command for refill only works with PINS/Cards purchased from AT&T-owned retail stores and select authorized retail locations. Amounts deposited into your account expire in accordance with the stated refill denomination expiration period (e.g., $50/90 days). Unused account balance is forfeited upon expiration. If money is added to your account before the current balance expires, the existing balance will carry over to the new expiration date (Rollover Balance®). Pay As You Go accounts will be canceled 60 days after expiration. A service activation fee and new wireless phone number will be required to reactivate service. Account balance limit is $500; any amount over that limit will be deducted from your balance. 900 numbers are not available. Rates and services are subject to change. All service is subject to the GoPhone Terms of Service found in the User Guide.

Message 29 of 38 (7,350 Views)
Professor

radgoos wrote:

So no one read the fine print:

GoPhone Pay As You GoSmiley Sad...). Rates and services are subject to change. All service is subject to the GoPhone Terms of Service found in the User Guide.

Huh? No one is saying that at&t cannot change their rates and services. If from some point in time rates/services are changed, there is not much one can do about it, but at least you expect that rates and services that were already paid for to be delivered under the terms that were in effect when you paid for them. Right?

Also, at&t didn't make any effort in communicating to all its PAYGO customers about the changes in advance so they could better plan their purchases of such services. They were selling under the old terms through all their channels until the very last minute without any warning of the impending changes. Bait and Switch,

Message 30 of 38 (7,328 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.