Wireless Forums

Posted Apr 18, 2012
5:43:33 AM
View profile
NO MORE DATA PLANS FOR PAYG USERS, IT'S TRUE.

So, let's see how this works out for AT&T. They eliminated all data plans from Pay As You Go users effective today. I know I'm heading to T-Mobile just as soon as my balance runs out. i might even leave earlier out of spite. :manmad:

So, let's see how this works out for AT&T. They eliminated all data plans from Pay As You Go users effective today. I know I'm heading to T-Mobile just as soon as my balance runs out. i might even leave earlier out of spite. :manmad:

NO MORE DATA PLANS FOR PAYG USERS, IT'S TRUE.

37 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(37)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 7:58:55 AM
(0)
Professor

pl1 wrote:

Wow. So I guess those are $100 or so a year I'll save in data now that at&t doesn't want them from me as a Pay-As-You-Go user. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

pl1 wrote:

Wow. So I guess those are $100 or so a year I'll save in data now that at&t doesn't want them from me as a Pay-As-You-Go user. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Re: NO MORE DATA PLANS FOR PAYG USERS, IT'S TRUE.

2 of 38 (8,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2012 6:50:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

Unbelievable.   It's not just a cap but no data allowed whatsoever.  To make matters worse, there was NO ADVANCE NOTICE at all. 

Sheesh.  They could have given us a grace period.  This must be another brilliant idea from the genius who decided to waste billions in fines on the T-Mobile mess.

GoPhone just gave me a great reason to start looking at other carriers.

Unbelievable.   It's not just a cap but no data allowed whatsoever.  To make matters worse, there was NO ADVANCE NOTICE at all. 

Sheesh.  They could have given us a grace period.  This must be another brilliant idea from the genius who decided to waste billions in fines on the T-Mobile mess.

3 of 38 (8,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2012 9:07:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

rrgg wrote:

Amen!

rrgg wrote:

Amen!

4 of 38 (8,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2012 9:10:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

pl1 wrote:

I DID leave early and donated my money to charity via text message. I'd rather give my money to someone else. I didn't want to spend another dime from my balance on AT&T and I knew I could not get a refund. 

pl1 wrote:

I DID leave early and donated my money to charity via text message. I'd rather give my money to someone else. I didn't want to spend another dime from my balance on AT&T and I knew I could not get a refund. 

5 of 38 (8,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2012 1:47:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

Add me to the disgruntled masses.  Based upon AT&Ts offering, I bought their phone, (ATT Thrive) for about $160 and have "prepaid" account of about $140... after having about $300 invested in being with them as a carrier, they change the rules.  I am outraged.  I expressed my dissatisfaction with their customer service and have also sent my complaint to the FCC.

Add me to the disgruntled masses.  Based upon AT&Ts offering, I bought their phone, (ATT Thrive) for about $160 and have "prepaid" account of about $140... after having about $300 invested in being with them as a carrier, they change the rules.  I am outraged.  I expressed my dissatisfaction with their customer service and have also sent my complaint to the FCC.

6 of 38 (8,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2012 2:36:20 PM
(0)
Employee
Where did you read that? Att just announced data plans last week I doubt they trashed it all
Where did you read that? Att just announced data plans last week I doubt they trashed it all
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 38 (8,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2012 4:34:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pl1 on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:34:50 PM

JFizDaWiz wrote:

It's too bad that your own company does not make you aware of changes to their TOS. We 10cent/min PAYG customers received a text from your company with two weeks notice stating that we could no longer buy data after 4/18/12 unless we switched to the $25 or $50/month plan. So, we are all (a lot are?) leaving. 

JFizDaWiz wrote:

It's too bad that your own company does not make you aware of changes to their TOS. We 10cent/min PAYG customers received a text from your company with two weeks notice stating that we could no longer buy data after 4/18/12 unless we switched to the $25 or $50/month plan. So, we are all (a lot are?) leaving. 

[ Edited ]
8 of 38 (8,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2012 4:39:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

You can still buy data plans as a Go Phone user, but no longer if your rate plan is either the 10 cents/minute or $2 day unlimited plan. You have to change your rate plan to either the $25 a month for 250 voice minutes and unlimited texts, or the $50 per month unlimited, in order to purchase or renew a data plan. Which really sucks. I'm on a very tight budget, and don't use my phone often enough to need the $25 a month plan. I'm on the $2 day unlimited, and use 3G only occaisonally. It was nice to have when wifi wasn't available. But, I don't use it enough to step up to the $25 plan. So, I intend to do without 3G, or possibly switch to an alternative carrier.

You can still buy data plans as a Go Phone user, but no longer if your rate plan is either the 10 cents/minute or $2 day unlimited plan. You have to change your rate plan to either the $25 a month for 250 voice minutes and unlimited texts, or the $50 per month unlimited, in order to purchase or renew a data plan. Which really sucks. I'm on a very tight budget, and don't use my phone often enough to need the $25 a month plan. I'm on the $2 day unlimited, and use 3G only occaisonally. It was nice to have when wifi wasn't available. But, I don't use it enough to step up to the $25 plan. So, I intend to do without 3G, or possibly switch to an alternative carrier.

9 of 38 (8,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2012 7:52:30 AM
(0)
Employee
Pl1 I work in postpaid so I don't pay attention to changes in prepaid is all
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 38 (8,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2012 7:52:44 AM
(0)
Employee
And I've been off work for the past few days
And I've been off work for the past few days

11 of 38 (8,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2012 8:09:43 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pl1 on Apr 28, 2012 at 8:10:38 AM

JFizDaWiz wrote:

NO Problem. But, imagine, you are an employee, and you were not aware. Some of us received text messages on 4/4/12. Not everyone got one. The text message was similar to what a kid would send, meaning, it was not official looking at all. So, there is a lot of outrage. I believe that AT&T should have grandfathered everything until our current term was due to end. For example, I loaded $105 on 2/24/12 so I should have been given that year OR when my balance ran out. Instead, we were told we can not refill after 4/18/12. Plus, I just bought a phone around the same date. So, I'm out a lot of money and I'm not alone.

Here is the text we received.

"On 4/18 data packages and auto renew will be only available with monthly plans. Pls move to monthly plan if you want 2 continue data package use."

Here is the story with a bunch of irate customers.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2012/04/developing-at-says-no-more-data.html

Thanks for listening.:smileyhappy:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

NO Problem. But, imagine, you are an employee, and you were not aware. Some of us received text messages on 4/4/12. Not everyone got one. The text message was similar to what a kid would send, meaning, it was not official looking at all. So, there is a lot of outrage. I believe that AT&T should have grandfathered everything until our current term was due to end. For example, I loaded $105 on 2/24/12 so I should have been given that year OR when my balance ran out. Instead, we were told we can not refill after 4/18/12. Plus, I just bought a phone around the same date. So, I'm out a lot of money and I'm not alone.

Here is the text we received.

"On 4/18 data packages and auto renew will be only available with monthly plans. Pls move to monthly plan if you want 2 continue data package use."

Here is the story with a bunch of irate customers.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2012/04/developing-at-says-no-more-data.html

Thanks for listening.:smileyhappy:

[ Edited ]
12 of 38 (8,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2012 2:03:54 PM
(0)
Scholar
I'd like to mention I haven't received any message at all on my 4 GoPhone lines subscribed to data feature packages. That's just poor customer service.
I'd like to mention I haven't received any message at all on my 4 GoPhone lines subscribed to data feature packages. That's just poor customer service.

13 of 38 (8,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2012 9:23:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I also wasn't informed that the rules were changing and recharged my account one week before everything felt apart.

But the worst part was how I discovered it: i was using Google maps as I was driving around and suddenly received a SMS telling me that $10 were just debited from my account !!!! I'm feeling betrayed : this is NOT a way to treat customers.

1. This is absolutely crazy that we were not informed about that change

2. Even those who were, getting this information 15 days in advance is abosutely outrageous.

3. The price that they want us to pay for internet is ridiculous : 2 dollars per 1MB!!! (the equivalent of the 200MB package would cost now $400!!) It's like being robed, no more no less.

I will never use AT&T again and I will let everybody know around me that they should not use a company that are treating their customers so badly.

And for those who are considering switching to the $25 monthly plan : what garantee do you have that they will not change the rules again to have everybody on their $50 plan??? I would not trust them.

I also wasn't informed that the rules were changing and recharged my account one week before everything felt apart.

But the worst part was how I discovered it: i was using Google maps as I was driving around and suddenly received a SMS telling me that $10 were just debited from my account !!!! I'm feeling betrayed : this is NOT a way to treat customers.

1. This is absolutely crazy that we were not informed about that change

2. Even those who were, getting this information 15 days in advance is abosutely outrageous.

3. The price that they want us to pay for internet is ridiculous : 2 dollars per 1MB!!! (the equivalent of the 200MB package would cost now $400!!) It's like being robed, no more no less.

I will never use AT&T again and I will let everybody know around me that they should not use a company that are treating their customers so badly.

And for those who are considering switching to the $25 monthly plan : what garantee do you have that they will not change the rules again to have everybody on their $50 plan??? I would not trust them.

14 of 38 (8,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2012 12:21:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

I never received the text message from AT&T regarding the change in data plans either. I found out about it by logging into my account on their website to check my data expiration date, and noticed the little yellow triangle and exclamation mark next to data package amounts. At first I was happy to see that they'd doubled the amount of data for the same price, and then angry to find out that I would have to change my rate plan to be eligible for data plans.

I never received the text message from AT&T regarding the change in data plans either. I found out about it by logging into my account on their website to check my data expiration date, and noticed the little yellow triangle and exclamation mark next to data package amounts. At first I was happy to see that they'd doubled the amount of data for the same price, and then angry to find out that I would have to change my rate plan to be eligible for data plans.

15 of 38 (8,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2012 9:42:08 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by MaxBurn on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:42:39 AM
[quote]I never received the text message from AT&T regarding the change in data plans either. I found out about it by logging into my account on their website to check my data expiration date, and noticed the little yellow triangle and exclamation mark next to data package amounts. At first I was happy to see that they'd doubled the amount of data for the same price, and then angry to find out that I would have to change my rate plan to be eligible for data plans.[/quote] If I wasn't on top of the news is this is how I would've found out also, I never got a text message either.
[quote]I never received the text message from AT&T regarding the change in data plans either. I found out about it by logging into my account on their website to check my data expiration date, and noticed the little yellow triangle and exclamation mark next to data package amounts. At first I was happy to see that they'd doubled the amount of data for the same price, and then angry to find out that I would have to change my rate plan to be eligible for data plans.[/quote] If I wasn't on top of the news is this is how I would've found out also, I never got a text message either.

[ Edited ]
16 of 38 (8,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 12:08:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

What a poor customer service -  I haven't received any txt message about the remove of data feature packages. 

I think I will donate the unused balance and move to T-mobile.

What a poor customer service -  I haven't received any txt message about the remove of data feature packages. 

I think I will donate the unused balance and move to T-mobile.

17 of 38 (7,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 3:39:53 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by phou on May 5, 2012 at 3:41:16 AM

is there a t-mobile prepaid pay as you go pricing with mobile web that i can use as us-visitor?

is there a t-mobile prepaid pay as you go pricing with mobile web that i can use as us-visitor?

[ Edited ]
18 of 38 (7,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 3:59:19 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pl1 on May 5, 2012 at 4:08:30 AM

phou wrote:

The only option with TMO PAYG is a $2/day plan (when you use it) for unlimited everything with data capped at 2G. And $3/day with unlimited everything, data at 4G for 200MB, then 2G.

One other option is to get a .10/min plan and switch plans on-line only on the days you want data, then switch back before midnight back to the .10/min plan to retain all of the PAYG benefits.

You could ask (for more info) in the T-Mobile forums http://support.t-mobile.com/community/plans_services?view=discussions or the Howard forums http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/343-T-Mobile-prepaid

EDIT: Also, be forwarned, that T-Mobile uses a different 3G/4G frequency from AT&T. Generally, all unlocked T-Mobile phones work on either AT&T or T-Mobile for 3G/4G. All unlocked AT&T phones only work on the AT&T network at 3G. (Do they even have 4G? I never saw it on my phone.) (And, there are exceptions, for example, the Google Nexus unlocked will work on both networks, which is not locked and is not tied to either carrier.)

phou wrote:

The only option with TMO PAYG is a $2/day plan (when you use it) for unlimited everything with data capped at 2G. And $3/day with unlimited everything, data at 4G for 200MB, then 2G.

One other option is to get a .10/min plan and switch plans on-line only on the days you want data, then switch back before midnight back to the .10/min plan to retain all of the PAYG benefits.

You could ask (for more info) in the T-Mobile forums http://support.t-mobile.com/community/plans_services?view=discussions or the Howard forums http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/343-T-Mobile-prepaid

EDIT: Also, be forwarned, that T-Mobile uses a different 3G/4G frequency from AT&T. Generally, all unlocked T-Mobile phones work on either AT&T or T-Mobile for 3G/4G. All unlocked AT&T phones only work on the AT&T network at 3G. (Do they even have 4G? I never saw it on my phone.) (And, there are exceptions, for example, the Google Nexus unlocked will work on both networks, which is not locked and is not tied to either carrier.)

[ Edited ]
19 of 38 (7,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 6:17:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

Wish I'd seen this thread sooner.

I'm in the UK and have just bought and activated a GoPhone SIM in preparation for a trip to the US next week.

I selected the 10c per min tarriff and topped up $25 with the intention of buying a $25 1GB data package. Except I can't.... thanks AT&T

So.... I have a SIM with $25 sat on it. AT&T can get stuffed if they think I'm going to burn through that at $2 per meg.

Can anyone tell me if I can use that $25 to switch the SIM to the $25 per month tarriff? I can't see anywhere on the (awful) website about how to do this.

Thanks,

Andy in the UK, frustrated at how difficult it is for travellers to buy cellular service in the US.

Wish I'd seen this thread sooner.

I'm in the UK and have just bought and activated a GoPhone SIM in preparation for a trip to the US next week.

I selected the 10c per min tarriff and topped up $25 with the intention of buying a $25 1GB data package. Except I can't.... thanks AT&T

So.... I have a SIM with $25 sat on it. AT&T can get stuffed if they think I'm going to burn through that at $2 per meg.

Can anyone tell me if I can use that $25 to switch the SIM to the $25 per month tarriff? I can't see anywhere on the (awful) website about how to do this.

Thanks,

Andy in the UK, frustrated at how difficult it is for travellers to buy cellular service in the US.

20 of 38 (7,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 10:22:34 AM
(0)
Employee
The website is still showing unlimited data for non smartphones and seperate data packages for smartphones.
The website is still showing unlimited data for non smartphones and seperate data packages for smartphones.

21 of 38 (7,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 10:55:35 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on May 5, 2012 at 11:25:47 AM

Andy, that will be $25 for talk & text plus another $25 for 1 GB data, with a total of $50 per month, provided that you do the refill when you arrive in the USA.

May I ask if you have already been assigned a new US mobile number? If that's true, you can do the switch when you arrive.

The AT&T Mobile Care App can be used to view/change rate plan right on your smartphone.

Andy, that will be $25 for talk & text plus another $25 for 1 GB data, with a total of $50 per month, provided that you do the refill when you arrive in the USA.

May I ask if you have already been assigned a new US mobile number? If that's true, you can do the switch when you arrive.

The AT&T Mobile Care App can be used to view/change rate plan right on your smartphone.

[ Edited ]
22 of 38 (7,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 11:26:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

JFizDaWiz wrote:

“I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.”

That sure is interesting. I wonder why AT&T has not updated their site, and why you can still buy Gophones and refill cards with the same incorrect information on them? Just goes to show you, this 14 day notice was pretty unexpected. Because, it has been a Month now, and even AT&T employees are not aware of the change, of 

NO DATA FOR YOU PAYG USERS! 

JFizDaWiz wrote:

“I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.”

That sure is interesting. I wonder why AT&T has not updated their site, and why you can still buy Gophones and refill cards with the same incorrect information on them? Just goes to show you, this 14 day notice was pretty unexpected. Because, it has been a Month now, and even AT&T employees are not aware of the change, of 

NO DATA FOR YOU PAYG USERS! 

23 of 38 (7,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 2:19:13 PM
(0)
Employee
They just changed the data plan for smartphone users on prepaid like not even 2 weeks ago. I doubt data is done with. I think there is another problem at hand
They just changed the data plan for smartphone users on prepaid like not even 2 weeks ago. I doubt data is done with. I think there is another problem at hand

24 of 38 (7,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 6:09:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Here is the message we received via text on 4/4/12

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Here is the message we received via text on 4/4/12

25 of 38 (7,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 10:35:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am unhappy as well. its unfair ATT doesnt give advance notice on  plan changes. also my automatic renewals were cancelled w/o my consent.

IN AMERICA - HOW CAN SOMEONE BE UNFAIR?

I am unhappy as well. its unfair ATT doesnt give advance notice on  plan changes. also my automatic renewals were cancelled w/o my consent.

IN AMERICA - HOW CAN SOMEONE BE UNFAIR?

26 of 38 (7,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2012 12:10:18 AM
(0)
Employee
Oooh OK. The difference is the pay as you go and the pick your plan accounts.

27 of 38 (7,722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2012 7:55:59 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ShaunMN on May 22, 2012 at 4:19:53 PM

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Hey JFizDaWiz!  Havent't you heard there at work that a lot of PAYG customers are really {word filter evasion}, not only for the change of policy itself but mostly for the way it was never announced in advanced to most of them?

If someone in at&t checks this forum and other internet forums they would quickly notice how upset people are. I wish you could pass this sentiment to your superiors there at at&t..

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Hey JFizDaWiz!  Havent't you heard there at work that a lot of PAYG customers are really {word filter evasion}, not only for the change of policy itself but mostly for the way it was never announced in advanced to most of them?

If someone in at&t checks this forum and other internet forums they would quickly notice how upset people are. I wish you could pass this sentiment to your superiors there at at&t..

[ Edited ]
28 of 38 (7,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2012 3:48:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

So no one read the fine print:

GoPhone Pay As You Go: A compatible phone (not a data-only device) is required. Not all features work on all phones and in all areas. You must add money to your account within 26 days of activation, or your account will be cancelled. Pay As You Go cards and other account refills are nontransferable and nonrefundable. The *888* command for refill only works with PINS/Cards purchased from AT&T-owned retail stores and select authorized retail locations. Amounts deposited into your account expire in accordance with the stated refill denomination expiration period (e.g., $50/90 days). Unused account balance is forfeited upon expiration. If money is added to your account before the current balance expires, the existing balance will carry over to the new expiration date (Rollover Balance®). Pay As You Go accounts will be canceled 60 days after expiration. A service activation fee and new wireless phone number will be required to reactivate service. Account balance limit is $500; any amount over that limit will be deducted from your balance. 900 numbers are not available. Rates and services are subject to change. All service is subject to the GoPhone Terms of Service found in the User Guide.

GoPhone Pay As You Go: A compatible phone (not a data-only device) is required. Not all features work on all phones and in all areas. You must add money to your account within 26 days of activation, or your account will be cancelled. Pay As You Go cards and other account refills are nontransferable and nonrefundable. The *888* command for refill only works with PINS/Cards purchased from AT&T-owned retail stores and select authorized retail locations. Amounts deposited into your account expire in accordance with the stated refill denomination expiration period (e.g., $50/90 days). Unused account balance is forfeited upon expiration. If money is added to your account before the current balance expires, the existing balance will carry over to the new expiration date (Rollover Balance®). Pay As You Go accounts will be canceled 60 days after expiration. A service activation fee and new wireless phone number will be required to reactivate service. Account balance limit is $500; any amount over that limit will be deducted from your balance. 900 numbers are not available. Rates and services are subject to change. All service is subject to the GoPhone Terms of Service found in the User Guide.

------------------- Posted from my mobile I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions. Did my post help you out? Make sure you click Kudos or Accepted Solution!

29 of 38 (7,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2012 9:09:12 PM
(0)
Professor

radgoos wrote:

GoPhone Pay As You Go:smileysad:...). Rates and services are subject to change. All service is subject to the GoPhone Terms of Service found in the User Guide.

Huh? No one is saying that at&t cannot change their rates and services. If from some point in time rates/services are changed, there is not much one can do about it, but at least you expect that rates and services that were already paid for to be delivered under the terms that were in effect when you paid for them. Right?

Also, at&t didn't make any effort in communicating to all its PAYGO customers about the changes in advance so they could better plan their purchases of such services. They were selling under the old terms through all their channels until the very last minute without any warning of the impending changes. Bait and Switch,

radgoos wrote:

GoPhone Pay As You Go:smileysad:...). Rates and services are subject to change. All service is subject to the GoPhone Terms of Service found in the User Guide.

Huh? No one is saying that at&t cannot change their rates and services. If from some point in time rates/services are changed, there is not much one can do about it, but at least you expect that rates and services that were already paid for to be delivered under the terms that were in effect when you paid for them. Right?

Also, at&t didn't make any effort in communicating to all its PAYGO customers about the changes in advance so they could better plan their purchases of such services. They were selling under the old terms through all their channels until the very last minute without any warning of the impending changes. Bait and Switch,

30 of 38 (7,092 Views)