Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 2, 2011
3:31:22 AM
View profile
NO 3G in area where should b, and wondering about 4G sim card

Hello,

I live in Holdenville, OK. About 6 months ago I was told there was finally 3G signal in my area and not just Edge. I was told this by an ATT store rep.

Well, still no 3G signal, and when I go to the coverage map online, my area is bright orange showing it should be.

Also, I upgraded to my iPhone beginning of March. I was given a 3G sim card. My sister went 3 weeks later and was given a 4G card b/c it was soon to be out. 

Should I be receiving a new 4G sim in the mail, or go pick one up for free, since I should of received one like sister did, that close together. I also wonder, since I have 3G card and can't get 3G signal, when I get 4G card will I then get 3G? Good question... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

HELP! Smiley Tongue

Hello,

I live in Holdenville, OK. About 6 months ago I was told there was finally 3G signal in my area and not just Edge. I was told this by an ATT store rep.

Well, still no 3G signal, and when I go to the coverage map online, my area is bright orange showing it should be.

Also, I upgraded to my iPhone beginning of March. I was given a 3G sim card. My sister went 3 weeks later and was given a 4G card b/c it was soon to be out. 

Should I be receiving a new 4G sim in the mail, or go pick one up for free, since I should of received one like sister did, that close together. I also wonder, since I have 3G card and can't get 3G signal, when I get 4G card will I then get 3G? Good question... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

HELP! Smiley Tongue

NO 3G in area where should b, and wondering about 4G sim card

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 5:37:58 AM
(0)
Professor

Until Apple releases a "4G" iPhone, it is simply not possible to get 4G regardless of what SIM card you have.  The device does not have the hardware required to connect to the "4G" network.

That being said, which specific device do you have?  If you have the original iPhone, it is 2G or EDGE only.

Until Apple releases a "4G" iPhone, it is simply not possible to get 4G regardless of what SIM card you have.  The device does not have the hardware required to connect to the "4G" network.

That being said, which specific device do you have?  If you have the original iPhone, it is 2G or EDGE only.

Re: NO 3G in area where should b, and wondering about 4G sim card

2 of 4 (616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 6:20:57 AM
(0)
Professor
There is no "3G" card, and I doubt there is a "4G" one either. The cards just hold account data; it's the internal hardware in the phone as well as what signal the towers are putting out that determines what data service you get. Assuming that data on your phone is turned on, unless your phone has the proper hardware and the towers are sending the proper data signal, you won't get it no matter what card is in the phone.

The original iPhone came with SIM cards that said "3G" on them, but they simply weren't capable of getting 3G data. I think the "3G" SIM cards had more storage for information than earlier SIMs, but they don't make a phone capable of getting or not getting 3G data service.
There is no "3G" card, and I doubt there is a "4G" one either. The cards just hold account data; it's the internal hardware in the phone as well as what signal the towers are putting out that determines what data service you get. Assuming that data on your phone is turned on, unless your phone has the proper hardware and the towers are sending the proper data signal, you won't get it no matter what card is in the phone.

The original iPhone came with SIM cards that said "3G" on them, but they simply weren't capable of getting 3G data. I think the "3G" SIM cards had more storage for information than earlier SIMs, but they don't make a phone capable of getting or not getting 3G data service.

3 of 4 (611 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 1:01:38 PM
(0)
Master

dwill05 wrote:

There are some technical differences between the ancient sims and the newer onces that support 3G.  I do not know if a technically different sim is necessary for a 4G network however, the SIM cannot get you 3G or 4G unless your device has the radio's inside to support the frequency, protocol, and speed of the data network type.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

dwill05 wrote:

There are some technical differences between the ancient sims and the newer onces that support 3G.  I do not know if a technically different sim is necessary for a 4G network however, the SIM cannot get you 3G or 4G unless your device has the radio's inside to support the frequency, protocol, and speed of the data network type.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

4 of 4 (595 Views)