Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 8, 2011
2:48:41 PM
NEWBY

I am FINALLY trying to upgrade my phone, but I need some advice.  I have rarely accessed the internet from my phone, I take some pictures, and text some, but I would like to start accessing the internet more, use FB, and have the ability to do a little more than I do now, but my dilemma is which phone to choose!!!!  I am an AT&T retiree, so I do receive a discount when I upgrade, but I am so confused now as to what I would need to add in order to do the above mentioned things.  I don't need an expensive phone, but I would like a reliable one and most importantly one that is user friendly!!

If there is anyone that can help me choose or explain what is best for a "newby", I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. I currently have a Samsung Solstice, which I am okay with, but the speaker phone has never worked properly, and I am not sure it's the best model for what I want to do. 

I am FINALLY trying to upgrade my phone, but I need some advice.  I have rarely accessed the internet from my phone, I take some pictures, and text some, but I would like to start accessing the internet more, use FB, and have the ability to do a little more than I do now, but my dilemma is which phone to choose!!!!  I am an AT&T retiree, so I do receive a discount when I upgrade, but I am so confused now as to what I would need to add in order to do the above mentioned things.  I don't need an expensive phone, but I would like a reliable one and most importantly one that is user friendly!!

If there is anyone that can help me choose or explain what is best for a "newby", I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. I currently have a Samsung Solstice, which I am okay with, but the speaker phone has never worked properly, and I am not sure it's the best model for what I want to do. 

NEWBY

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 6:47:12 PM
(0)
Guru
Try iPhone easiest phone to use. and alot of features. Smiley Happy

Re: NEWBY

2 of 19 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 6:14:54 AM
(0)
Expert

coolrhyme wrote:

WHY on earth is ATT ALWAYS trying to push the iPhone??? Smiley Indifferent You would think it's the ONLY phone that exsists!!Smiley Mad There are many other phones besides the iPhone that the OP can utilize.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

coolrhyme wrote:

WHY on earth is ATT ALWAYS trying to push the iPhone??? Smiley Indifferent You would think it's the ONLY phone that exsists!!Smiley Mad There are many other phones besides the iPhone that the OP can utilize.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

3 of 19 (138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 6:20:35 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Oct 9, 2011 at 6:22:11 AM

Brandnewrne...I hope I spelled your name correctly. Anyway, have you checked the phones listed by ATT? You would have to decide if you would like a Dumbphone, (which ATT seems to have little choice of), a Messaging phone or a Smartphone as to what would meet your needs. 

You can access the internet, FB and text on any phone but it also depends on what you would want to spend. I would suggest to check what ATT has to offer because everyone's opinion differs.

I, myself, have a Nokia Mural dumbphone and it serves my purpose, for the time being, and it also doesn't cost me an arm and a leg every month. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Brandnewrne...I hope I spelled your name correctly. Anyway, have you checked the phones listed by ATT? You would have to decide if you would like a Dumbphone, (which ATT seems to have little choice of), a Messaging phone or a Smartphone as to what would meet your needs. 

You can access the internet, FB and text on any phone but it also depends on what you would want to spend. I would suggest to check what ATT has to offer because everyone's opinion differs.

I, myself, have a Nokia Mural dumbphone and it serves my purpose, for the time being, and it also doesn't cost me an arm and a leg every month. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
4 of 19 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 9:44:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you!!!  I will take a look at their site!

Thank you!!!  I will take a look at their site!

5 of 19 (131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 9:47:49 AM
(0)
Tutor
You are right, I don't think I need all the bells and whistles the iPhone, plus the cost for all that is beyond what I need!!!! Guess I should have stated in my original message that cost was also an issue....the discount they give us retirees isn't all that great either!!
You are right, I don't think I need all the bells and whistles the iPhone, plus the cost for all that is beyond what I need!!!! Guess I should have stated in my original message that cost was also an issue....the discount they give us retirees isn't all that great either!!

6 of 19 (130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 9:50:22 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks, but the iPhone has features I will NEVER use!!! The cost for all those features is way more than I wanted to pay. If AT&T were smart they would offer a plan for retiree's, especially ones that used to work for them! I'll take a look at that phone, but I am sure it's a lot more than I need or want right now!
Thanks, but the iPhone has features I will NEVER use!!! The cost for all those features is way more than I wanted to pay. If AT&T were smart they would offer a plan for retiree's, especially ones that used to work for them! I'll take a look at that phone, but I am sure it's a lot more than I need or want right now!

7 of 19 (130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 10:20:56 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Oct 9, 2011 at 10:21:36 AM

Brandnewme, You may want to check the Messaging Phones. Then you may want to decide if you want a touchscreen or not. My

sister recently purchased the Samsung Evergreen, (NOT a touchscreen). It took a little getting used to but she loves her phone now. It

just depends on what you prefer.. good luck. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Brandnewme, You may want to check the Messaging Phones. Then you may want to decide if you want a touchscreen or not. My

sister recently purchased the Samsung Evergreen, (NOT a touchscreen). It took a little getting used to but she loves her phone now. It

just depends on what you prefer.. good luck. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
8 of 19 (127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 10:48:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

That is great news, because I was actually looking at that one!!!  Thanks!!! Smiley Happy

That is great news, because I was actually looking at that one!!!  Thanks!!! Smiley Happy

9 of 19 (124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:20:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Okay. You are not in the market for a smartphone. Check that off the list.

The Solstice is a very nice phone indeed. My sister has one, but upgrades do come around every now and then. The phone I am going to recommend for you is no longer available in AT&T stores/retailers to my knowledge, but I would strongly recommend a Samsung Mythic. It's very similar to your Solstice so there would not be much of a learning curve. The Mythic's features over the Solstice include a larger screen, more things to do and places to go, a 3.2MP camera with a camera flash (great for picture taking Smiley Happy) and you can have your already unlimited QMD data plan. Do you enjoy using your current Solstice, and would you prefer a physical keyboard over a touchscreen one?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Okay. You are not in the market for a smartphone. Check that off the list.

The Solstice is a very nice phone indeed. My sister has one, but upgrades do come around every now and then. The phone I am going to recommend for you is no longer available in AT&T stores/retailers to my knowledge, but I would strongly recommend a Samsung Mythic. It's very similar to your Solstice so there would not be much of a learning curve. The Mythic's features over the Solstice include a larger screen, more things to do and places to go, a 3.2MP camera with a camera flash (great for picture taking Smiley Happy) and you can have your already unlimited QMD data plan. Do you enjoy using your current Solstice, and would you prefer a physical keyboard over a touchscreen one?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 19 (121 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:22:35 AM
(0)
Expert

Brandnewme wrote:

You're very welcome. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Brandnewme wrote:

You're very welcome. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

11 of 19 (129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:23:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Dcookie wrote:

coolrhyme wrote:

Ever since 2007, the iPhone seems to be AT&T's "flagship" phone. You would think that since AT&T has lost their exclusivity of the iPhone, they would back off. They must have a strong liking or even a contract with Apple.

Dcookie wrote:

coolrhyme wrote:

Ever since 2007, the iPhone seems to be AT&T's "flagship" phone. You would think that since AT&T has lost their exclusivity of the iPhone, they would back off. They must have a strong liking or even a contract with Apple.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 19 (129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:26:43 AM
(0)
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

coolrhyme wrote:

All, I know, to be honest, is that I am TIRED of hearing ATT push the iPhone. Not everyone WANTS or NEEDS an IPhone. Geez, you would think that is the ONLY phone ATT carries! Smiley Indifferent

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Wild Banchi wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

coolrhyme wrote:

All, I know, to be honest, is that I am TIRED of hearing ATT push the iPhone. Not everyone WANTS or NEEDS an IPhone. Geez, you would think that is the ONLY phone ATT carries! Smiley Indifferent

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

13 of 19 (127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:26:49 AM
(0)
Tutor
I think a physical keyboard might work out and it would definitely be something to try. I will check it out. Not sure a smartphone is ruled out just yet, but I am just trying to get some help from this site in order to help me decide what is best for me. I read some of the reviews on a phone that looks like it will work and most are not good, so that is why I have such a dilemma! I appreciate your feedback very much!!!!!
I think a physical keyboard might work out and it would definitely be something to try. I will check it out. Not sure a smartphone is ruled out just yet, but I am just trying to get some help from this site in order to help me decide what is best for me. I read some of the reviews on a phone that looks like it will work and most are not good, so that is why I have such a dilemma! I appreciate your feedback very much!!!!!

14 of 19 (126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:30:06 AM
(0)
Expert

There are good and bad points about EVERY phone...even the iPhone, believe it or not. I'm sure you'll make the right decision as to what works best for you...you just have to do a little research but it CAN be confusing. Let us know what you decide. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

There are good and bad points about EVERY phone...even the iPhone, believe it or not. I'm sure you'll make the right decision as to what works best for you...you just have to do a little research but it CAN be confusing. Let us know what you decide. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

15 of 19 (122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:34:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Brandnewme wrote:
Okay. That's absolutely fine. I just personally like touch screen keyboards better. Smiley Tongue

You're welcome! Good luck with your decision!

Brandnewme wrote:
Okay. That's absolutely fine. I just personally like touch screen keyboards better. Smiley Tongue

You're welcome! Good luck with your decision!

16 of 19 (119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:37:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Dcookie wrote:
All, I know, to be honest, is that I am TIRED of hearing ATT push the iPhone. Not everyone WANTS or NEEDS an IPhone. Geez, you would think that is the ONLY phone ATT carries! 

I hate to go off topic and pollute this thread, but Dcookie, Android is the way to go! Smiley Wink

(Off-topic once more...sorry... Dcookie, I like your new signature! Smiley Happy)

Dcookie wrote:
All, I know, to be honest, is that I am TIRED of hearing ATT push the iPhone. Not everyone WANTS or NEEDS an IPhone. Geez, you would think that is the ONLY phone ATT carries! 

I hate to go off topic and pollute this thread, but Dcookie, Android is the way to go! Smiley Wink

(Off-topic once more...sorry... Dcookie, I like your new signature! Smiley Happy)

17 of 19 (117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:45:53 AM
(0)
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Thanks WB! Smiley Happy and YES, I'm thinking android, when the time comes...NO iPhone for me. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Wild Banchi wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Thanks WB! Smiley Happy and YES, I'm thinking android, when the time comes...NO iPhone for me. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

18 of 19 (115 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 3:47:41 PM
(0)
Professor

Brandnewme wrote:

Hi Brandnewme!  glad you got some good answers! hey, anytime you are back on the forum, DCookie has a nice group of folks in  a forum discussion that you could stop by and chat.  maybe discuss some Nokia questions.. I think DC just bragged bout her Nokia!

Brandnewme wrote:

Hi Brandnewme!  glad you got some good answers! hey, anytime you are back on the forum, DCookie has a nice group of folks in  a forum discussion that you could stop by and chat.  maybe discuss some Nokia questions.. I think DC just bragged bout her Nokia!

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

19 of 19 (102 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments