Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 2, 2011
7:09:53 PM
View profile
My new GoPhone
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 2, 2011 at 7:18:05 PM

After doing plenty of homework, I finally rewarded myself with a LG Thrive smartphone. It's very responsive, even though the processor speed is 60% of the Samsung Galaxy Tab. I just activated the phone myself and everything went smoothly.The call quality is quite good.

I live in a city with a flat terrain and I can see a cell tower 1/2 mile out the back of my place. I get solid 5 bars on the 3G radio, even though there are lots of 30-50 ft trees around.

I'm impressed with the steel harness that secures the SIM card. I recall that I had a Motorola phone from Voicestream 10 years ago with a loose SIM (no harness) that had to be taped to prevent calls from dropping.

Thank you all for providing very good information so that I can make a good choice of smartphone with at&t, a great carrier.

After doing plenty of homework, I finally rewarded myself with a LG Thrive smartphone. It's very responsive, even though the processor speed is 60% of the Samsung Galaxy Tab. I just activated the phone myself and everything went smoothly.The call quality is quite good.

I live in a city with a flat terrain and I can see a cell tower 1/2 mile out the back of my place. I get solid 5 bars on the 3G radio, even though there are lots of 30-50 ft trees around.

I'm impressed with the steel harness that secures the SIM card. I recall that I had a Motorola phone from Voicestream 10 years ago with a loose SIM (no harness) that had to be taped to prevent calls from dropping.

Thank you all for providing very good information so that I can make a good choice of smartphone with at&t, a great carrier.

My new GoPhone

[ Edited ]
11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2011 8:31:36 PM
(0)
Guru

Good for you Ilikewireless, I'm pleased you are happy with your purchase and service and that the forums helped you in your decision. We certainly have a good group hereSmiley Wink

Good for you Ilikewireless, I'm pleased you are happy with your purchase and service and that the forums helped you in your decision. We certainly have a good group hereSmiley Wink

Re: My new GoPhone

2 of 12 (535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 7:23:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That is great - glad to hear things are going well for you! Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 8:47:46 AM
(0)
Teacher
Out of curiosity, because I too bought the same phone.
Which plan are you using and do you have the data plan?
Out of curiosity, because I too bought the same phone.
Which plan are you using and do you have the data plan?

4 of 12 (517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 11:12:16 AM
(0)
Professor
I have the 10 cents/min plan. If I need to use data, I will sign up for a data feature plan.
I have the 10 cents/min plan. If I need to use data, I will sign up for a data feature plan.

5 of 12 (510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 7:49:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ilikewireless wrote:
Good choice. Smiley Wink

I'm impressed to hear that you get a good to full 3G signal, even as a GoPhone user. If the service for prepaid is that good, I'm wondering how much better it is for post paid customers! Smiley Very Happy

I just looked at a local listing on craigslist for an LG Phoenix, very similar to the Thrive, for $75. It's a great price for I'm sure a great phone. But I could use the money for other things. It certainly is tempting, though.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

ilikewireless wrote:
Good choice. Smiley Wink

I'm impressed to hear that you get a good to full 3G signal, even as a GoPhone user. If the service for prepaid is that good, I'm wondering how much better it is for post paid customers! Smiley Very Happy

I just looked at a local listing on craigslist for an LG Phoenix, very similar to the Thrive, for $75. It's a great price for I'm sure a great phone. But I could use the money for other things. It certainly is tempting, though.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 12 (495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 10:04:25 PM
(0)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:
Good choice. Smiley Wink

WB, are you a phone collector?Smiley Wink

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:
Good choice. Smiley Wink

WB, are you a phone collector?Smiley Wink

7 of 12 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 10:08:32 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 3, 2011 at 10:30:41 PM

Razr8 wrote:

Awefully good.Smiley HappySmiley Wink

Razr8 wrote:

Awefully good.Smiley HappySmiley Wink

[ Edited ]
8 of 12 (486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 10:23:17 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 3, 2011 at 10:28:18 PM

hme83 wrote:

Smiley HappySo far so good.

It seems like I have to be careful when the phone is in my pocket. Yesterday the phone was in my pocket dialing at&t directory assistance. Today I noticed this: With the phone in Airplane Mode and screen locked, a light pressure on any one of the keys at the front will cause the screen to turn on, yet the screen is still locked. Lo and behold, there's a red + button named Emergency. I touched it and it entered 911. All it would take to complete the call is a touch on the call button! OMG that is hardly a screen lock! I would look into a flip smartphone for the next upgrade :LOL: so that I don't have to be constantly on guard.

hme83 wrote:

Smiley HappySo far so good.

It seems like I have to be careful when the phone is in my pocket. Yesterday the phone was in my pocket dialing at&t directory assistance. Today I noticed this: With the phone in Airplane Mode and screen locked, a light pressure on any one of the keys at the front will cause the screen to turn on, yet the screen is still locked. Lo and behold, there's a red + button named Emergency. I touched it and it entered 911. All it would take to complete the call is a touch on the call button! OMG that is hardly a screen lock! I would look into a flip smartphone for the next upgrade :LOL: so that I don't have to be constantly on guard.

[ Edited ]
9 of 12 (485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2011 7:09:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Not necessarily a "collector", but I certainly do have a passion for cell phones and would not mind having more than one to use. It's good to mix it up every once in a while. Smiley Wink

Not necessarily a "collector", but I certainly do have a passion for cell phones and would not mind having more than one to use. It's good to mix it up every once in a while. Smiley Wink

10 of 12 (468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 8:42:53 PM
(0)
Guru

Wild Banchi wrote:

What is it about cell phones that you are passionate about? Myself, although I am still rocking a dumbphone I still marvel at the thinness of the device, and that Motorola was able to jam what it did in to such a sleek design. 

Wild Banchi wrote:

What is it about cell phones that you are passionate about? Myself, although I am still rocking a dumbphone I still marvel at the thinness of the device, and that Motorola was able to jam what it did in to such a sleek design. 

11 of 12 (363 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 12:52:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Razr8 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

I suppose I like the design of each phone (particularly HTC and Samsung phones) and compare how they are different from others. I like the features they have to offer, and I guess I like to figure out new things. There's just something about cell phones that really interests me and grabs my attention.

Razr8 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

I suppose I like the design of each phone (particularly HTC and Samsung phones) and compare how they are different from others. I like the features they have to offer, and I guess I like to figure out new things. There's just something about cell phones that really interests me and grabs my attention.

12 of 12 (355 Views)