Helpful Links

My new GoPhone

Professor

My new GoPhone

After doing plenty of homework, I finally rewarded myself with a LG Thrive smartphone. It's very responsive, even though the processor speed is 60% of the Samsung Galaxy Tab. I just activated the phone myself and everything went smoothly.The call quality is quite good.

I live in a city with a flat terrain and I can see a cell tower 1/2 mile out the back of my place. I get solid 5 bars on the 3G radio, even though there are lots of 30-50 ft trees around.

I'm impressed with the steel harness that secures the SIM card. I recall that I had a Motorola phone from Voicestream 10 years ago with a loose SIM (no harness) that had to be taped to prevent calls from dropping.

Thank you all for providing very good information so that I can make a good choice of smartphone with at&t, a great carrier.

Message 1 of 12
Guru

Re: My new GoPhone

Good for you Ilikewireless, I'm pleased you are happy with your purchase and service and that the forums helped you in your decision. We certainly have a good group hereSmiley Wink

Message 2 of 12
Master

That is great - glad to hear things are going well for you! Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 3 of 12
Teacher

Out of curiosity, because I too bought the same phone.
Which plan are you using and do you have the data plan?
Message 4 of 12
Professor

I have the 10 cents/min plan. If I need to use data, I will sign up for a data feature plan.
Message 5 of 12
Master

ilikewireless wrote:
I have the 10 cents/min plan. If I need to use data, I will sign up for a data feature plan.
Good choice. Smiley Wink

I'm impressed to hear that you get a good to full 3G signal, even as a GoPhone user. If the service for prepaid is that good, I'm wondering how much better it is for post paid customers! Smiley Very Happy

I just looked at a local listing on craigslist for an LG Phoenix, very similar to the Thrive, for $75. It's a great price for I'm sure a great phone. But I could use the money for other things. It certainly is tempting, though.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 6 of 12
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:
Good choice. Smiley Wink

I'm impressed to hear that you get a good to full 3G signal, even as a GoPhone user. If the service for prepaid is that good, I'm wondering how much better it is for post paid customers! Smiley Very Happy

I just looked at a local listing on craigslist for an LG Phoenix, very similar to the Thrive, for $75. It's a great price for I'm sure a great phone. But I could use the money for other things. It certainly is tempting, though.

WB, are you a phone collector?Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 12
Professor

Razr8 wrote:

Good for you Ilikewireless, I'm pleased you are happy with your purchase and service and that the forums helped you in your decision. We certainly have a good group hereSmiley Wink

Awefully good.Smiley HappySmiley Wink

Message 8 of 12
Professor

hme83 wrote:

That is great - glad to hear things are going well for you! Smiley Happy

Smiley HappySo far so good.

It seems like I have to be careful when the phone is in my pocket. Yesterday the phone was in my pocket dialing at&t directory assistance. Today I noticed this: With the phone in Airplane Mode and screen locked, a light pressure on any one of the keys at the front will cause the screen to turn on, yet the screen is still locked. Lo and behold, there's a red + button named Emergency. I touched it and it entered 911. All it would take to complete the call is a touch on the call button! OMG that is hardly a screen lock! I would look into a flip smartphone for the next upgrade :LOL: so that I don't have to be constantly on guard.

Message 9 of 12
Master

Not necessarily a "collector", but I certainly do have a passion for cell phones and would not mind having more than one to use. It's good to mix it up every once in a while. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Guru

Wild Banchi wrote:
Not necessarily a "collector", but I certainly do have a passion for cell phones and would not mind having more than one to use. It's good to mix it up every once in a while. Smiley Wink

What is it about cell phones that you are passionate about? Myself, although I am still rocking a dumbphone I still marvel at the thinness of the device, and that Motorola was able to jam what it did in to such a sleek design. 

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Master

Razr8 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

What is it about cell phones that you are passionate about? Myself, although I am still rocking a dumbphone I still marvel at the thinness of the device, and that Motorola was able to jam what it did in to such a sleek design. 

I suppose I like the design of each phone (particularly HTC and Samsung phones) and compare how they are different from others. I like the features they have to offer, and I guess I like to figure out new things. There's just something about cell phones that really interests me and grabs my attention.

Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support