Helpful Links

My iphone 4 screen shattered...

Contributor

My iphone 4 screen shattered...

(FYI: I'm posting here because the issue has to do with my upgrade eligibility.)

My daughter got a hold of my iphone 4 this afternoon and dropped it on the tile floor. It shattered, of course. I first called Apple to see if the AppleCare protection plan covered it, which of course it didn't. I was given the option of purchasing a refurb iphone 4 for $149. As I knew that the iphone 4 is being sold now for $99, I called AT&T to check my options. Even though I purchased my iphone 4 when it launched, I'm not eligible for upgrade until February 2012, which is fine, because I don't want to upgrade; I just want to replace my phone for $99. However, I'm not even eligible to do that and must wait until February.

So my options are to either pay $149 for a refurb iphone 4 or retail for a new iphone 4. Alternatively, I can pay $86 to break my contract and switch to Verizon or Sprint because I think this is ridiculous! I'm not expecting any answers here - just want to put my story out there.

Message 1 of 24

Re: My iphone 4 screen shattered...

So you broke your phone and are upset that AT&T isn't allowing you to upgrade to a new Iphone until your upgrade eligible? How is it AT&T's fault that you broke your phone, do you really think are they obligated to allow you upgrade to a new one if it's not your time yet? Do you really want to go through the hassle of breaking your contract and swtiching to a carrier that wouldn't allow you to upgrade to another phone if you broke it also? If thats what you really want to do... to each his own.

Message 2 of 24
Professor

The $99 price is for upgrades or new customers. You're not eligible for an upgrade right now, nor are you a new customer. What's hard to understand about that?
Message 3 of 24
Contributor

Thank you for your responses.

Fair enough, if I'm not eligible for an upgrade, I'm not eligible for an upgrade. I understand, but I don't have to be happy about it Smiley Wink

I guess the point I should have made about switching to Verizon is this: for $185 I can get a new iphone 4 - $35 more than the price of a refurb. Is it worth the trouble? Probably not, but I would hope that AT&T would be more willing to keep my business. Either that, or they should make it a heck of a lot more expensive to break a contract!

Again, I understand why they won't just "give" me a new phone for $99. Unless a miracle happens and I suddenly become eligible for an upgrade, I'll most likely go with the refurb.

Have a great day!

Message 4 of 24
Expert

MamaBearCher wrote:

Thank you for your responses.

Fair enough, if I'm not eligible for an upgrade, I'm not eligible for an upgrade. I understand, but I don't have to be happy about it Smiley Wink

I guess the point I should have made about switching to Verizon is this: for $185 I can get a new iphone 4 - $35 more than the price of a refurb. Is it worth the trouble? Probably not, but I would hope that AT&T would be more willing to keep my business. Either that, or they should make it a heck of a lot more expensive to break a contract!

Again, I understand why they won't just "give" me a new phone for $99. Unless a miracle happens and I suddenly become eligible for an upgrade, I'll most likely go with the refurb.

Have a great day!

Check te genius bar at a apple store, seem to rmemeber they can replace the glass for 99.00

Message 5 of 24
Tutor

My screen shattered too Smiley Sad  My darling 2 year old pushed it off the table by accident.

Anyways - I side with your perspective.  I wish we could just buy a phone at any point without having to pay an insane amount of $$.  All carries have this policy though.  I was with Verizon for 10 years before coming to att (just for the iphone) and what I can say is that Verizons customer service was always better from my perspective although the policy on upgrades were the same.

My biggest grip with ATT upgrades right now is 1. my husband and I are on different upgrade schedules just because his name was listed first on the bill... ummm I pay the bills!  We are one family - one unit.  At Verizon we went together... made more sense!  2. They can't explain to me why he can upgrade 5 whole months earlier than me.  It's so frustrating to me. 

Message 6 of 24
Scholar

twhitney wrote:

My screen shattered too Smiley Sad  My darling 2 year old pushed it off the table by accident.

Anyways - I side with your perspective.  I wish we could just buy a phone at any point without having to pay an insane amount of $$.  All carries have this policy though.  I was with Verizon for 10 years before coming to att (just for the iphone) and what I can say is that Verizons customer service was always better from my perspective although the policy on upgrades were the same.

My biggest grip with ATT upgrades right now is 1. my husband and I are on different upgrade schedules just because his name was listed first on the bill... ummm I pay the bills!  We are one family - one unit.  At Verizon we went together... made more sense!  2. They can't explain to me why he can upgrade 5 whole months earlier than me.  It's so frustrating to me. 

You can buy a new phone at any point. You just have to pay retail for it. You guys need to realize that the retail price of these phones is FAR more than what you are paying. Carriers are giving you a subsidy, in effect allowing you to buy the phone on credit, but either way you end up paying at least the retail price of the phone in the end.

AT&T allows 1 phone on a family plan to essentially upgrade early, and the associated cost of that is that the other line(s) on the account have to wait longer than they otherwise would have to wait to upgrade. It's about recouping the loan that the carrier gave you to buy the phone(s) in the first place.

It could alternatively just let you upgrade all of the phones on the same date (assuming they were all purchased on the same date). That would put the upgrade for both of you later than the one he's currently being offered, but sooner than the one you are currently being offered. Would you prefer that option?

Message 7 of 24
Contributor

You can buy a new phone at any point. You just have to pay retail for it. You guys need to realize that the retail price of these phones is FAR more than what you are paying. Carriers are giving you a subsidy, in effect allowing you to buy the phone on credit, but either way you end up paying at least the retail price of the phone in the end.

AT&T allows 1 phone on a family plan to essentially upgrade early, and the associated cost of that is that the other line(s) on the account have to wait longer than they otherwise would have to wait to upgrade. It's about recouping the loan that the carrier gave you to buy the phone(s) in the first place.

This is actually the most logical explanation I have read and I admit, does make sense. My only question is this: Are those that are paying more per month for their service through add-ons, etc., essentially "paying off" their phones earlier or paying more for their phones? That would justify those customers being able to upgrade at an earlier date. In any case, I think it would serve AT&T well to have a clear and understandable policy regarding who is eligible for upgrades and when. Heck, maybe they do and I just haven't been able to find it.

Message 8 of 24
Scholar

MamaBearCher wrote:

This is actually the most logical explanation I have read and I admit, does make sense. My only question is this: Are those that are paying more per month for their service through add-ons, etc., essentially "paying off" their phones earlier or paying more for their phones? That would justify those customers being able to upgrade at an earlier date. In any case, I think it would serve AT&T well to have a clear and understandable policy regarding who is eligible for upgrades and when. Heck, maybe they do and I just haven't been able to find it.

Upgrade windows are detemined based on the revenue that AT&T (or indeed any carrier) receives from you, based on the choices you make with regard to rate plan, data plan, messaging plan, add-ons, etc. The more revenue that you generate for the carrier, the quicker you get to upgrade (because the carrier recoups the money that it effectively loaned you to buy the phone in the first place.)

They can't release their formulas for determining upgrade. If they did, they'd be giving other carriers ammunition with which to undercut them and steal customers away.

Message 9 of 24
Scholar

twhitney wrote:

Anyways - I side with your perspective.  I wish we could just buy a phone at any point without having to pay an insane amount of $$.

Unless you're only after a cheapie dumb phone or low-end smartphone such as the LG Optimus One family, phones do cost an insane amount of $$. You just don't realize it because carriers are paying majority of the cost.

Message 10 of 24
Tutor

I actually would prefer to upgrade later but at the same time. Verizon does that. Listen I pay the bills and contribute to my family the same... Because my husbands name was first on the plan he goes first? I can't be ok with that.. Five whole mths ealier. Make it two months earlier and let us go at the same time.
Message 11 of 24
Tutor

One more thing. I find it hard to believe the 16 gb phone is 650 retail! I paid less for my iPad with no contract - clear and free of carriers.
Message 12 of 24
Scholar

twhitney wrote:
I actually would prefer to upgrade later but at the same time. Verizon does that. Listen I pay the bills and contribute to my family the same... Because my husbands name was first on the plan he goes first? I can't be ok with that.. Five whole mths ealier. Make it two months earlier and let us go at the same time.

Either phone on your family plan could have upgraded early, but only one of them. The other one that wasn't upgraded would have to wait. Family plans generate less revenue, therefore they take longer to qualify for upgrades.

Message 13 of 24
Scholar

twhitney wrote:
One more thing. I find it hard to believe the 16 gb phone is 650 retail! I paid less for my iPad with no contract - clear and free of carriers.

Well, it is. 16GB is $649, 32GB is $749 and 64GB is $849 at retail. Deal with it, or you can always choose a cheaper phone.

Message 14 of 24
Tutor

You don't have to get nasty! This is called a forum... It's where people come to talk right or wrong it's a place where we can air our thoughts.
Message 15 of 24
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support