My iPhone 4 got stolen, about 1 yr. left on contract

Contributor

My iPhone 4 got stolen, about 1 yr. left on contract

Hi everybody, my iPhone 4 got stolen last week, I've already reported it so the actual device shouldn't work anymore but I haven't canceled my contract yet, which has about 1 year left.

I have an old iPhone 3G/3GS, I'm not exactly sure which model it is with no sim card or service. Can I somehow still honor my contract with an old phone or am I out of luck? What other options do I have?

Message 1 of 6
Professor

Re: My iPhone 4 got stolen, about 1 yr. left on contract

The contract is for voice service only.  As long as you maintain voice service, you are honoring the contract.

Visit an AT&T corporate store and request a new SIM card.  Insert it into the phone of your choosing and utilize the service as  you would with any other device.

Message 2 of 6
Contributor

So you mean all I have to honor is the around $40 I pay for 450 minutes monthly?

If I can get a new sim card, I'll be happy to keep my current text messaging and data plan, but how much can I expect to pay for this new sim card?

Message 3 of 6
Master

An ATT store should just give you a new SIM.  You may be eligable for an early upgrade price.  Not as good as the upgrade price but better than paying full price.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Sounds great if I can get a new SIM for free or cheap, but I believe it costs around $100 to cancel given that I have about a year left on my contract, correct?

I've also been thinking about cancelling my current contract and signing another one, maybe with a different carrier if I cannot get a discounted 2-yr phone price. Maybe waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out and then buying another iPhone 4.

Message 5 of 6
Professor

locoast2coast wrote:

So you mean all I have to honor is the around $40 I pay for 450 minutes monthly?

If I can get a new sim card, I'll be happy to keep my current text messaging and data plan, but how much can I expect to pay for this new sim card?

If you use an old iPhone for the remainder of the contract, you'll still need to pay for a data plan on top of the voice plan.  Although your contract comittment is just for voice, you are still obligated to pay for a data plan if the device requires one.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support