My iPhone 4 can can download at 7.2 Mbps...but where???

Mentor

My iPhone 4 can can download at 7.2 Mbps...but where???

Got a little excited about the iPhone 4s announcement today when they said it can handle HSPA+.  But then I realized 2.5 Mbps is the fastest I've experienced on AT&T's network using my iPhone 4, and that's rare!  Apparently the iPhone 4 can hit download speeds of 7.2 Mbps.  Why haven't I experienced anything over 2.5 Mbps?  Where are AT&T hiding these great speeds?  Needless to say, getting the iPhone 4s for faster speeds is pointless if AT&T won't even let me hit 3 Mbps when I'm out and about.  Anyone else frustrated by this?     

Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: My iPhone 4 can can download at 7.2 Mbps...but where???

Hello,

I understand your frustrations. Unfortunately, your understanding of data speeds are a bit flawed. Heres a brief explanation...

The data speeds that they say the network runs at is not what you will get. That is theoretical speeds. 7.2mbps is megabits not megabytes. The average data transmission rate of 7.2mbps is roughly 2.5 - 3.2mbps.

The iPhone 4S is capable of 14.4mbps, so a technical speed of roughly 5 - 6.4mbps could be obtained.

Even DSL or Cable speeds are off like that. A 10mbps DSL connection will net you a full 1.3megabyte per second download speed, where as the 14.4mbps speed broken down into real world speeds of lets say 6mbps will only net you about a 600 - 700kb/s speed.

Keep in mind, the more people on the network at that given time in the same area as you may result in slower speeds on your end.

Sorry if this doesn't help you, but ask any person who knows about data transmission rates Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

As pointed out, 7.2Mb/s is the theoretical maximum for the current iphone and regardless of what kind of network you are conntected to, 3G, wifi, dsl, cable, even ethernet....no one gets the theoretical maximum speed except under ideal conditions (like in a lab). Also remember, the 7.2Mb/s maximum only covers the connection from your phone to the cell tower. From there your connection will travel over many different routers, switches, circuits, etc until it gets to whatever you are connecting to and your overall connection speed will never be any faster than the slowest segment in that path. If you regularly get 2.5Mb/s on your iphone, you are actually doing pretty good.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Master

Keep in mind too that a lower theoretical speed can also be faster depending upon the protocol.  Look at USB and Firewire 400.

USB = 480Mb/s

Firewire 400 = 400Mb/s

Firewire is is faster than USB because of the way data is transfered back and forth.  Don't allway judge everything based on the theoreical but on what you actually get compared to other protocols.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 9
Mentor

So I got my bits mixed up with my bytes, eh?  Great.  Just when I finally thought I was tech-literate.  Ugh.  Thanks for the great info, everyone.  But if "mbps" can mean bits OR bytes, how is a consumer to know what the heck is going on?  When you order home internet service the packages are presented in bytes, so that is what the average consumer is accustomed to.  I've been using my SpeedTest.Net app for testing and have it set to Mbps (bytes, not bits).  Bits is not an option within the app.

So you're saying I may very well see increased cell tower data speeds in my area if I get an iPhone 4s?

Message 5 of 9
Master

pupp68 wrote:

So I got my bits mixed up with my bytes, eh?  Great.  Just when I finally thought I was tech-literate.  Ugh.  Thanks for the great info, everyone.  But if "mbps" can mean bits OR bytes, how is a consumer to know what the heck is going on?  When you order home internet service the packages are presented in bytes, so that is what the average consumer is accustomed to.  I've been using my SpeedTest.Net app for testing and have it set to Mbps (bytes, not bits).  Bits is not an option within the app.

So you're saying I may very well see increased cell tower data speeds in my area if I get an iPhone 4s?

Assuming your towers are upgraded to 14.4 then yes you will get a higher speed to the tower.  The backhaul from the tower to your site and the trafic on that pipe will dictate what will happen next.

www.gsmworld.com has been a good site for me for info.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 9
Professor

B=byte

b=bit

M=Mega

m=milli

The speedtest.net app measures in megabits per second (Mbps), kilobits per second (kbps) and kilobytes per second (kB/s).  Measuring in megabytes per second is not an option.

Message 7 of 9
Mentor

21stNow wrote:

B=byte

b=bit

M=Mega

m=milli

The speedtest.net app measures in megabits per second (Mbps), kilobits per second (kbps) and kilobytes per second (kB/s).  Measuring in megabytes per second is not an option.

So then I'm back to square one and my original post.  If the Speedtest.net app is a good way to measure data speeds on my iPhone 4, which is capable of 7.2 m(bits)ps, and I can rarely get past 1.5 m(bits)ps on that thing when I'm out and about, that leaves a lot of headroom for improvement. 

I guess my main concern is wasting my money on an iPhone 4s for faster data speeds if it's not possible due to network limitations.  It's a bummer going from 10mbps at home on wi-fi (as per my SpeedTest.net app readings) to 1.5 mbps (same app results) on 3g when I'm out doing errands and such.  I'm trying to have a similar data experience whether I'm at home on wi-fi or out doing stuff on the AT&T network.  If the iPhone 4s with a claim of up to 14.4 mbps will help me acheive that then I'm looking forward to an upgrade.  If not, I'll have to pass this time around.  I don't think I've found my answer yet.

Message 8 of 9
Professor

If you want a similar experience, it may be better for you to wait on LTE to roll out.  The only cell phones that have been blazing fast were the VZW LTE phones that I tried.  AT&T doesn't have LTE here yet for me to test the speeds with the HTC Jetstream tablet, so I don't know how it's going on the AT&T side, but I assume that it will be similar to VZW's performance.

Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support