My conclusion on BB, its future and OS6 - Bold 9700

Tutor

My conclusion on BB, its future and OS6 - Bold 9700

More than anything I think the release of OS6, a slow, buggy and not appropriate for the slow 256MB processor of the 9700 model, symbolizes the slow and buggy future of blackberry who were dominating the business market for years now. I have ran extensive tests on the OS6 and like others I concur that this version is inappropriate for the Bold 9700 as it is slow, incontrollable (can I lock those ever moving menus??) and the overall experience is quite disappointing when compared to the fast and breezy OS5 the device was originally shipped with. This review can be all about what's missing or what needs to be improved but with a company that offers nothing more than the even more buggier Torch (a failure?) and no slim cool like phone coming up (Bold 9780 if at all), then the question remains, where does BB heading? I mean look at what happens when you install few apps on the BB, it drastically slows and what about updated OS? We get one that comes with the device and then cross our fingers for anything new to come if at all, a thing that makes our investment in a device to narrow down to "sold as is" rather than hoping for any technological future with this manufacturer or AT&T.

Disappointed.

Message 1 of 11 (1,389 Views)
Teacher

Re: My conclusion on BB, its future and OS6 - Bold 9700

I appreciate your review.  I've been thinking for several weeks about the upgrade from OS5 to OS6 and haven't been too impressed by the remarks on some of the BB forums.  Think I'll stick with my current system....it works fine!

Message 2 of 11 (1,367 Views)
Scholar

Gonna have to disagree w/ that assessment of OS6 on the Bold 9700.

I was expecting slower performance and I can say w/ completely confidence that performance has increased somewhat and overall functionality is WAY better, so much more in fact that if I had to go back to OS5, I'd toss it in the garbage.  I think the transition between applications and menus might make it seem slower, but almost everything I do on it works better.  The old OS5 (newest version) crashed when connecting to wifi, turning bluetooth on/off or even connecting to my headset.  OS6 has been rock solid.  Menus pop faster.  The old OS5 took longer to begin calling and end calls, it would kinda hang and think about it.  OS 6 does it immediately.  Voice dialing over bluetooth is quicker also.  I just can't think of one thing that seems slower other than a slight additional lag in navigating due to the animation/transition experience in OS6.

Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few annoyances (lag in msgs marking as read, twitter client seems to sometimes hang when trying to load more content as you scroll, available memory is pretty low for apps).  I could probably find more, but those quiclkly come to mind and they aren't really earth shattering imo.

But otherwise this is a stellar improvement on the 9700 compared to OS5.  I can even reboot my device and not have to take a nap while I'm waiting.

Still, all that said, looking fwd to a Bold 9900...hopefully att carries it, if not, bye bye att.

-Chris

Message 3 of 11 (1,350 Views)
Tutor

Chris - thanks for the feedback, I agree that there were some conceptual improvements however I never came across most of those issues you had with V5.0.0.979 I currently have installed, Not a BT crash, no WIFI issues but I agree that it loads drastically slower than OS6. Just like with the way one's computer is configured, the experience is different with every user just like in your case or mine. At the same time I was hoping that BB will be releasing a faster device (processor wise) to support future applications but not the bulky ones like the 9900, more I was hoping for the 9780 for ATT, when you visit the ATT BB section, there is literally nothing left there.

Message 4 of 11 (1,331 Views)
Tutor

I guess today's news further supports my observation that unless a conceptual change comes along, RIM are heading south from here.

Message 5 of 11 (1,269 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Yea, they are really getting slammed by the NA media at this point.  6th largest investor pulling out.  Bloggers all over slamming them left and right.  Stock price in the toilet.  Market share diving.  I hope they are able to pull it out, but they need to focus and stop trying to be what they are not.  If they would simply market what they are good at, and leave iOS and Droid to their own markets, we'd all be better off in the end.

RIM should be marketing enterprise email, messaging, security, data compression/efficiency.  As carriers have moved to capped data plans, you hear nothing about how much MORE data gets consumed by iOS/Droid vs a BB, and it's significantly MORE for the same activity.  That's gonna translate into much higher data bills for those users unless Apple and Google do something about it, but short of routing thru a server, not sure how they'd do that.  RIM has that figured out and while some will argue they don't want all their traffic routed thru BES/BIS, I personally prefer it be that way for a number of reasons.  I'm sure I'm in the minority on that, but it is what it is.

If you haven't used universal search, its way better (I think) than anything iOS or Droid have done in the way of integrated messaging/mailboxes and social media feeds.  Even the BB unified mailbox is ahead of those guys at this point.  WP7 Mango will come close, but still not as good IMO.  All I have to do is pick up my 9700 and start typing a person's name or twitter handle and I get all their emails, sms, tweets, voicemails, everything, right there.

I'm going one more round w/ BB when the 9900 comes out, but after that, they are going to have to get their QNX act together and shake up some stuff or I'm jumping over to a WP7 device.  BB saved me from years of Windows Mobile pain, but I won't continue on this path for much longer.

If they'd just show off what the rest of the world seems to know (just not the US crowd), then maybe they'd make some headway...but they are falling apart at the seams at this point, agreed.

-Chris

Message 6 of 11 (1,203 Views)
Mentor

I concur. My Bold 9700 is sluggish and constantly locks up. Not due for a phone upgrade until Aug 2012 so I am looking into buying out a contract and switching to Verizon. They are offering me a good deal on the Iphone 4.

Message 7 of 11 (1,011 Views)
Professor

byoram02 wrote:

More than anything I think the release of OS6, a slow, buggy and not appropriate for the slow 256MB processor of the 9700 model, symbolizes the slow and buggy future of blackberry who were dominating the business market for years now. I have ran extensive tests on the OS6 and like others I concur that this version is inappropriate for the Bold 9700 as it is slow, incontrollable (can I lock those ever moving menus??) and the overall experience is quite disappointing when compared to the fast and breezy OS5 the device was originally shipped with. This review can be all about what's missing or what needs to be improved but with a company that offers nothing more than the even more buggier Torch (a failure?) and no slim cool like phone coming up (Bold 9780 if at all), then the question remains, where does BB heading? I mean look at what happens when you install few apps on the BB, it drastically slows and what about updated OS? We get one that comes with the device and then cross our fingers for anything new to come if at all, a thing that makes our investment in a device to narrow down to "sold as is" rather than hoping for any technological future with this manufacturer or AT&T.

Disappointed.

I have to disagree with you when including the Torch as an "even more buggier". It's obvious that you have never had the Torch because it has plenty of memory and with the latest OS offered by AT&T, it's even better with faster reaction times to requests. OK, so you don't think that the OS6 for the Bold is working for you. Have you recently upgraded to the latest OS for the Bold? If not, give it a try. If you have and still don't like your Bold, wait a couple of months for the release of the OS7 phones. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised with the memory and speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 8 of 11 (987 Views)
Tutor

Interesting comments. The only reason I am still with BB is because I think it is a good tool for business, the BB has keyboard which for me is a priceless feature however it does not stand the competition when compared to apps and more importantly, being able to load the device with apps without losing performance.

My observation was made way before BB had released a slew of negative news and subsequently their stock went down. I wish for RIM to continue and lead, sadly it seems as if my observation does after all stand on solid grounds.

Message 9 of 11 (978 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Going to add my personal experience when I upgraded to OS6 on my Bold 9700. For those that say it is running slow, the install was not done correctly. I have absolutely no performance issue with the bold 9700 even with 30MB application space left. Here is the problem when upgrading to OS6 on the Bold 9700. You need more ram. The built in web browser causes it to crash due to out of memory if the bold 9700 had at least 512mb I would of given OS6 a 5 stars for what it does now. Much much better than OS5 hands down. The boot times is faster too. Also I am glad OS6 got rid of the stupid media net thing good riddence.

Message 10 of 11 (921 Views)
Tutor

I guss the recent news comign out of RIM are in line with my initial observation. the BB is wonderful solution to those who need a keyboard based device, for everything else the concept of BB is 'dead in the water' as an AT&T employee recemtnly told me. as mentioned before, RIM needs to re-live the days of corporate tools and stay clear from the Android/iPhone market as this is not what theya are strong at. corportae oriented devices are a niche that currently no one caters to, anywhere from the device size/weight and all the way to the speedy opeation of the apps that should all be geard towards the corp user. 

Message 11 of 11 (639 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.