Wireless Forums

Posted Mar 3, 2011
4:12:43 AM
View profile
My Samsung Focus USB/charge port & cable melted!
Edited by melted_focus on Mar 3, 2011 at 4:15:28 AM

Earlier this week, my less than 90 day old Samsung Focus suffered an apparently self-induced meltdown (pics below).

The problem started when the phone started repeatedly making the sound that you make when you plug it in to charge or sync it. The phone was not plugged in at the time.

First I unlocked the phone and found that it seemed to be fully functional, but the repeated tone continued - almost as if there was some type of internal short which caused the phone to think it was being plugging and unplugged over and over. I rebooted the phone, thinking that might resolve the issue. After a few seconds up returning to the lock screen, the repeating tone started again.

I unlocked the phone again and noticed that the battery indicator icon was sort of flickering each time the tone sounded. Hmmm, maybe plugging the phone into the Samsung wall charger will help. Plugging the phone in did stop the repeating tones, but after ~30 seconds I smelled a strong smell that smelled like burning electronics.

I picked up the phone, realized that was where the smell was coming from, and quickly unplugged it. After doing so, I noticed that the USB/charge port in the phone was melted, as was the male end of the Samsung USB cable.

I took the phone to my local AT&T corporate store - they had not seen or were aware of a related issue. Since I've had the phone more than 30 days, I was not eligible for an in-store exchange.

The AT&T rep that I was working with gave me paperwork for the AT&T Device Service Center (DSC) in town, and told me that they'd likely be able to take care of my phone under warranty.

I went to the AT&T DSC and relayed the above story to them. After speaking with a technician, supervisor, and manager I was told that they had no record or service bulletins related to the issue. As a result, they could not warranty my phone. The manager told me that my phone fell into the "damaged phone" category, which is not covered by the warranty.

I argued that the damage which occurred to the phone was not due to my negligence (i.e., dropped it in a toilet, ran over it with my truck, etc) , but because I simply plugged it in. To no avail - my Focus was a "damaged phone which was not eligible for warrantly repair or replacement".

The manager said that I had two options - contact the AT&T warranty department who could "assist" me with a replacement phone, but would charge my account the full, no-contract price or submit an insurance claim with AT&T, pay the deductible, and get a "like-new" replacement phone.

I am currently awaiting a phone call from a supervisor with the AT&T warranty department, who is to contact me within 24-48 hours.

This sucks... :smileysad:

Earlier this week, my less than 90 day old Samsung Focus suffered an apparently self-induced meltdown (pics below).

The problem started when the phone started repeatedly making the sound that you make when you plug it in to charge or sync it. The phone was not plugged in at the time.

First I unlocked the phone and found that it seemed to be fully functional, but the repeated tone continued - almost as if there was some type of internal short which caused the phone to think it was being plugging and unplugged over and over. I rebooted the phone, thinking that might resolve the issue. After a few seconds up returning to the lock screen, the repeating tone started again.

I unlocked the phone again and noticed that the battery indicator icon was sort of flickering each time the tone sounded. Hmmm, maybe plugging the phone into the Samsung wall charger will help. Plugging the phone in did stop the repeating tones, but after ~30 seconds I smelled a strong smell that smelled like burning electronics.

I picked up the phone, realized that was where the smell was coming from, and quickly unplugged it. After doing so, I noticed that the USB/charge port in the phone was melted, as was the male end of the Samsung USB cable.

I took the phone to my local AT&T corporate store - they had not seen or were aware of a related issue. Since I've had the phone more than 30 days, I was not eligible for an in-store exchange.

The AT&T rep that I was working with gave me paperwork for the AT&T Device Service Center (DSC) in town, and told me that they'd likely be able to take care of my phone under warranty.

I went to the AT&T DSC and relayed the above story to them. After speaking with a technician, supervisor, and manager I was told that they had no record or service bulletins related to the issue. As a result, they could not warranty my phone. The manager told me that my phone fell into the "damaged phone" category, which is not covered by the warranty.

I argued that the damage which occurred to the phone was not due to my negligence (i.e., dropped it in a toilet, ran over it with my truck, etc) , but because I simply plugged it in. To no avail - my Focus was a "damaged phone which was not eligible for warrantly repair or replacement".

The manager said that I had two options - contact the AT&T warranty department who could "assist" me with a replacement phone, but would charge my account the full, no-contract price or submit an insurance claim with AT&T, pay the deductible, and get a "like-new" replacement phone.

I am currently awaiting a phone call from a supervisor with the AT&T warranty department, who is to contact me within 24-48 hours.

This sucks... :smileysad:

My Samsung Focus USB/charge port & cable melted!

[ Edited ]
16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 5:12:58 AM
(0)
Professor

Great first post by the way.  Sorry it had to come like this.

You need to insist upon a new phone replacement under warranty.  They will replace it eventually, but it will have to come at a supervisor level.  There is no level 1 person on the phone or in a store who is going to make the swap, because burnt phones are not on their script.  Politely insist on speaking to the manager and having him or her contact a supervisor for warranty services.  They will replace it, but it will take persistence on your part.  And do not accept 'like new.'  Only take a new, non refurbished unit.

Keep us posted.

Great first post by the way.  Sorry it had to come like this.

You need to insist upon a new phone replacement under warranty.  They will replace it eventually, but it will have to come at a supervisor level.  There is no level 1 person on the phone or in a store who is going to make the swap, because burnt phones are not on their script.  Politely insist on speaking to the manager and having him or her contact a supervisor for warranty services.  They will replace it, but it will take persistence on your part.  And do not accept 'like new.'  Only take a new, non refurbished unit.

Keep us posted.

Re: My Samsung Focus USB/charge port & cable melted!

2 of 17 (10,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 6:16:01 AM
(0)
Professor

I would threaten them with small claims court.  From the sound of what you said, they would lose.  And even if they didn't lose, it would be inconvienient to fight it.  They may just take the easy way out and do the warranty replacement.  If not, go ahead with the small claims court and get a new phone that way (although you would have to wait).  Just because they haven't gotten a service bulletin on a new model of phone does not mean that 1) there is not an issue with the phone that is just now being discovered or 2) this was not just an uncommon manufacturing problem. 

I would threaten them with small claims court.  From the sound of what you said, they would lose.  And even if they didn't lose, it would be inconvienient to fight it.  They may just take the easy way out and do the warranty replacement.  If not, go ahead with the small claims court and get a new phone that way (although you would have to wait).  Just because they haven't gotten a service bulletin on a new model of phone does not mean that 1) there is not an issue with the phone that is just now being discovered or 2) this was not just an uncommon manufacturing problem. 

3 of 17 (10,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 6:26:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

…and, here is an interesting response from a user who replied to one of my posts on another forum, and experienced the same problem as I had right before the meltdown of my phone occurred:

After 2 months with no issues with my AT&T Focus, I have the following problem that AT&T Technical Support told me:

. Known issue with WP7 that AT&T TS was just briefed on.
. Many users reported it to AT&T
. MS is aware of it.
. MS states it is caused by a "virus".
. MS indicated the fix will be in the early March update along with other fixes.
. AT&T is NOT holding up the update.

Symptoms:

. While plugged into a PC or charger, no issues.
. When not plugged in, battery icon "blinks", sometimes with a "plug" across the icon (indicating charging), sometimes not.
. Does this about once every 2 seconds.
. "Beeps" everytime it "blinks"
. Screen will not turn off per settings (state change of icon appears to stop this)

…and, here is an interesting response from a user who replied to one of my posts on another forum, and experienced the same problem as I had right before the meltdown of my phone occurred:

After 2 months with no issues with my AT&T Focus, I have the following problem that AT&T Technical Support told me:

. Known issue with WP7 that AT&T TS was just briefed on.
. Many users reported it to AT&T
. MS is aware of it.
. MS states it is caused by a "virus".
. MS indicated the fix will be in the early March update along with other fixes.
. AT&T is NOT holding up the update.

Symptoms:

. While plugged into a PC or charger, no issues.
. When not plugged in, battery icon "blinks", sometimes with a "plug" across the icon (indicating charging), sometimes not.
. Does this about once every 2 seconds.
. "Beeps" everytime it "blinks"
. Screen will not turn off per settings (state change of icon appears to stop this)

4 of 17 (10,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 7:52:49 AM
(0)
Scholar

Dealing with AT&T for years  (I have 5 wireless lines) I know you will get satisfaction, you may need to contact the Resolution Department but I know you will get a replacement... Be polite but firm in your demand of a replacement, obviously a defective phone and a rarity with the Focus, it comprises a quarter of the Windows Phones being sold and counting... I love my Focus and that's coming from a ex-iPhone user and never looking back :smileyhappy: 

Dealing with AT&T for years  (I have 5 wireless lines) I know you will get satisfaction, you may need to contact the Resolution Department but I know you will get a replacement... Be polite but firm in your demand of a replacement, obviously a defective phone and a rarity with the Focus, it comprises a quarter of the Windows Phones being sold and counting... I love my Focus and that's coming from a ex-iPhone user and never looking back :smileyhappy: 

5 of 17 (10,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 6:16:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah, that sure is weird... It must have gotten overheated somehow. And with such a nice phone as that, it's almost unbelievable. The phone is virtually unchargeable, so it's best to conserve the battery amount that you have left.

Others have stated great information for advice on what you should do. Don't worry too much about it; the phone should get replaced somehow, either by AT&T or Samsung. This is definitely a defect that can be hazardous.

As Paolo01 said above, make sure to keep us posted.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Yeah, that sure is weird... It must have gotten overheated somehow. And with such a nice phone as that, it's almost unbelievable. The phone is virtually unchargeable, so it's best to conserve the battery amount that you have left.

Others have stated great information for advice on what you should do. Don't worry too much about it; the phone should get replaced somehow, either by AT&T or Samsung. This is definitely a defect that can be hazardous.

As Paolo01 said above, make sure to keep us posted.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 17 (9,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 7:35:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the exact same problem described (except for the meltdown -yet). I took the phone to an AT&T store, they looked at it, said they had never seen this before, told me they could not replace the phone because I had it for more than 30 days and gave me the phone number to call for warranty service. I called the number, described the problem, and they had me try a few things and told me it was a battery issue and they would send me a new battery within 5 days. Doubting that is was the battery, I went back to the AT&T store, told them what happened and asked them to try a new battery. They put in a new battery and the problem happened again. They then called warranty service, asked for level 2 support and described the situation. The level 2 person said that the only thing they would do for now is send the battery and that the battery replacement had fixed the problem in other instances. Waiting for a battery now.

I have the exact same problem described (except for the meltdown -yet). I took the phone to an AT&T store, they looked at it, said they had never seen this before, told me they could not replace the phone because I had it for more than 30 days and gave me the phone number to call for warranty service. I called the number, described the problem, and they had me try a few things and told me it was a battery issue and they would send me a new battery within 5 days. Doubting that is was the battery, I went back to the AT&T store, told them what happened and asked them to try a new battery. They put in a new battery and the problem happened again. They then called warranty service, asked for level 2 support and described the situation. The level 2 person said that the only thing they would do for now is send the battery and that the battery replacement had fixed the problem in other instances. Waiting for a battery now.

7 of 17 (9,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 12:03:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

Power Surge. There is no way a capacitor that limits to 700mhz can do that.

Power Surge. There is no way a capacitor that limits to 700mhz can do that.

8 of 17 (9,675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 3:20:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

Or the charging port somehow had moisture in it when it plugged in. About the only other thing that could short that out. I've seen a few.

Or the charging port somehow had moisture in it when it plugged in. About the only other thing that could short that out. I've seen a few.

9 of 17 (9,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 4:58:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hey Melted_Focus, 

I'm sorry you experienced these hardware issues with your Focus. I just wanted to let you know that Samsung takes these types of issues very seriously and will be looking into the issue. If you ever need help or have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us via @samsungservice on Twitter or on Facebook. You can also call us at 888-495-3386.

Sincerely,
@SamsungCarla

Hey Melted_Focus, 

I'm sorry you experienced these hardware issues with your Focus. I just wanted to let you know that Samsung takes these types of issues very seriously and will be looking into the issue. If you ever need help or have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us via @samsungservice on Twitter or on Facebook. You can also call us at 888-495-3386.

Sincerely,
@SamsungCarla

10 of 17 (9,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 12:07:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had the same issue. AT&T replaced my phone under Warranty Service.

I had the same issue. AT&T replaced my phone under Warranty Service.

11 of 17 (6,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 9:29:20 PM
(0)
Professor

These constant beeping charging sounds, started happening to me today. Been experiencing them for the past couple of hours, they come and go. Pulled the battery out, and tried to reboot and still going on. My battery was nearly half charged, and when the beeping started it showed empty. Then after a reboot, it was half charged again, and 5 minutes later, the beeping started. Apparently, from users posting, it is an issue with this specific phone. I wonder what AT&T/Samsung are going to do about it.

These constant beeping charging sounds, started happening to me today. Been experiencing them for the past couple of hours, they come and go. Pulled the battery out, and tried to reboot and still going on. My battery was nearly half charged, and when the beeping started it showed empty. Then after a reboot, it was half charged again, and 5 minutes later, the beeping started. Apparently, from users posting, it is an issue with this specific phone. I wonder what AT&T/Samsung are going to do about it.

12 of 17 (5,916 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2011 8:34:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been having the same issue with my Focus!!! And now that I know what is going to happen!! AT&T will be replacing my phone I don't pay all this money just to get screwed. I use my phone for work therefore I need it!!!! They will be getting a call from me tomorrow that you for posting this now I know what to expect 

I have been having the same issue with my Focus!!! And now that I know what is going to happen!! AT&T will be replacing my phone I don't pay all this money just to get screwed. I use my phone for work therefore I need it!!!! They will be getting a call from me tomorrow that you for posting this now I know what to expect 

13 of 17 (5,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2011 12:14:14 PM
(0)
Contributor
This has to be a defect with the samsung focus. The meltdown may be the extreme end result but constant chiming while not plugged in seems to be the start. Other users including myself have posted this issue without any suggested fixes. http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Samsung-Focus-ALert-03-rings-constantly-unless-Micro-USB-c...
This has to be a defect with the samsung focus. The meltdown may be the extreme end result but constant chiming while not plugged in seems to be the start. Other users including myself have posted this issue without any suggested fixes. http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Samsung-Focus-ALert-03-rings-constantly-unless-Micro-USB-cord/m-p/2778251

14 of 17 (5,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2011 9:04:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I hate this feeling as well. I got the repeated chime like a month ago and it went away dont remember what i did besides the reset of the phone and taking in out the battery. The repeated chime has started once again yesterday and i figuered it'll go away again had still nothing, I put my phone on silent just so i wouldnt hear the chime it got my phone back up but still had the annoying chime, i tried my friends cord and same thing, so now this has gone to far and i got this phone back in january so i know at&t is gonna say its over the 30day warrenty and arent gonna replace.

I hate this feeling as well. I got the repeated chime like a month ago and it went away dont remember what i did besides the reset of the phone and taking in out the battery. The repeated chime has started once again yesterday and i figuered it'll go away again had still nothing, I put my phone on silent just so i wouldnt hear the chime it got my phone back up but still had the annoying chime, i tried my friends cord and same thing, so now this has gone to far and i got this phone back in january so i know at&t is gonna say its over the 30day warrenty and arent gonna replace.

15 of 17 (5,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2011 10:35:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have the same issue with my phone continuous beeping (minus the USB meltdown). I purchased my Samsung Focus in November 2010. I did a hard reset and it had all the latest upgrade applied. I hope AT&T Warranty and Samsung acknowledges this issue and takes care of my phone under warranty - otherwise I will post back.
I have the same issue with my phone continuous beeping (minus the USB meltdown). I purchased my Samsung Focus in November 2010. I did a hard reset and it had all the latest upgrade applied. I hope AT&T Warranty and Samsung acknowledges this issue and takes care of my phone under warranty - otherwise I will post back.

16 of 17 (5,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 2:21:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well I posted previously on this board and here I am again.  Here's my history with the samsung focus to date

- Originally purchased in March 2011

- Focus #1 - Owned for a month or so and the focus started chiming and wouldn't stop.  It's the same noise that is made when you first plug the focus in but continues repeatedly.  Took to an ATT warranty center and they replaced the phone.

- Focus #2 - Owned this one for about 2 months and then my computer stopped recognizing that it was plugged into the USB port.  The phone would charge but the computer wouldn't recognize it (neither windows nor zune would see the phone).  I tried this on multiple windows 7 machines, all the same result.  Took the phone back to the same ATT warranty center and they replaced the phone.

- Focus #3 - Owned this phone for about 5 days now (it's a v 1.3 focus) and ran the WP 7.5 (Mango) update on the phone yesterday.  Everything looked good until about 3 hours post update the phone started chiming and wouldn't stop.  Looks like I'll be going for my 4th phone tomorrow.

Well I posted previously on this board and here I am again.  Here's my history with the samsung focus to date

- Originally purchased in March 2011

- Focus #1 - Owned for a month or so and the focus started chiming and wouldn't stop.  It's the same noise that is made when you first plug the focus in but continues repeatedly.  Took to an ATT warranty center and they replaced the phone.

- Focus #2 - Owned this one for about 2 months and then my computer stopped recognizing that it was plugged into the USB port.  The phone would charge but the computer wouldn't recognize it (neither windows nor zune would see the phone).  I tried this on multiple windows 7 machines, all the same result.  Took the phone back to the same ATT warranty center and they replaced the phone.

- Focus #3 - Owned this phone for about 5 days now (it's a v 1.3 focus) and ran the WP 7.5 (Mango) update on the phone yesterday.  Everything looked good until about 3 hours post update the phone started chiming and wouldn't stop.  Looks like I'll be going for my 4th phone tomorrow.

17 of 17 (5,235 Views)