Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 24, 2008
7:05:28 PM
View profile
My MAC and the USB 881 are not on speaking terms
Each time I turn on the laptop I have to go into my applications to download the sierra watcher in order to access the internet. The icon stays on the desktop but cannot find the connection until I have downloaded it again. This is quite frustrating and time consuming since I have to restart the computer after downloading the sierra watcher. Another, yet new, issue is that I can only access the web while "roaming". It was on the 3G network but not any more. Does this sound familiar to any one? Any suggestions?
Each time I turn on the laptop I have to go into my applications to download the sierra watcher in order to access the internet. The icon stays on the desktop but cannot find the connection until I have downloaded it again. This is quite frustrating and time consuming since I have to restart the computer after downloading the sierra watcher. Another, yet new, issue is that I can only access the web while "roaming". It was on the 3G network but not any more. Does this sound familiar to any one? Any suggestions?

My MAC and the USB 881 are not on speaking terms

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2008 8:27:27 AM
(0)
Mentor
Are you familiar with installing applications in Mac OS?

Not to be dismissive, but it sounds like you are running the software as opposed to installing it - drag the software to your Applications folder.

Regarding 3G access - check the coverage maps, or take your laptop on a trip. Maybe you are on the border between two towers - one 3G and the other not.

coreyinoz
Are you familiar with installing applications in Mac OS?

Not to be dismissive, but it sounds like you are running the software as opposed to installing it - drag the software to your Applications folder.

Regarding 3G access - check the coverage maps, or take your laptop on a trip. Maybe you are on the border between two towers - one 3G and the other not.

coreyinoz

Re: My MAC and the USB 881 are not on speaking terms

2 of 7 (3,852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2008 10:37:25 AM
(0)
Contributor
Yes, as I had mentioned, I need to open the applications folder to install the sierra watcher software. Once it is installed and the computer restarts, I click the icon to access the internet. Next day, the icon is still there and when it is clicked it keeps "searching" until I give-up and start the download process all over.

I do believe that it is installed because only the first time that it was installed on the hard drive did it take any space. Now that it has already been installed on the hard drive it states that the software will take zero space on the hard dive.
Yes, as I had mentioned, I need to open the applications folder to install the sierra watcher software. Once it is installed and the computer restarts, I click the icon to access the internet. Next day, the icon is still there and when it is clicked it keeps "searching" until I give-up and start the download process all over.

I do believe that it is installed because only the first time that it was installed on the hard drive did it take any space. Now that it has already been installed on the hard drive it states that the software will take zero space on the hard dive.

3 of 7 (3,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2008 12:13:13 PM
(0)
Professor

Jthenurse1 wrote:

what kind of mac? what os? how is the 881 connected - direct to the USB port on the mac, or through a hub?

Jthenurse1 wrote:

what kind of mac? what os? how is the 881 connected - direct to the USB port on the mac, or through a hub?

4 of 7 (3,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2008 5:59:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
So, I called the ATT tech support and they told me that the mac OSX leopard and the USB Connect 881 are not compatible. That I need to call the mac support line because the att support line can be of no further assistance. Oh yeah, even though the att store told me that they were compatible, well they will still need to charge me a cancelation fee when it is returned. Thank you for all your help att.
So, I called the ATT tech support and they told me that the mac OSX leopard and the USB Connect 881 are not compatible. That I need to call the mac support line because the att support line can be of no further assistance. Oh yeah, even though the att store told me that they were compatible, well they will still need to charge me a cancelation fee when it is returned. Thank you for all your help att.

5 of 7 (3,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2008 8:28:00 AM
(0)
Mentor
Jthenurse1,

That's not true. Sierra provides Watcher with support for Leopard. See FAQ (with link to latest Watcher)

coreyinoz
Jthenurse1,

That's not true. Sierra provides Watcher with support for Leopard. See FAQ (with link to latest Watcher)

coreyinoz

6 of 7 (3,787 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2008 11:01:38 AM
(0)
Professor

Jthenurse1 wrote:

be careful not to confuse their use of "supported" with "compatible". while at&t will not support mac & the 881U - as in, they can't help you with setup or troubleshooting - the two are most certainly compatible and will work.

Jthenurse1 wrote:

be careful not to confuse their use of "supported" with "compatible". while at&t will not support mac & the 881U - as in, they can't help you with setup or troubleshooting - the two are most certainly compatible and will work.

7 of 7 (3,785 Views)