My Iphone 4 Getting Hot

My Iphone 4 Getting Hot

Does anyone know of it is normal for the phone to get hot when using GPS or talking? I use the Navigon gps app and i noticed when i pull it out of the car docking station the phone is hot to the touch on the back and sides,  i also notice while talking on the phone if i am holding it the sides get hot however if i am not holding it and talk on the phone using bluetooth then it doesn't get hot.  this is a two part question if any can advise that would be great because if it is not normal i am still within my 90day warranty and i could take it back to apple or att and get it replaced.

Message 1 of 7 (5,309 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: My Iphone 4 Getting Hot

Sure. If you're using it, and charging it, it will get hot.

I use GPS Nav while plugged in - on trips of an hour plus, it gets warm.

In a car with the AC running it should be OK, unless its baking on the dashboard in the sun. It might get a little overheated then. Mine was fine in Maryland in 99 degree heat... inside an air conditioned car.

I also use GPS tracking software (runtastic - great app!) to track and log my walks. With that app running, GPS is on, but since I turn off the screen and it's in my pocket, it's not charging. It's only slightly warmer then my pocket when used this way. Worked fine in that same nasty heat (well, ok, maybe high 80s in the morning when I dared to walk outside) without overheating.

Recap:

1) charging will make it warm

2) running something that uses a LOT of CPU all the time, like GPS Navigation in a car, will make it warm

3) talking for 20+ minutes, or using wifi or 3g full out for 20+ minutes, will make it warm

4) having it sit in the sun for 10+ minutes will make it warm in the summer Smiley Very Happy

combine any of those for extra toastiness. It could feel pretty warm long before its in danger of overheating.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (5,294 Views)

johninsj wrote:

Sure. If you're using it, and charging it, it will get hot.

I use GPS Nav while plugged in - on trips of an hour plus, it gets warm.

In a car with the AC running it should be OK, unless its baking on the dashboard in the sun. It might get a little overheated then. Mine was fine in Maryland in 99 degree heat... inside an air conditioned car.

I also use GPS tracking software (runtastic - great app!) to track and log my walks. With that app running, GPS is on, but since I turn off the screen and it's in my pocket, it's not charging. It's only slightly warmer then my pocket when used this way. Worked fine in that same nasty heat (well, ok, maybe high 80s in the morning when I dared to walk outside) without overheating.

Recap:

1) charging will make it warm

2) running something that uses a LOT of CPU all the time, like GPS Navigation in a car, will make it warm

3) talking for 20+ minutes, or using wifi or 3g full out for 20+ minutes, will make it warm

4) having it sit in the sun for 10+ minutes will make it warm in the summer Smiley Very Happy

combine any of those for extra toastiness. It could feel pretty warm long before its in danger of overheating.

thanks for the info so it seems this is normal and not something of a defect. I love using the navigon app in my car i took out my normal garmin unit and gave to my wife and i use this now. i wil try that app you use for walking since i walk and run with the dog alot.. i do have ac running in the car here in tx we have been over 103 degrees everyday for a couple of weeks now  let me ask you why don't they build these with a little vent exit to allow the heat to escape on these phones i think a little hole or something wouldn't take away from design

Message 3 of 7 (5,281 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

phonejunkie30 wrote:
why don't they build these with a little vent exit to allow the heat to escape on these phones i think a little hole or something wouldn't take away from design

The glass *is* the heatsink. Heat is transferred to the glass and then dissipates. Ever notice how hot the LCD screen is on your HDTV? The glass is used to dissipate heat there too. An air hole would be pretty useless, since air doesn't conduct heat very well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7 (5,257 Views)
Mentor

completely normal, my iMac gets hot, my iPhone 4 if it is on the charger gets hot. Nothing to worry about Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7 (5,246 Views)
Professor

The iPhone gets hot when it is in active use or has active memory. When you have loads of features running, your 3G, 3GS, and i4 will generate heat due to many hardware parts running at the same time:

• OpenGL processor and 3G/Edge/WiFi connectivity
  • GPS in 3D Navigation Mode and 3G/Edge/WiFi connectivity
  • 3D Internet MMORPG
  • etc
Note that if you are running GPS in your vehicle and the outdoor temperature is 100F or near attached to your windshield, it can shut off your iPhone. You can run your AC onto the windshield and it can keep the iPhone from shutting off.

Message 6 of 7 (5,217 Views)

Yeah mine is not attached to the window I have the dash mount in my truck the glass deal does make sense. Appreciate the answers everyone
Message 7 of 7 (5,189 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.