Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 4, 2011
7:26:06 PM
My Impression is possessed

I bought the Impression in April 2010. 

Starting yesterday, the thing has gone crazy.  First it started not locking and nothing I did would lock it.  Then it started to shut itself down but got stuck on the "goodbye" screen for about three hours.  Then it shut down.  When I take the battery out for a system reset, it works for about two minutes. Then things stop working - first the touchscreen, then the keypad, or the end call button.  It won't retrieve a photo in a text that I've been trying to get all day.  

What do I do besides throw it against a wall in sheer frustration?

I bought the Impression in April 2010. 

Starting yesterday, the thing has gone crazy.  First it started not locking and nothing I did would lock it.  Then it started to shut itself down but got stuck on the "goodbye" screen for about three hours.  Then it shut down.  When I take the battery out for a system reset, it works for about two minutes. Then things stop working - first the touchscreen, then the keypad, or the end call button.  It won't retrieve a photo in a text that I've been trying to get all day.  

What do I do besides throw it against a wall in sheer frustration?

My Impression is possessed

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2011 9:59:21 PM
(0)
Master
It's kind of creepy that the phone just so happened to get "stuck" on the "Goodbye" screen right before it was about to turn off. It's almost as if the phone was trying to tell you that it's not going to work anymore and it's time for a "goodbye"? Maybe I'm just using my imagination too much... Your Impression sounds very problematic and very unreliable to use. You don't think you got it wet somehow, do you? Check the sticker indicator on the back of the phone near the battery. I think if the color is pink, the phone has suffered water/humidity damage. If not, you can probably get it replaced under warranty.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

It's kind of creepy that the phone just so happened to get "stuck" on the "Goodbye" screen right before it was about to turn off. It's almost as if the phone was trying to tell you that it's not going to work anymore and it's time for a "goodbye"? Maybe I'm just using my imagination too much... Your Impression sounds very problematic and very unreliable to use. You don't think you got it wet somehow, do you? Check the sticker indicator on the back of the phone near the battery. I think if the color is pink, the phone has suffered water/humidity damage. If not, you can probably get it replaced under warranty.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

Re: My Impression is possessed

2 of 5 (119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2011 6:30:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just removed the back and there's a little white square - is that the indicator you're talking about?  There's nothing pink on my phone. While I was back there, I took the battery out once again (it was stuck on the goodbye screen again). When I put it back together, it opened up to my main screen and then went back to the goodbye screen, where it now sits.  I have it plugged in to the charger to see how long it'll stay on that screen.   

I just removed the back and there's a little white square - is that the indicator you're talking about?  There's nothing pink on my phone. While I was back there, I took the battery out once again (it was stuck on the goodbye screen again). When I put it back together, it opened up to my main screen and then went back to the goodbye screen, where it now sits.  I have it plugged in to the charger to see how long it'll stay on that screen.   

3 of 5 (112 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2011 6:32:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

And the phone is over a year old (14 months) so it won't be covered under warranty.

And the phone is over a year old (14 months) so it won't be covered under warranty.

4 of 5 (111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2011 7:33:30 AM
(0)
Master
Yes, the water indicator being white means that you did not get the phone wet/it has humidity damage from water vapor in the air. And I'm sorry - you're right about the warranty, so the phone cannot be replaced via warranty...

The Impression is known to have problems like these and that's why I do not recommend it to anybody. It's not your fault that the phone is not working, unless you tend to drop it a lot, which I'm sure is not the case.

The only advice I can think of is to bring it in to an AT&T corporate store and see what can be done for you. They may tell you that you are out of luck with the phone because the warranty has expired, but it's worth a shot. If they cannot offer you anything to fix or replace the phone, you may have to purchase another Impression/another model phone at your own expense, as terrible as that sounds.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Yes, the water indicator being white means that you did not get the phone wet/it has humidity damage from water vapor in the air. And I'm sorry - you're right about the warranty, so the phone cannot be replaced via warranty...

The Impression is known to have problems like these and that's why I do not recommend it to anybody. It's not your fault that the phone is not working, unless you tend to drop it a lot, which I'm sure is not the case.

The only advice I can think of is to bring it in to an AT&T corporate store and see what can be done for you. They may tell you that you are out of luck with the phone because the warranty has expired, but it's worth a shot. If they cannot offer you anything to fix or replace the phone, you may have to purchase another Impression/another model phone at your own expense, as terrible as that sounds.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

5 of 5 (107 Views)