My Gophone

Teacher

My Gophone

[ Edited ]

Hey I just got a Gophone and I dont wanna get a huge bill by accidently using data so I wanna disable it. Does anyone know how I can do that?

Message 1 of 28 (1,067 Views)
Master

Re: My Gophone

Call ATT and they should be able to disable data.  Note that it will imapct MMS messages too.  What model phone do you have, there may be ways in the settings to disable data and/or ask you if you want to connect before actually connecting?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 28 (1,043 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

seth93 wrote:

Hey I just got a Gophone and I dont wanna get a huge bill by accidently using data so I wanna disable it. Does anyone know how I can do that?

Yeah the previous poster is right. You can have at&t do it.

There's not many phones that allow you to disable data yourself. As far as I know, you can do it yourself with some phones, like Samsung Eternity II.

Message 3 of 28 (1,032 Views)
Master

Android phones and iPhones also have the option to disable the mobile data network, but I'm not sure if it would block all sorts of data completely.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 28 (1,028 Views)
Teacher

It's A LG  Neon.

Message 5 of 28 (1,016 Views)
Teacher

I tried calling customer support, but it's automated and there's only a couple options.

Message 6 of 28 (1,014 Views)
Master

You can reach customer service by dialing 611. It's possible. Dial the number, say, "Main Menu", "more options", and then repeat "customer service" a few times. The system will get confused and transfer you to a live chat support rep.

It may be a little frustrating, but it's possible. To make it somewhat simpler, you can also call CS at 1-800-331-0500.

Message 7 of 28 (1,009 Views)
Teacher

Ok I'll try that.

Message 8 of 28 (1,003 Views)
Master

All right. I just tried about half an hour ago - it should work fine.

Message 9 of 28 (999 Views)
Teacher

I tried that, It worked fine except I was told that there is no way to disable data usage on my phone and the only way to avoid being charged for it is to not touch the browser button/send/recieve picture texts/use IM.

Message 10 of 28 (986 Views)

seth93 wrote:

I tried that, It worked fine except I was told that there is no way to disable data usage on my phone and the only way to avoid being charged for it is to not touch the browser button/send/recieve picture texts/use IM.

There may be a techie way to disable data use by clearing the APN carrier settings.  But I am sure they do not want to bother, seth93.

Maybe the best alternative you have left is to enroll in the $5-month data feature plan, which provides coverage for 10MByte-month cellular data acccess, and will cap your use nicely protecting you against pay-per-use fees at 1cent each 5KByte block, which can add quite quickly, even if accidental use (you could easily see 20 cents surcharges every time you hit the MediaNet button without the data feature plan).

I know it is not what you want, but unless you can disable the APN carrier settings on your GoPhone, which will invalidate most of your accidental data hits, this might be the best protection you have left to cap your monthly data use -- accidental or not.

Message 11 of 28 (956 Views)
Master

There has to be a way for customer service to block data on your phone line. My guess is that, yes, they probably didn't even want to bother with it. I'm almost certain AT&T will do this for you, even free of charge.

If you don't mind, I would give CS another ring and kindly ask again. Maybe this time they will be more willing...

Message 12 of 28 (947 Views)
Teacher

I'll try that.

Message 13 of 28 (939 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Wild Banchi wrote:
There has to be a way for customer service to block data on your phone line. My guess is that, yes, they probably didn't even want to bother with it. I'm almost certain AT&T will do this for you, even free of charge.

If you don't mind, I would give CS another ring and kindly ask again. Maybe this time they will be more willing...

There are quite a few users here that have found (been told by customer service) that at&t will NOT block the data network access on a prepaid line of service. Smiley Sad 

The only options I know of are 1) as OnlytheShadowKnows has already mentioned - "break" the connectivity via the phone's settings (doable on some at&t devices, but not all - it was with the SE W518a I purchased earlier this year), or 2) use a phone designated as a smartphone by at&t w/o the additional data feature plan.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 14 of 28 (934 Views)
Master

hme83 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

There are quite a few users here that have found (been told by customer service) that at&t will NOT block the data network access on a prepaid line of service. Smiley Sad 

The only options I know of are 1) as OnlytheShadowKnows has already mentioned - "break" the connectivity via the phone's settings (doable on some at&t devices, but not all - it was with the SE W518a I purchased earlier this year), or 2) use a phone designated as a smartphone by at&t w/o the additional data feature plan.

Again, there goes yet another restriction for prepaid customers... Smiley Indifferent

How inconvenient of AT&T.

Message 15 of 28 (925 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.