Helpful Links

My AT&T experience

Guru

My AT&T experience

I have been with AT&T for six months now and I gotta say that I am pleased with the service that I have gotten so far. It hasn't been 100% perfect but the few hiccups I have encountered haven't been hair pulling infuriating either. The times that I contacted customer care they were more than friendly and professional. I get excellent reception and get landline call quality, I live in the Boston area and have read on other forums about the lack of a signal but I have not experienced any of that. I'm on the $50 unlimited plan and it works great for me, especially coming off the $75 plan. Just thought I'd share my perspective thus far to those who live in my area and who are considering a prepaid plan, which I feel is the way to go as it seems to be less of a hassle compared to post paid.

Message 1 of 10
Master

Re: My AT&T experience

I'd have to agree; prepaid is the way to go if you want to avoid paying for a data plan for a smartphone and to have a cheaper cell phone plan every month. It's not embarrassing to say that "oh, I have a prepaid phone" when you know it works very well for you compared to postpaid service.

As for me, I've been an AT&T GoPhone user since 12/25/09 and am proud of it. This year on Christmas I can say that I've been using AT&T for two years. I know that doesn't seem like a very long time for most people, but time sure flies I have noticed. My bill is $300 a year, which is not bad at all considering that some people on postpaid plans pay up to $300+ a MONTH! I've had three different phones during my time with AT&T, but I suppose that's all right...

I'm also a satisfied GoPhone user. I get, ehhh, pretty good service mostly everywhere I go except that the service in my home isn't that great if I'm in the lower level of my house. Still, upstairs I get 3G in three different rooms so that's definitely a plus. You know where I am most of the time. Smiley Tongue However, my favorite parts of being with AT&T as a GoPhone user is my rate/talk plan, the ability to use my smartphone without a data plan, and the overall cheap cost to keep my service in service every month.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 10
Guru

Just to follow up on your point about it's not embarassing to have a prepaid plan, heck not only am I not embarrased I'm proud of it Smiley Happy I like the idea of paying a monthly flat fee and getting service comparable to post paid without any surprises and not being tied to a contract. I think if people looked closer at AT&T's phones and prepaid plans it would go a long way in changing the belief that prepaid has lame phones and plans. I understand that there are  prepaid carriers that have less than quality phones, but that's not the case with AT&T's offerings. I use an excellent  performing, sleek and solidly built phone on prepaid and I feel no shame in that. In fact I'm considering buying my daughter the HTC Freestyle and getting the same plan I'm on.

Message 3 of 10
Master

What I think people don't understand when they first think about prepaid is that they can use ANY single phone that they want (preferred not to be unlocked and the iPhone is "not authorized", although you can use them). From a cheap flip phone to a more midscale feature phone, even up to a $500 smartphone, you can use them all!

I can assure you that people think that, "Oh, the phones are so lame and crappy, I guess I'll just have to sign up for a contract..." And that's not the case at all. They must not realize the quality and benefits of prepaid and what advantages it has over regular postpaid service. With the phone you love at a price you love even more, it's absolutely unbeatable.

Message 4 of 10
Guru

I couldn't agree more, the combination of the phone of your choice and the freedom and flexibility of a prepaid plan is really hard to pass up.  And having  as many options as possible is only going to attract more customers, I think once people realize that it'll definitely change the image of prepaid. I just hope that if there is an increase in prepaid customers AT&T won't take advantage and ruin it in some way.

Message 5 of 10
Guru

LOL, I meant that last part jokingly, from what I've seen in the time I have been with them rates have gone down, but you never know with corporations Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 10
Master

Jokingly or not, it still likely could happen... We'll just hope that it never does and stays the way it is now. However, I'll gladly accept lower pricing and more promotions to choose from. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Guru

If AT&T and Verizon keep battling it out, we the consumers should do OK. Wild Banchi, in your two years have you seen many changes with Go Phone, good, bad and or indifferent?

Message 8 of 10
Master

Mostly good, here. I was overjoyed when AT&T changed their Simple Rate talk plan from the original $0.25 per minute (ouch!) to just $0.10 back in October. That really made me happy and proud to be a GoPhone customer. I now could talk more...for less!

Let's see...what else... I remember with adding money to your account by dialing 611 using the IVR system, they changed it up a bit awhile back so that when you are trying to add money using a prepaid refill card, you had to call a different phone number. But it will transfer you there so it's not too frustrating.

One thing I really do not like about the IVR when trying to add money/select a feature package is that the system is so sensitive. If you have any background noise like music or anyone talking, the "lady" can't understand you and everything gets all screwed up. You have to be in almost completely silent location when dialing 611 for that sensitive reason.

Other than that, I don't remember anything that has caused a problem/any changes for the better that they made, other than changes to the Simple Plan and making the data pay-per-use and packages much more affordable for the value. They also lowered the price of the $60 Unlimited Talk & Text plan to $50 and even threw in unlimited web, isn't that right? Very affordable.

Message 9 of 10
Guru

Oh man! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the IVR is too sensitive, I was beginning to think it was my phone, and here I am making adjustments in my sound settings Smiley Tongue Yeah, I was really happy when they lowered the price of their old monthly plan, it's funny the new monthly plan was to be available on June 26 but I switched five days before that. AT&T dropping the price 25 cents to 10 is a good amount for them to drop. When I was with Boost Mobile they also charged 10 cents per minute.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support