Wireless Forums

Posted May 1, 2012
2:32:43 PM
My AT&T Iphone unlocking's journey
Edited by ddalex89 on May 1, 2012 at 2:40:12 PM

First of all, thank you for whoever reading my story. I write it down not only to vent my fruitration and disapointment, but also an experience that I want to share with everyone.
As you all know, AT&T started to unlock on April 8th 2012. This is great. It shows that AT&T really respects their customers and are confident enough in its quality that even with unlocking, its customers still stick with AT&T and not move to another phone carrier.

I am an AT&T customer, or to be specific "a prepaid AT&T customer" for more than 6 months. I am an internation student. To be able to sign a contract, I need to have a good credit or deposit $400+ for 2 years. I am a student and I don't have that kind of money. Even though, I have a good credit but without Social Security Number, I can't sign a contract. I just don't have a choice but to go for prepaid.

And here my unlocking journey started:

It was the morning Sunday that AT&T announced its unlocking and the first thing I did on Monday was going to a local AT&T store. To be honest, I don't know how all the departments in AT&T work but the lady there greeted me with "sorry we don't unlock Iphone" and pointed me to a 3rd-party phone seller who she assured that "the people there will unlock your iphone, but you need to pay some money." I asked her again and she confirmed "only 3rd-party phone seller can unlock your iphone"  I may be a fool to trust her and after i drove for a mile to the nearest one, the Chinese laday there said "No, we don't unlock Iphone. Only AT&T can unlock it."

I tried to keep my calm and went back to the AT&T store. The laday, again, guaranteed me that AT&T didn't unlock Iphone. I showed her the website with the news from my Iphone and she didn't even care to take a look. Disapointed, I drove another 4 miles to another AT&T store. As least, someone knows his job well and the man straight away said that we don't do unlocking here and I needed to call AT&T or go to the Chat Support.

Exhausted from the 3 hours trip, I created an AT&T wireless account and inputed my prepaid phone number. Unfortunately, the chat support service doesn't support prepaid phone and suggested me to call AT&T Customer Service. I called it a day as I was really really depressed and had no mood to talk on the phone.

The next day, I called AT&T customer support. Since my number is a prepaid phone number, It linked me to prepaid customer support. The people there were helpful. They tried to help me. However, the process was dragging. I can't remember how many times I was on 15 minutes hold or drop calls which is a lot for a limited-minutes phone number. They can't confirm if I am eligable for unlocking as they couldn't check if my account or the original owner was in good standing and the phone's contract condition. I tried to persuade by showing them that I already used their prepaid service for more than 6 months. I paid my bill on time and my account was good. Finally, the laday there filed a case number for me and asked me to fax the original receipt. Wait.. I already told her that I purchased the phone as second hand from a 3rd-party website. It's impossible for me to contact the original owner, not mentioning someone would keep his 2 years old receipt. I thanked her and called again, and after I talked to 4 AT&T customer representative, the last one finally told me the reason that prepaid phone customer support doesn't do unlocking Iphone and they need to contact other department, and to be able to contact other department, they need the receipt or proof of purchase. Exhausted from 2 hours talking and my phone was draining out of minutes, I still tried to look for the original owner's profile. I called him, he didn't pick up the phone. I sent him a text-message, then an e-mail, explaining my situation and seeking for his help, he didn't reply. Everything was "great".

After two weeks of giving up, my friend suggested me sending an e-mail. I had no choice but to lie that I am living in oversea and used the famous-Asian-broken English intetionally. After two days, I was so happy when I received an reply e-mail that my phone is eligable and needed to wait 8 days as there are  many requests. I knew there was hope. I knew some people 's iphone was unlocked before time, so I e-mailed again with my case number yesterday to ask the current process and I got an e-mail:

"The unlock code for this device is unavailable due to security 
restrictions based on the device's history."

No sender name, no "Sincerely" at the end. It feels like an automatic e-mail. I don't know if AT&T is playing game with its customer but to be honest, It has been more than 20 days and I'm really exhausted. It seems like taking forever just to unlock a phone and I'm really depressing. 

I hope my story can help AT&T improves its quality and service, and thank you for whoever reading it.

Duc,

First of all, thank you for whoever reading my story. I write it down not only to vent my fruitration and disapointment, but also an experience that I want to share with everyone.
As you all know, AT&T started to unlock on April 8th 2012. This is great. It shows that AT&T really respects their customers and are confident enough in its quality that even with unlocking, its customers still stick with AT&T and not move to another phone carrier.

I am an AT&T customer, or to be specific "a prepaid AT&T customer" for more than 6 months. I am an internation student. To be able to sign a contract, I need to have a good credit or deposit $400+ for 2 years. I am a student and I don't have that kind of money. Even though, I have a good credit but without Social Security Number, I can't sign a contract. I just don't have a choice but to go for prepaid.

It was the morning Sunday that AT&T announced its unlocking and the first thing I did on Monday was going to a local AT&T store. To be honest, I don't know how all the departments in AT&T work but the lady there greeted me with "sorry we don't unlock Iphone" and pointed me to a 3rd-party phone seller who she assured that "the people there will unlock your iphone, but you need to pay some money." I asked her again and she confirmed "only 3rd-party phone seller can unlock your iphone"  I may be a fool to trust her and after i drove for a mile to the nearest one, the Chinese laday there said "No, we don't unlock Iphone. Only AT&T can unlock it."

I tried to keep my calm and went back to the AT&T store. The laday, again, guaranteed me that AT&T didn't unlock Iphone. I showed her the website with the news from my Iphone and she didn't even care to take a look. Disapointed, I drove another 4 miles to another AT&T store. As least, someone knows his job well and the man straight away said that we don't do unlocking here and I needed to call AT&T or go to the Chat Support.

Exhausted from the 3 hours trip, I created an AT&T wireless account and inputed my prepaid phone number. Unfortunately, the chat support service doesn't support prepaid phone and suggested me to call AT&T Customer Service. I called it a day as I was really really depressed and had no mood to talk on the phone.

The next day, I called AT&T customer support. Since my number is a prepaid phone number, It linked me to prepaid customer support. The people there were helpful. They tried to help me. However, the process was dragging. I can't remember how many times I was on 15 minutes hold or drop calls which is a lot for a limited-minutes phone number. They can't confirm if I am eligable for unlocking as they couldn't check if my account or the original owner was in good standing and the phone's contract condition. I tried to persuade by showing them that I already used their prepaid service for more than 6 months. I paid my bill on time and my account was good. Finally, the laday there filed a case number for me and asked me to fax the original receipt. Wait.. I already told her that I purchased the phone as second hand from a 3rd-party website. It's impossible for me to contact the original owner, not mentioning someone would keep his 2 years old receipt. I thanked her and called again, and after I talked to 4 AT&T customer representative, the last one finally told me the reason that prepaid phone customer support doesn't do unlocking Iphone and they need to contact other department, and to be able to contact other department, they need the receipt or proof of purchase. Exhausted from 2 hours talking and my phone was draining out of minutes, I still tried to look for the original owner's profile. I called him, he didn't pick up the phone. I sent him a text-message, then an e-mail, explaining my situation and seeking for his help, he didn't reply. Everything was "great".

After two weeks of giving up, my friend suggested me sending an e-mail. I had no choice but to lie that I am living in oversea and used the famous-Asian-broken English intetionally. After two days, I was so happy when I received an reply e-mail that my phone is eligable and needed to wait 8 days as there are  many requests. I knew there was hope. I knew some people 's iphone was unlocked before time, so I e-mailed again with my case number yesterday to ask the current process and I got an e-mail:

No sender name, no "Sincerely" at the end. It feels like an automatic e-mail. I don't know if AT&T is playing game with its customer but to be honest, It has been more than 20 days and I'm really exhausted. It seems like taking forever just to unlock a phone and I'm really depressing. 

I hope my story can help AT&T improves its quality and service, and thank you for whoever reading it.

Duc,

My AT&T Iphone unlocking's journey

[ Edited ]
11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 4:45:17 PM
(0)
Guru

ddalex89 wrote:

Duc,

I'm so sorry this happened to you. That's very rough, and it's a tough situation to have to deal with. The iPhone isn't officially supported by AT&T on any GoPhone Pre-Paid Plans, that's why that section of AT&T's support team could not help you. You'd need to be transfered or contact AT&T's unlocking/technical support team for post-paid costumers. As you said, the device isn't eligable to be unlocked by AT&T. When the lady said she would give you a case number, she was saying she'd be able to put in a request for an unlock for your iPhone. That request was denied. This may be because you could not verfy proof-of-purchuse, a new requirement by AT&T that they may have implimented before making an official announcement. I'd also think because the IMEI of the iPhone was regestered to AT&T's GoPhone network and you claimed you were over-seas, the company may have red-flagged you and the device. I'd try to contact them agian. Since the unlocking policy is new, there's still a lot of kinks to work out.

ddalex89 wrote:

Duc,

I'm so sorry this happened to you. That's very rough, and it's a tough situation to have to deal with. The iPhone isn't officially supported by AT&T on any GoPhone Pre-Paid Plans, that's why that section of AT&T's support team could not help you. You'd need to be transfered or contact AT&T's unlocking/technical support team for post-paid costumers. As you said, the device isn't eligable to be unlocked by AT&T. When the lady said she would give you a case number, she was saying she'd be able to put in a request for an unlock for your iPhone. That request was denied. This may be because you could not verfy proof-of-purchuse, a new requirement by AT&T that they may have implimented before making an official announcement. I'd also think because the IMEI of the iPhone was regestered to AT&T's GoPhone network and you claimed you were over-seas, the company may have red-flagged you and the device. I'd try to contact them agian. Since the unlocking policy is new, there's still a lot of kinks to work out.

Experience the Underlyingsound.

Re: My AT&T Iphone unlocking's journey

2 of 12 (9,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 11:00:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ddalex89 on May 5, 2012 at 11:07:00 PM

I know it's wrong to say that I am in oversea but AT&T wasn't right as well.

-The reff at the AT&T local store had no idea about it, and still, she lead me to a 3rd-phone-dealer and wasted my time and energy.

-There is no Customer Support Chat for Prepaid phone. It takes forever to reply by e-mail.

-When I called Customer Service, they had no idea as well and I needed to ask them to check their policy.

-There is no Unlocking Iphone policy for Prepaid Customer eventhough we are AT&T customer.

-I called Apple Care and it pushed the responsibility to AT&T. I called AT&T Customer Service and it pushed the responsibility to Apple.

Especially, you don't know how it feels when all of your friends and relatives in oversea which is in a place half of the world from America, still they can do it, while you live just beside AT&T and it gives you all the reasons.

Anyway, I think you are right about my account got red flag.

I received 2 e-mails. The 1st one said my iphone is not elligable due to security reason.

The 2nd one said "the IMEI you provided is not eligible for unlocking. Unfortunately, AT&T cannot provide any further details regarding this matter"

Really disapointed!

5 more months my AT&T Internet contract will be expired and I don't even feel like renew my contract.

-The reff at the AT&T local store had no idea about it, and still, she lead me to a 3rd-phone-dealer and wasted my time and energy.

-There is no Customer Support Chat for Prepaid phone. It takes forever to reply by e-mail.

-When I called Customer Service, they had no idea as well and I needed to ask them to check their policy.

-There is no Unlocking Iphone policy for Prepaid Customer eventhough we are AT&T customer.

-I called Apple Care and it pushed the responsibility to AT&T. I called AT&T Customer Service and it pushed the responsibility to Apple.

Especially, you don't know how it feels when all of your friends and relatives in oversea which is in a place half of the world from America, still they can do it, while you live just beside AT&T and it gives you all the reasons.

I received 2 e-mails. The 1st one said my iphone is not elligable due to security reason.

The 2nd one said "the IMEI you provided is not eligible for unlocking. Unfortunately, AT&T cannot provide any further details regarding this matter"

Really disapointed!

5 more months my AT&T Internet contract will be expired and I don't even feel like renew my contract.

[ Edited ]
3 of 12 (9,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 6, 2012 5:38:58 AM
(0)
Guru

AT&T has defined their eligibility rules for iPhone unlocking. For whatever reason, your phone doesn't meet the criteria. They did recently clarify the requirements, beyond just that the iPhone must be out of contract. Whether you think AT&T was "right" or not is irrelevant. If you needed an unlocked iPhone, you could have purchased one.

AT&T has defined their eligibility rules for iPhone unlocking. For whatever reason, your phone doesn't meet the criteria. They did recently clarify the requirements, beyond just that the iPhone must be out of contract. Whether you think AT&T was "right" or not is irrelevant. If you needed an unlocked iPhone, you could have purchased one.

4 of 12 (9,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 8:13:16 AM
(0)
Master

If I had to guess at the reasons for the change, it comes down to processing requests for individuals who do not have or never had a relationship with ATT.  They bought their phones second hand from individuals and not from authorized sellers or resellers.  They, ATT, probably got slammed with lots of requests that added no value to their customer base past or present.

As a customer, I do not want to see my prices go up to support those who do not or have never had a business relationship with the company and in that sense it does mean that many are going to be unknowingly hurt by this.  ATT is a service provider and most of these overseas requests come from folks who have never paid ATT for anything.  And if ATT does come up with a price to charge for the service, it would probably create unintended consequences for existing customers and/or those who want to abuse the system.

I would expect the criteria to evolve over time as we have just in the past few weeks.  It is a start and it is better than what was in place since the initial release of the iPhone.

JAT (Just a Thought)

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

If I had to guess at the reasons for the change, it comes down to processing requests for individuals who do not have or never had a relationship with ATT.  They bought their phones second hand from individuals and not from authorized sellers or resellers.  They, ATT, probably got slammed with lots of requests that added no value to their customer base past or present.

As a customer, I do not want to see my prices go up to support those who do not or have never had a business relationship with the company and in that sense it does mean that many are going to be unknowingly hurt by this.  ATT is a service provider and most of these overseas requests come from folks who have never paid ATT for anything.  And if ATT does come up with a price to charge for the service, it would probably create unintended consequences for existing customers and/or those who want to abuse the system.

I would expect the criteria to evolve over time as we have just in the past few weeks.  It is a start and it is better than what was in place since the initial release of the iPhone.

JAT (Just a Thought)

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 12 (9,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 2:39:31 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on May 6, 2012 at 2:42:01 PM

ddalex89 wrote:

Really disapointed!

sorry to disppoint you but even internationally there care carriers that do not unlock the phone, Apple has a detailed list of which carriers do or do not unlock the IPhone

ddalex89 wrote:

Really disapointed!

sorry to disppoint you but even internationally there care carriers that do not unlock the phone, Apple has a detailed list of which carriers do or do not unlock the IPhone

[ Edited ]
6 of 12 (9,353 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2012 11:07:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

i was in a similar situation as you, and now I have my iphone 4 unlocked...Just like you, i'm currently an At&t GoPhone customer. I tried the email method just as advised by many, but At&t has stopped unlocking iphones for non-customers. I'm sorry, but they exclude GoPhone users as well. So what I did, after receiving the email stating that they couldn't help me, I asked a friend of mine, who's currently an At&t customer (not GoPhone customer ) to log in to his account and talk to a rep via chat, and I gave him my IMEI number to request the unlock. My friend never mentioned that the iphone was mine, he just stated that he had an Iphone he had bought a while ago, and would like to have it unlocked. After a few minutes of checking and verifying (they check that the customer asking is a current att customer in good standing, the phone hasn't been reported lost/stolen etc the online rep said it was eligible for an unlock. They send him an email, which he forward it to me, and I followed the instructions in the email, and now my friend. This guy has an unlocked phone. 

P.S. My friend had never bought an iphone before, basically meaning that as long that the person requestin an unlock is a att customer they can do it :smileyhappy:

i was in a similar situation as you, and now I have my iphone 4 unlocked...Just like you, i'm currently an At&t GoPhone customer. I tried the email method just as advised by many, but At&t has stopped unlocking iphones for non-customers. I'm sorry, but they exclude GoPhone users as well. So what I did, after receiving the email stating that they couldn't help me, I asked a friend of mine, who's currently an At&t customer (not GoPhone customer ) to log in to his account and talk to a rep via chat, and I gave him my IMEI number to request the unlock. My friend never mentioned that the iphone was mine, he just stated that he had an Iphone he had bought a while ago, and would like to have it unlocked. After a few minutes of checking and verifying (they check that the customer asking is a current att customer in good standing, the phone hasn't been reported lost/stolen etc the online rep said it was eligible for an unlock. They send him an email, which he forward it to me, and I followed the instructions in the email, and now my friend. This guy has an unlocked phone. 

P.S. My friend had never bought an iphone before, basically meaning that as long that the person requestin an unlock is a att customer they can do it :smileyhappy:

7 of 12 (9,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2012 3:35:20 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on May 15, 2012 at 3:37:11 AM

Sleepywho wrote:

You must have done it before the policy changed, the IMEI number is no longer valid to determine if the phone can be unlocked, as you can see from the current policy below. they still do provide unlock for non-customers as long as that person can supply a invoice / bill of sale showing that they payed full retail price from a authorized dealer - key word authorized, fleabay is not a authorized dealer for iphones

The iphone never has been officially support for gophones, so that answers your first concern.

ATT Iphone unlock.PNG

Sleepywho wrote:

You must have done it before the policy changed, the IMEI number is no longer valid to determine if the phone can be unlocked, as you can see from the current policy below. they still do provide unlock for non-customers as long as that person can supply a invoice / bill of sale showing that they payed full retail price from a authorized dealer - key word authorized, fleabay is not a authorized dealer for iphones

The iphone never has been officially support for gophones, so that answers your first concern.

ATT Iphone unlock.PNG

[ Edited ]
8 of 12 (9,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2012 9:34:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

My friend, hello, I hope you can help me unlock my device, because I did not att wireless number and account number, I am hoping someone help me unlock my device

My friend, hello, I hope you can help me unlock my device, because I did not att wireless number and account number, I am hoping someone help me unlock my device

9 of 12 (8,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2012 10:09:42 AM
(0)
Master

huiminghe wrote:

Call ATT directly but if you do not have an account past or present you are probably out of luck.  You may be better off selling your iPhone and buying one that works for your country.

huiminghe wrote:

Call ATT directly but if you do not have an account past or present you are probably out of luck.  You may be better off selling your iPhone and buying one that works for your country.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

10 of 12 (8,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2012 7:26:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
can you please send me their email

11 of 12 (8,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2012 7:50:05 PM
(0)
Master

isidro_jr wrote:

You need to call the number in my signature!  If it is too expensive to call, use Skype.

isidro_jr wrote:

You need to call the number in my signature!  If it is too expensive to call, use Skype.

12 of 12 (8,908 Views)