Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 17, 2009
5:52:09 PM
Multiple phones?

I am not sure where to post this question:

I am new to this whole cell phone scene and so I am unsure if this is doable.  I have an individual plan with only one line but I like two different phones.  Is it possible to have 2 SIM cards dedicated to my plan and number so I can use both phones at the same time?

I mean, I have the Samsung Eternity (feature phone) but I think I want a SmartPhone...more specifically, I think I want the BlackBerry Storm from Verizon (which is a whole another question in itself, cuz I wouldn't know if I can buy a Verizon phone for Att) and keep my Eternity to use both of them.

Really, I just like the phones cuz of the features.  I am not much of a talker so I cant (dont want) another line/number.  How can I use both phones at the same time??

I am new to this whole cell phone scene and so I am unsure if this is doable.  I have an individual plan with only one line but I like two different phones.  Is it possible to have 2 SIM cards dedicated to my plan and number so I can use both phones at the same time?

I mean, I have the Samsung Eternity (feature phone) but I think I want a SmartPhone...more specifically, I think I want the BlackBerry Storm from Verizon (which is a whole another question in itself, cuz I wouldn't know if I can buy a Verizon phone for Att) and keep my Eternity to use both of them.

Really, I just like the phones cuz of the features.  I am not much of a talker so I cant (dont want) another line/number.  How can I use both phones at the same time??

Multiple phones?

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2009 6:02:39 PM
(0)
Professor

cellnewbie09 wrote:

Verizon does not use SIM cards like AT&T does, so your idea would not work. Plus, AT&T does not have a plan that you can have 2 SIM cards dedicated to the same phone number. Now, you can have two numbers on your AT&T plan, but there would be two different numbers.

The only way to put your idea into a working mode is to have an AT&T account for the Eternity and a Verizon account for the BlackBerry. Sorry, nice idea though. It would be great to be able to use different phones with the same number, that way you could have one for days off and the other for work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

cellnewbie09 wrote:

Verizon does not use SIM cards like AT&T does, so your idea would not work. Plus, AT&T does not have a plan that you can have 2 SIM cards dedicated to the same phone number. Now, you can have two numbers on your AT&T plan, but there would be two different numbers.

The only way to put your idea into a working mode is to have an AT&T account for the Eternity and a Verizon account for the BlackBerry. Sorry, nice idea though. It would be great to be able to use different phones with the same number, that way you could have one for days off and the other for work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

Re: Multiple phones?

2 of 12 (2,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2009 6:26:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

ghostryder wrote:

cellnewbie09 wrote:

I mean, I have the Samsung Eternity (feature phone) but I think I want a SmartPhone..More specifically, I think I want the BlackBerry Storm from Verizon (which is a whole another question in itself, cuz I wouldn't know if I can buy a Verizon phone for Att) and keep my Eternity to use both of them.

You could get an overseas (European) version of the storm that will work on at&it's EDGE service. The biggest problem will be that you will need a BB plan on your account in order to make the data correctly. So theoretically if you had the storm listed as your primary device and had data connection with it you could use that sim card in the Eternity and use data services and text as well. At&t cannot gaurantee that the service will work with data, but it is the best chance you have.

ghostryder wrote:

cellnewbie09 wrote:

I mean, I have the Samsung Eternity (feature phone) but I think I want a SmartPhone..More specifically, I think I want the BlackBerry Storm from Verizon (which is a whole another question in itself, cuz I wouldn't know if I can buy a Verizon phone for Att) and keep my Eternity to use both of them.

You could get an overseas (European) version of the storm that will work on at&it's EDGE service. The biggest problem will be that you will need a BB plan on your account in order to make the data correctly. So theoretically if you had the storm listed as your primary device and had data connection with it you could use that sim card in the Eternity and use data services and text as well. At&t cannot gaurantee that the service will work with data, but it is the best chance you have.

3 of 12 (2,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2009 8:48:07 PM
(0)
Master

You absolutely cannot do this.  For starters, Verizon phones are technologically incompatible with AT&T's network, so they will not work at all.  Second, you cannot have 2 SIM cards active on the same phone line.  You could switch a SIM card back & forth, but different phones require different data plans, and there's no guarantee a Blackberry data plan would work in another phone (due to the nature of BB data going through RIM).

cellnewbie09 wrote:

You absolutely cannot do this.  For starters, Verizon phones are technologically incompatible with AT&T's network, so they will not work at all.  Second, you cannot have 2 SIM cards active on the same phone line.  You could switch a SIM card back & forth, but different phones require different data plans, and there's no guarantee a Blackberry data plan would work in another phone (due to the nature of BB data going through RIM).

cellnewbie09 wrote:

4 of 12 (2,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2009 10:23:26 PM
(0)
Guru
You can use a SIM card that is provisioned on a line with any BlackBerry data service with any phone that is not an iPhone, and still use the data services.

It's all about APN provisioning. Basically, all data features are a combination of APNs. BlackBerry plans are DATA and BLACKBERRY. iPhones are DATA, APPLE, and PHONE. PDA phones are DATA with no apple or blackberry filling.

Mmmmm.... Anyway, non-BB phones will just get the DATA side of it, even with a SIM rocking a BB plan.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
You can use a SIM card that is provisioned on a line with any BlackBerry data service with any phone that is not an iPhone, and still use the data services.

It's all about APN provisioning. Basically, all data features are a combination of APNs. BlackBerry plans are DATA and BLACKBERRY. iPhones are DATA, APPLE, and PHONE. PDA phones are DATA with no apple or blackberry filling.

Mmmmm.... Anyway, non-BB phones will just get the DATA side of it, even with a SIM rocking a BB plan.

5 of 12 (2,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 4:31:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

APNs?  Whats that? 

Hmm, I did not know that the BBs worked that way -- going thru another area.  Man that sucks.  I really want two phones at the same time.  Well, I guess until they make a SuperPhone (gosh I hope no one steals that name I made up) that does everything that a person could want I am up the creek.

Mister Xiado wrote:

APNs?  Whats that? 

Hmm, I did not know that the BBs worked that way -- going thru another area.  Man that sucks.  I really want two phones at the same time.  Well, I guess until they make a SuperPhone (gosh I hope no one steals that name I made up) that does everything that a person could want I am up the creek.

Mister Xiado wrote:

6 of 12 (2,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 5:55:30 PM
(0)
Master
APNs are Access Point Names.  You can Google them to find out more aobut their functionality.  If you want both phone active at the exact same time, you're going to have to get another line.  You could forward all calls from the second line to the first one, but you cannot have 2 SIMs active on one line.  This has nothing to do with the differing technologies of the phones.  Sorry that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but that's the reality of the situation.
APNs are Access Point Names.  You can Google them to find out more aobut their functionality.  If you want both phone active at the exact same time, you're going to have to get another line.  You could forward all calls from the second line to the first one, but you cannot have 2 SIMs active on one line.  This has nothing to do with the differing technologies of the phones.  Sorry that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but that's the reality of the situation.

7 of 12 (2,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 7:16:27 PM
(0)
Professor
World phones have this capability. They are expensive as you cannot get subsidization for them. I used a BB a few years ago. I had paid around 970 for it back then. Was a pain to get it set up but I could verizon and AT&T. I couldn't however use them at the same time. I had to turn off settings and turn on different settings then power cycle the phone.
World phones have this capability. They are expensive as you cannot get subsidization for them. I used a BB a few years ago. I had paid around 970 for it back then. Was a pain to get it set up but I could verizon and AT&T. I couldn't however use them at the same time. I had to turn off settings and turn on different settings then power cycle the phone.

8 of 12 (2,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 9:29:52 AM
(0)
Guru
Dual-SIM phones allow you to set up connection profiles for each SIM, but forget paying two providers for two accounts on a single phone.

But to be clear and on topic, you can swap your SIM card between phones, provided they are not locked to a carrier, or your SIM card is from the carrier the phone is subsidized through.

The BlackBerry Storm is trash. The Storm 2 is a significant improvement.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Dual-SIM phones allow you to set up connection profiles for each SIM, but forget paying two providers for two accounts on a single phone.

But to be clear and on topic, you can swap your SIM card between phones, provided they are not locked to a carrier, or your SIM card is from the carrier the phone is subsidized through.

9 of 12 (2,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 5:14:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well, I guess switching SIMs between phones wouldn't be that bad...I could handle that. 

But, how would I unlock my phones?  Is that illegal?  Also, how do I know my SIM is subsidized from my carrier?  I mean, when I bought my phone (and service) from Att a few weeks ago they gave me a SIM (the SIM I needed to be on their network).  Is my SIM from Att subsidized?  How do I get a sovereign SIM?

Mister Xiado wrote:

Well, I guess switching SIMs between phones wouldn't be that bad...I could handle that. 

But, how would I unlock my phones?  Is that illegal?  Also, how do I know my SIM is subsidized from my carrier?  I mean, when I bought my phone (and service) from Att a few weeks ago they gave me a SIM (the SIM I needed to be on their network).  Is my SIM from Att subsidized?  How do I get a sovereign SIM?

Mister Xiado wrote:

10 of 12 (2,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 5:31:07 PM
(0)
Guru
It's not illegal to unlock a phone, no one is going to arrest you.

11 of 12 (2,007 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 5:47:24 PM
(0)
Professor

totalimmortal363 wrote:
Its not illegal, but unauthorized unlocking does yield a void of warranty. So if there was a manufacturer defect and you did an unauthorized unlock you will have to find a way to fix it yourself.

totalimmortal363 wrote:
Its not illegal, but unauthorized unlocking does yield a void of warranty. So if there was a manufacturer defect and you did an unauthorized unlock you will have to find a way to fix it yourself.

12 of 12 (2,005 Views)