Moving to the UK for 6 months. Should I cancel my contract?

Contributor

Moving to the UK for 6 months. Should I cancel my contract?

Hi all,

I'm moving to London for 6 months starting in October. Unfortunately I'm only halfway though a 2 year iPhone 4 contract with AT&T.  I'm leaning towards just canceling the contract, but I thought I'd check here for advice. What would you do? What are my options?

Many thanks!

dilly

Message 1 of 3 (350 Views)
Master

Re: Moving to the UK for 6 months. Should I cancel my contract?

Here are a couple of thoughts.  You can suspend your account; I think you can do that for three months.  After that, unless you have unlimited data and you do not have a plan that is no longer offered that you have to have, drop your account down to the 450 minute plan and just pay for it for three months. That may be cheaper or similar to cancelling your account and you get to keep you current phone number.  Keep in mind that if you have a plan with A-list and you change it, may will loose the ablity to get A-List back based on reports I saw yesterday? 

When you suspend your account, your contract and eligibility for upgrades also gets pushed back by the number of months your account is suspended but in the end you may be ahead and have fewer hassels.

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 3 (341 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Moving to the UK for 6 months. Should I cancel my contract?

Suspending the account is the best option.

It is also possible to drop to voice only service for the time that you will be out of the country, I believe AT&T will require you to provide the IMEI number for a "dumb" phone or QMD device to do this.  The contract only requires tht you have voice service.

Message 3 of 3 (330 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.