Moved to a No Coverage area and ATT won't release me from my contract w/o paying the ETF...

Contributor

Moved to a No Coverage area and ATT won't release me from my contract w/o paying the ETF...

What the heck! I've been with ATT for almost 3 years in Alaska (the only "nationwide" provider up there) and have had great service and coverage. I really thought it would be just as good or better when we made the move back "home" to Montana, but it SUCKS! The only coverage I have is in my home in a little corner, I need to add another line so when I travel back and forth to work (100 mls round trip) I am able to have contact with my kids, I would like to have a somewhat "local" number so people in my community can call me without it being long distance, and they can't do anything for me!

Is it my fault they don't have full coverage in the state of Montana? I would like to stay with them, but not if I can't even make a phone call. Looks like I get to pay them every month for the next year and half for NOTHING! I am so mad!Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 8 (2,371 Views)
Guru

Re: Moved to a No Coverage area and ATT won't release me from my contract w/o paying the ETF...

weizguyz wrote:

Is it my fault they don't have full coverage in the state of Montana?

No, but it's not also their fault that you're moving to an area where AT&T has little or no coverage.

The ETF applies correctly because you started your service in an area where you had coverage. Moving to a no-coverage area doesn't free your from the ETF.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8 (2,368 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Moved to a No Coverage area and ATT won't release me from my contract w/o paying the ETF...

Virtual wrote:

weizguyz wrote:

Is it my fault they don't have full coverage in the state of Montana?

No, but it's not also their fault that you're moving to an area where AT&T has little or no coverage.

The ETF applies correctly because you started your service in an area where you had coverage. Moving to a no-coverage area doesn't free your from the ETF.

Agreed.  If you need coverage at your new location, your only option at this point is to pay the ETF and find a provider that covers your area.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
Message 3 of 8 (2,344 Views)

omg when I went to Billings, MT, the service SUCKS!!! And I was surprised since it is the biggest city there. There was no 3G service and the EDGE was 1 bar. 

Message 4 of 8 (2,318 Views)
Master

Just wait until AT&T converts all the Alltel towers they bought mid-2010. There should be coverage then.

www.cellularmaps.com/alltel_divest.shtml
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 8 (2,299 Views)
Scholar

weizguyz wrote:

What the heck! I've been with ATT for almost 3 years in Alaska (the only "nationwide" provider up there) and have had great service and coverage. I really thought it would be just as good or better when we made the move back "home" to Montana, but it SUCKS! The only coverage I have is in my home in a little corner, I need to add another line so when I travel back and forth to work (100 mls round trip) I am able to have contact with my kids, I would like to have a somewhat "local" number so people in my community can call me without it being long distance, and they can't do anything for me!

Is it my fault they don't have full coverage in the state of Montana? I would like to stay with them, but not if I can't even make a phone call. Looks like I get to pay them every month for the next year and half for NOTHING! I am so mad!Smiley Mad

when you can get a signal just burn the heck out of those min.att will see your

making all of your call out of your area, heck they might even send you a letter

cancelling your service for you with etf,my friend did that when he moved from ky

to fl a few yrs ago, they dropped him like a hot potato

Message 6 of 8 (2,280 Views)
Teacher

AT&T owns the Alltel network here in Montana, and by the end of January you should have MUCH better coverage. All 3G too, and 3G that's 2-3 times the speed of Verizon Smiley Happy 

Message 7 of 8 (2,252 Views)
Expert

weizguyz wrote:

You could always transfer your number to someone else that lives where you moved from, this would release you out of your contract and you dont have to pay the termination fee.

Message 8 of 8 (2,226 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.