Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 5, 2011
3:29:56 PM
View profile
Moved now can't get signal - ATT said "too bad"

Someone tell me if this is right.  

We are a iphone family and have our iphones since the beginning.  Now we move - and we can't get 1 bar of signal at home- none of us.  When I called AT&T they said "too bad" it worked when you signed up that's why we give you the 30 day grace period.  You can cancel for a fee if you like - or we can sell you the Microcell and it may work.  I can't understand why I would want to pay  $200 to get a service I already paid for.  I like to leave ATT - go to Verizon - but we have 3 iphone 3gs - will have to upgrade to iphone 4 to get out of ATT, plus we have our ipad2.  Can't believe they got us.  Any suggestions?

Someone tell me if this is right.  

We are a iphone family and have our iphones since the beginning.  Now we move - and we can't get 1 bar of signal at home- none of us.  When I called AT&T they said "too bad" it worked when you signed up that's why we give you the 30 day grace period.  You can cancel for a fee if you like - or we can sell you the Microcell and it may work.  I can't understand why I would want to pay  $200 to get a service I already paid for.  I like to leave ATT - go to Verizon - but we have 3 iphone 3gs - will have to upgrade to iphone 4 to get out of ATT, plus we have our ipad2.  Can't believe they got us.  Any suggestions?

Moved now can't get signal - ATT said "too bad"

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2011 9:25:55 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Move back? Just kidding, seriously though, you can always sell your iPhones to cover termination fees, that's what early termination fees are, to cover a nice discount on phones AT&T gave you when you signed a contract. AT&T can not possibly guarantee service everywhere, Microcell is an option, canceling service and paying termination fee is an option, pick one.

Move back? Just kidding, seriously though, you can always sell your iPhones to cover termination fees, that's what early termination fees are, to cover a nice discount on phones AT&T gave you when you signed a contract. AT&T can not possibly guarantee service everywhere, Microcell is an option, canceling service and paying termination fee is an option, pick one.

Re: Moved now can't get signal - ATT said "too bad"

2 of 7 (4,798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 5:56:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

You said that you called ATT. Have you tried going in person to an ATT store to tell them about your lack of service quality? My wife and I recently moved one mile. Prior to the move we had great service, but after the mile our service sucked. I went in person and asked about why there was such a big difference. They explained what was probably the problem and offered us a Microcell free of charge. I know that they do not give them out to everyone who asks, but it's worth the try.

You said that you called ATT. Have you tried going in person to an ATT store to tell them about your lack of service quality? My wife and I recently moved one mile. Prior to the move we had great service, but after the mile our service sucked. I went in person and asked about why there was such a big difference. They explained what was probably the problem and offered us a Microcell free of charge. I know that they do not give them out to everyone who asks, but it's worth the try.

3 of 7 (4,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 9:51:19 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Free Microcell promo ended some time ago, about a month or so.

Free Microcell promo ended some time ago, about a month or so.

4 of 7 (4,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 7:32:46 AM
(0)
Guru

Of course, free or not, the Microcell has an extremely troubled service record. Some folks have no problems with them, but others, like us, haven't had a single day where the Microcell worked properly since the day they were first available a year and a half ago. Worst of all, if it doesn't work, you can absolutely count on getting no proper support at all from AT&T. Their basic attitude is that the Microcell will either work or it won't, and if it doesn't, then either return it or eBay it.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of switching providers, I'd look into a booster. We used to use the ZBoost YX510, and it worked pretty well. We're sticking with the Microcell because we put over 1000 minutes a month on it and have the $19.99 free calling feature in lieu of a Vonage line. We hope that some day it finally gets fixed, but all we can do in the meantime is wait, bellyache, and try and warn people about the problems.

Of course, free or not, the Microcell has an extremely troubled service record. Some folks have no problems with them, but others, like us, haven't had a single day where the Microcell worked properly since the day they were first available a year and a half ago. Worst of all, if it doesn't work, you can absolutely count on getting no proper support at all from AT&T. Their basic attitude is that the Microcell will either work or it won't, and if it doesn't, then either return it or eBay it.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of switching providers, I'd look into a booster. We used to use the ZBoost YX510, and it worked pretty well. We're sticking with the Microcell because we put over 1000 minutes a month on it and have the $19.99 free calling feature in lieu of a Vonage line. We hope that some day it finally gets fixed, but all we can do in the meantime is wait, bellyache, and try and warn people about the problems.

5 of 7 (4,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 10:19:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same issue 3 days ago. I called customer serivice and the girl would not help me.  I told her to transfer me to retentions so that I could cancel my 3 lines.  Once I was with retentions he offered to reduce the microcell to $99 and give me a $90 instant credit to my bill.  In the end I paid $10 and also got free shipping.  With today being the first day using the microcell I have no issues with using my iphones in my home.  I now have 5 bars all the time.  My suggestion to you is to have them transfer you to rententions as they don't want to loose your service especially if you have more than one line.

I had the same issue 3 days ago. I called customer serivice and the girl would not help me.  I told her to transfer me to retentions so that I could cancel my 3 lines.  Once I was with retentions he offered to reduce the microcell to $99 and give me a $90 instant credit to my bill.  In the end I paid $10 and also got free shipping.  With today being the first day using the microcell I have no issues with using my iphones in my home.  I now have 5 bars all the time.  My suggestion to you is to have them transfer you to rententions as they don't want to loose your service especially if you have more than one line.

6 of 7 (4,597 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2011 9:37:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

peacenhim2u wrote:

That is bascially what I did back in March after 2 weeks of no service. They didn't call it retentions then but that doesn't matter. I received a new MicroCell under the warranty exchange, that didn't work and received another one. That didn't work so after some haggling with AT&T they reduced my cell phone bill by $40 for "loss of service" and said they would send a technician out to my house to look at my setup and waive the $50  "service call" charge. Haven't a clue as to what he would do because we don't have AT&T services at all except for cell phone. Anyway, AT&T said that they would have to bill me when the service guy came out and then deduct the same amount from my monthly bill. I figured out how to get the MicroCell to work reliably and canceled the "service call". AT&T still went ahead and reduced that month's bill by $50 so I ended up getting my March bill reduced by $90. Go figure...

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

peacenhim2u wrote:

That is bascially what I did back in March after 2 weeks of no service. They didn't call it retentions then but that doesn't matter. I received a new MicroCell under the warranty exchange, that didn't work and received another one. That didn't work so after some haggling with AT&T they reduced my cell phone bill by $40 for "loss of service" and said they would send a technician out to my house to look at my setup and waive the $50  "service call" charge. Haven't a clue as to what he would do because we don't have AT&T services at all except for cell phone. Anyway, AT&T said that they would have to bill me when the service guy came out and then deduct the same amount from my monthly bill. I figured out how to get the MicroCell to work reliably and canceled the "service call". AT&T still went ahead and reduced that month's bill by $50 so I ended up getting my March bill reduced by $90. Go figure...

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 7 (4,580 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments