Motorola Tundra - Can not Delete contacts

Contributor

Motorola Tundra - Can not Delete contacts

at&t has pre-loaded a full page of entries in the address book that you can not delete.  They all are named AT&T xxxxx so they are always at the top of the list and you have to scroll through a complete page of numbers every time you want to find some on in the address book.  I called customer support and they told me there was no way to delete these.  I'm sure its a hidden code to unlock and delete these.  This is unacceptable that they force you to have numbers in your contacts that you will never use.  Has any one figured out how to delete these entries?
Message 1 of 36 (14,383 Views)
Contributor

Re: Motorola Tundra - Can not Delete contacts

just found a workaround, kinda.

enter a number before a real contact name = e.g. 1Brian, and it will display above the AT&T contacts.

Message 16 of 36 (6,933 Views)
Contributor

Maybe some would consider this picky, but not being able to get rid of, or AT LEAST simply reorder an entire screenful of useless AT&T advertising is at the very least very irritating. 

'Buy an unbranded phone if you don't like it,' does not seem reasonable to me.

Sure..you can filter the contact list..but from a filtered list selection you cannot DO anything but place a call from that list.  No shortcuts, no camera access, no anything but call from that list.

Seriously (and I'm not even kidding!) wouldn't you think someone would have caught this bogus 'feature' and fixed it a LONG time ago?  I don't care if the phone is 'relatively new' or not.

Message 17 of 36 (6,479 Views)
Teacher

I've opened a support ticket on this problem. It is simply not acceptable, esepcially in an enterprise enviornment.
Message 18 of 36 (5,796 Views)
Teacher

Well, after 7 calls totalling 300 minutes here is what I've found. All csr's were very professional and tried to do their best to solve the problem. The csr's didn't cause the problem. ATT management caused it.

Referred to motorola. Their reply:

They are entered per at&t requirements and are part of the core software. For this reason they cannot be deleted. If they were allowed to be deleted, they wouldn't be restored into the phone upon doing a phone reset. Perhaps you can return the phone and buy an unlocked phone.

Next, I was sent to the corporate store where rep said "All tundras we've sold have been like that."

Finally, today the at&t csr's simply gave up and agreed to waive the re-stock fee so I can return the phone and buy an unlocked phone from Moto.

I suspect that this is an "experiment" that management is trying. If you don't make your thoughts known on this problem, soon all phones will have undeletable contacts.
Message 19 of 36 (5,737 Views)
Tutor

Unlocking the phone still does not allow you to delete or re-name the seven AT&T contacts your va76r Tundra comes with.  They appear to be a function of the AT&T-specific version of the Tundra software.  I am currently attempting both to urge AT&T to come up with a new version of the software that gives the user the ability to add and remove any and all contacts, and to find a non-AT&T version of the software to apply to the phone myself.
Message 20 of 36 (5,664 Views)
Teacher

benlong wrote:
I am currently attempting both to urge AT&T to come up with a new version of the software that gives the user the ability to add and remove any and all contacts, and to find a non-AT&T version of the software to apply to the phone myself.

Good luck with that! I'm cheering you on!!

Message 21 of 36 (6,059 Views)
Professor

GadeTerbob wrote:

benlong wrote:
I am currently attempting both to urge AT&T to come up with a new version of the software that gives the user the ability to add and remove any and all contacts, and to find a non-AT&T version of the software to apply to the phone myself.

Good luck with that! I'm cheering you on!!

I wish you luck!!!
Message 22 of 36 (6,019 Views)
Tutor

Well, it turns out that Motorola has not developed any version of the software except the one they made for AT&T.  Even if you buy this phone unlocked, direct from the manufacturer, it has this horrible gimped AT&T firmware with undeletable junkware and contacts nobody will ever use.

Still following up with Motorola and AT&T.

Message 23 of 36 (6,017 Views)
Teacher

Possible Workaround For This Vexing And Aggravating Problem

I may have found a workaround. This is copied directly from the Tundra's handbook:

Delete a contact
NOTE:  The preloaded contacts for the Motorola Tundra can not be deleted via the device.  An alternate method is to place the SIM in another device, delete the preloaded contacts and place the SIM back in the Motorola Tundra and the preloaded contacts should be deleted. 

Of course, if you have to use the master reset, then those dreaded service numbers will return. I don't have another phone handy but will soon! I'll try this and let you know.

Message 24 of 36 (6,003 Views)
Tutor

Re: Possible Workaround For This Vexing And Aggravating Problem

GadeTerbob wrote:

I may have found a workaround. This is copied directly from the Tundra's handbook:

Delete a contact
NOTE:  The preloaded contacts for the Motorola Tundra can not be deleted via the device.  An alternate method is to place the SIM in another device, delete the preloaded contacts and place the SIM back in the Motorola Tundra and the preloaded contacts should be deleted. 

Of course, if you have to use the master reset, then those dreaded service numbers will return. I don't have another phone handy but will soon! I'll try this and let you know.

Unfortunately that won't work - the contacts are coded as part of the firmware, not stored on the SIM card.  This, among the laundry list of other issues (all caused by AT&T's crappy, restrictive firmware) has led me to use my own unlocked phone, and my va76r is currently serving the very important role of a ruggedized paperweight on my desk.

Message 25 of 36 (5,722 Views)
Professor

Re: Possible Workaround For This Vexing And Aggravating Problem

[ Edited ]

benlong wrote:

GadeTerbob wrote:

Delete a contact

Unfortunately that won't work - the contacts are coded as part of the firmware, not stored on the SIM card.  This, among the laundry list of other issues (all caused by AT&T's crappy, restrictive firmware) has led me to use my own unlocked phone, and my va76r is currently serving the very important role of a ruggedized paperweight on my desk.

A rock would have been cheaper..Smiley Wink
Message Edited by rocky76 on 12-13-2009 06:53:49 AM
Message 26 of 36 (5,641 Views)
Professor

karenoffereins wrote:

enter a number before a real contact name = e.g. 1Brian, and it will display above the AT&T contacts.

The number only works 1-9.............
Message 27 of 36 (5,489 Views)
Contributor

I agree that this is a VERY annoying "feature".  I'm hoping someone from AT&T customer service reads this forum and forwards our feedback to the decision makers, and hopefully their branded product will be a little less obtrusive and obnoxious in the future.

I think a positive compromise would be to have a separate list of AT&T numbers - just having one unerasable number in your contacts list would not be unbearable.

Message 28 of 36 (5,356 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

rocky76 wrote:

karenoffereins wrote:

The number only works 1-9.............

Well, you COULD use a two digit system: 01, 02, etc; however, you can use the same number for ALL the contacts: 1Brian, 1Jeff, etc. That will still list them all above the "A" section. The downfall to this approach is that you can't search directly to a particular contact without typing the number 1 first.

Message 29 of 36 (4,297 Views)
Contributor

I have this same issue.  It is unacceptable that I do not have control over my own contact list.  AT&T please fix this immediatly. AT&T is going to quickly go to the bottom of my list for wireless providers.

Message 30 of 36 (3,231 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.