Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 16, 2009
5:58:06 AM
View profile
Motorola Tundra - Can not Delete contacts
at&t has pre-loaded a full page of entries in the address book that you can not delete.  They all are named AT&T xxxxx so they are always at the top of the list and you have to scroll through a complete page of numbers every time you want to find some on in the address book.  I called customer support and they told me there was no way to delete these.  I'm sure its a hidden code to unlock and delete these.  This is unacceptable that they force you to have numbers in your contacts that you will never use.  Has any one figured out how to delete these entries?
at&t has pre-loaded a full page of entries in the address book that you can not delete.  They all are named AT&T xxxxx so they are always at the top of the list and you have to scroll through a complete page of numbers every time you want to find some on in the address book.  I called customer support and they told me there was no way to delete these.  I'm sure its a hidden code to unlock and delete these.  This is unacceptable that they force you to have numbers in your contacts that you will never use.  Has any one figured out how to delete these entries?

Motorola Tundra - Can not Delete contacts

35 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2009 8:06:20 AM
(0)
Scholar
Can't help you with deleting, but if you are in your phone book, just press the letter of the person's name that you are looking for. It will bring you right to it. Better,faster than scrolling.
Can't help you with deleting, but if you are in your phone book, just press the letter of the person's name that you are looking for. It will bring you right to it. Better,faster than scrolling.

Re: Motorola Tundra - Can not Delete contacts

2 of 36 (13,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2009 2:47:54 PM
(0)
Guru
There may be a seem edit to be able to delete them, but as of yet it is not known since the Tundra is still relatively new.  Also, SEEM editing or Modding in any way voids any warranty you have, so for the most part you have to just kind of deal with them. 
There may be a seem edit to be able to delete them, but as of yet it is not known since the Tundra is still relatively new.  Also, SEEM editing or Modding in any way voids any warranty you have, so for the most part you have to just kind of deal with them. 

3 of 36 (13,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2009 12:52:56 AM
(0)
Teacher

jhjukmail wrote:
 I'm sure its a hidden code to unlock and delete these.
You are probably on to your own answer there.

Might be worth buying or finding the unlock code for the phone then trying to delete them. 

jhjukmail wrote:
 I'm sure its a hidden code to unlock and delete these.
You are probably on to your own answer there.

Might be worth buying or finding the unlock code for the phone then trying to delete them. 

4 of 36 (13,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2009 8:26:36 AM
(0)
Teacher
I just got a Tundra and have the same issue.  Quite frankly, I'm pis_ed that they would do this! They already put enough junk on the phones to begin with and now they forcing us keep these "contacts" that I will NEVER use.
I just got a Tundra and have the same issue.  Quite frankly, I'm pis_ed that they would do this! They already put enough junk on the phones to begin with and now they forcing us keep these "contacts" that I will NEVER use.

5 of 36 (13,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2009 5:16:10 PM
(0)
Mentor
Agree, its ridiculous. I will find a way around it. I paid for it, its my phone now. I should be able to delete as I please. Next time I will buy an unbranded phone if they dont stop forceing themselves on us.
Agree, its ridiculous. I will find a way around it. I paid for it, its my phone now. I should be able to delete as I please. Next time I will buy an unbranded phone if they dont stop forceing themselves on us.

6 of 36 (13,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2009 4:46:19 AM
(0)
Master

nrw wrote:

As Vampredator has said above, if you are familiar with modding or doing seem edits, you can probably remove these contacts from your phone. However, doing so will also void your warranty, so make sure that you really can't just live with them before doing a removal.

nrw wrote:

As Vampredator has said above, if you are familiar with modding or doing seem edits, you can probably remove these contacts from your phone. However, doing so will also void your warranty, so make sure that you really can't just live with them before doing a removal.

7 of 36 (13,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2009 2:59:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
Will the phone allow you to edit the names of those contacts? If it will, you could rename them and add "ZZZ" to the beginning of their names. Then, they would appear at the end of your conact list where you would never notice them.
Will the phone allow you to edit the names of those contacts? If it will, you could rename them and add "ZZZ" to the beginning of their names. Then, they would appear at the end of your conact list where you would never notice them.

8 of 36 (13,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2009 1:24:57 PM
(0)
Teacher
Try creating a new contact list then place all those AT&T contacts into that list, have it separate from your personal contact list. This is a simple work around until we find out how to edit them out of the phone...
Try creating a new contact list then place all those AT&T contacts into that list, have it separate from your personal contact list. This is a simple work around until we find out how to edit them out of the phone...

9 of 36 (13,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2009 6:23:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
Brilliance in simplicity Smiley Wink
Brilliance in simplicity Smiley Wink

10 of 36 (13,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2009 2:59:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello all. Looks like this is an issue w/a lot of co's. As to the contact issue, you can't delete or rename them. Secondly, I tried creating a contact list & dumping them in there but not only are they there in the contact list but also individually. So unless I am doing something wrong, neither method works.

Hello all. Looks like this is an issue w/a lot of co's. As to the contact issue, you can't delete or rename them. Secondly, I tried creating a contact list & dumping them in there but not only are they there in the contact list but also individually. So unless I am doing something wrong, neither method works.

11 of 36 (7,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 12:29:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

I the consumer and many others I see think that its should be the consumers choice to add names and and phone numbers to a phone that we purchased. Also if we so choose we should be able to delete the unwanted ring tones and wallpapers and game demos. An idea is that they should be on the motorola or the carriers website and should be added with free downloads if wanted. I hear the tundra can do firmware upgrades this is a could way ATT could solve this problem and it would be greatly appreciated.

I the consumer and many others I see think that its should be the consumers choice to add names and and phone numbers to a phone that we purchased. Also if we so choose we should be able to delete the unwanted ring tones and wallpapers and game demos. An idea is that they should be on the motorola or the carriers website and should be added with free downloads if wanted. I hear the tundra can do firmware upgrades this is a could way ATT could solve this problem and it would be greatly appreciated.

12 of 36 (7,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 10:15:09 AM
(0)
Professor
It is the consumer's choice to purchase an unlocked device directly from the manufacturer vs. getting a discount on a locked device from a carrier. If you don't like the AT&T-branded phone, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet! Smiley Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
It is the consumer's choice to purchase an unlocked device directly from the manufacturer vs. getting a discount on a locked device from a carrier. If you don't like the AT&T-branded phone, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet! Smiley Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

13 of 36 (7,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 4:11:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

Wow, I didn't know Motorola offered unlocked/unbranded Tundras.  

-Tim 

Wow, I didn't know Motorola offered unlocked/unbranded Tundras.  

-Tim 

14 of 36 (7,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2009 3:28:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

also having the same frustrating problem.  went to the att.com web site, to the contact us page, and called 1-800-331-0500 to report this as a customer complaint and sent email with the same complaint.

and am now trying to decide whether i return the phone or not...

also having the same frustrating problem.  went to the att.com web site, to the contact us page, and called 1-800-331-0500 to report this as a customer complaint and sent email with the same complaint.

and am now trying to decide whether i return the phone or not...

15 of 36 (6,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2009 4:44:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

just found a workaround, kinda.

enter a number before a real contact name = e.g. 1Brian, and it will display above the AT&T contacts.

enter a number before a real contact name = e.g. 1Brian, and it will display above the AT&T contacts.

16 of 36 (6,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 2:51:08 AM
(0)
Contributor

Maybe some would consider this picky, but not being able to get rid of, or AT LEAST simply reorder an entire screenful of useless AT&T advertising is at the very least very irritating. 

'Buy an unbranded phone if you don't like it,' does not seem reasonable to me.

Sure..you can filter the contact list..but from a filtered list selection you cannot DO anything but place a call from that list.  No shortcuts, no camera access, no anything but call from that list.

Seriously (and I'm not even kidding!) wouldn't you think someone would have caught this bogus 'feature' and fixed it a LONG time ago?  I don't care if the phone is 'relatively new' or not.

Maybe some would consider this picky, but not being able to get rid of, or AT LEAST simply reorder an entire screenful of useless AT&T advertising is at the very least very irritating. 

'Buy an unbranded phone if you don't like it,' does not seem reasonable to me.

Sure..you can filter the contact list..but from a filtered list selection you cannot DO anything but place a call from that list.  No shortcuts, no camera access, no anything but call from that list.

Seriously (and I'm not even kidding!) wouldn't you think someone would have caught this bogus 'feature' and fixed it a LONG time ago?  I don't care if the phone is 'relatively new' or not.

17 of 36 (6,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 10:31:22 AM
(0)
Teacher
I've opened a support ticket on this problem. It is simply not acceptable, esepcially in an enterprise enviornment.
I've opened a support ticket on this problem. It is simply not acceptable, esepcially in an enterprise enviornment.

18 of 36 (5,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2009 2:43:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Well, after 7 calls totalling 300 minutes here is what I've found. All csr's were very professional and tried to do their best to solve the problem. The csr's didn't cause the problem. ATT management caused it.

Referred to motorola. Their reply:

They are entered per at&t requirements and are part of the core software. For this reason they cannot be deleted. If they were allowed to be deleted, they wouldn't be restored into the phone upon doing a phone reset. Perhaps you can return the phone and buy an unlocked phone.

Next, I was sent to the corporate store where rep said "All tundras we've sold have been like that."

Finally, today the at&t csr's simply gave up and agreed to waive the re-stock fee so I can return the phone and buy an unlocked phone from Moto.

I suspect that this is an "experiment" that management is trying. If you don't make your thoughts known on this problem, soon all phones will have undeletable contacts.
Well, after 7 calls totalling 300 minutes here is what I've found. All csr's were very professional and tried to do their best to solve the problem. The csr's didn't cause the problem. ATT management caused it.

Referred to motorola. Their reply:

They are entered per at&t requirements and are part of the core software. For this reason they cannot be deleted. If they were allowed to be deleted, they wouldn't be restored into the phone upon doing a phone reset. Perhaps you can return the phone and buy an unlocked phone.

Next, I was sent to the corporate store where rep said "All tundras we've sold have been like that."

Finally, today the at&t csr's simply gave up and agreed to waive the re-stock fee so I can return the phone and buy an unlocked phone from Moto.

I suspect that this is an "experiment" that management is trying. If you don't make your thoughts known on this problem, soon all phones will have undeletable contacts.

19 of 36 (5,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 5:45:48 PM
(0)
Tutor
Unlocking the phone still does not allow you to delete or re-name the seven AT&T contacts your va76r Tundra comes with.  They appear to be a function of the AT&T-specific version of the Tundra software.  I am currently attempting both to urge AT&T to come up with a new version of the software that gives the user the ability to add and remove any and all contacts, and to find a non-AT&T version of the software to apply to the phone myself.
Unlocking the phone still does not allow you to delete or re-name the seven AT&T contacts your va76r Tundra comes with.  They appear to be a function of the AT&T-specific version of the Tundra software.  I am currently attempting both to urge AT&T to come up with a new version of the software that gives the user the ability to add and remove any and all contacts, and to find a non-AT&T version of the software to apply to the phone myself.

20 of 36 (5,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 9:35:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

benlong wrote:
I am currently attempting both to urge AT&T to come up with a new version of the software that gives the user the ability to add and remove any and all contacts, and to find a non-AT&T version of the software to apply to the phone myself.

Good luck with that! I'm cheering you on!!

benlong wrote:
I am currently attempting both to urge AT&T to come up with a new version of the software that gives the user the ability to add and remove any and all contacts, and to find a non-AT&T version of the software to apply to the phone myself.

21 of 36 (5,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2009 6:47:45 AM
(0)
Professor

GadeTerbob wrote:

benlong wrote:

I wish you luck!!!

GadeTerbob wrote:

benlong wrote:

I wish you luck!!!

22 of 36 (5,550 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2009 7:10:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, it turns out that Motorola has not developed any version of the software except the one they made for AT&T.  Even if you buy this phone unlocked, direct from the manufacturer, it has this horrible gimped AT&T firmware with undeletable junkware and contacts nobody will ever use.

Still following up with Motorola and AT&T.

Well, it turns out that Motorola has not developed any version of the software except the one they made for AT&T.  Even if you buy this phone unlocked, direct from the manufacturer, it has this horrible gimped AT&T firmware with undeletable junkware and contacts nobody will ever use.

Still following up with Motorola and AT&T.

23 of 36 (5,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2009 1:17:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

I may have found a workaround. This is copied directly from the Tundra's handbook:

Delete a contact
NOTE:  The preloaded contacts for the Motorola Tundra can not be deleted via the device.  An alternate method is to place the SIM in another device, delete the preloaded contacts and place the SIM back in the Motorola Tundra and the preloaded contacts should be deleted. 

Of course, if you have to use the master reset, then those dreaded service numbers will return. I don't have another phone handy but will soon! I'll try this and let you know.

I may have found a workaround. This is copied directly from the Tundra's handbook:

Delete a contact
NOTE:  The preloaded contacts for the Motorola Tundra can not be deleted via the device.  An alternate method is to place the SIM in another device, delete the preloaded contacts and place the SIM back in the Motorola Tundra and the preloaded contacts should be deleted. 

Of course, if you have to use the master reset, then those dreaded service numbers will return. I don't have another phone handy but will soon! I'll try this and let you know.

Possible Workaround For This Vexing And Aggravating Problem

24 of 36 (5,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2009 8:43:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

GadeTerbob wrote:

Delete a contact

Unfortunately that won't work - the contacts are coded as part of the firmware, not stored on the SIM card.  This, among the laundry list of other issues (all caused by AT&T's crappy, restrictive firmware) has led me to use my own unlocked phone, and my va76r is currently serving the very important role of a ruggedized paperweight on my desk.

GadeTerbob wrote:

Delete a contact

Unfortunately that won't work - the contacts are coded as part of the firmware, not stored on the SIM card.  This, among the laundry list of other issues (all caused by AT&T's crappy, restrictive firmware) has led me to use my own unlocked phone, and my va76r is currently serving the very important role of a ruggedized paperweight on my desk.

Re: Possible Workaround For This Vexing And Aggravating Problem

25 of 36 (5,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2009 6:52:11 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by rocky76 on Dec 13, 2009 at 6:53:49 AM

benlong wrote:

GadeTerbob wrote:

Delete a contact

A rock would have been cheaper..Smiley Wink
Message Edited by rocky76 on 12-13-2009 06:53:49 AM

benlong wrote:

GadeTerbob wrote:

Delete a contact

A rock would have been cheaper..Smiley Wink
Message Edited by rocky76 on 12-13-2009 06:53:49 AM

Re: Possible Workaround For This Vexing And Aggravating Problem

[ Edited ]
26 of 36 (5,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 12:47:54 AM
(0)
Professor

karenoffereins wrote:

The number only works 1-9.............

karenoffereins wrote:

27 of 36 (5,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2009 12:56:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

I agree that this is a VERY annoying "feature".  I'm hoping someone from AT&T customer service reads this forum and forwards our feedback to the decision makers, and hopefully their branded product will be a little less obtrusive and obnoxious in the future.

I think a positive compromise would be to have a separate list of AT&T numbers - just having one unerasable number in your contacts list would not be unbearable.

I agree that this is a VERY annoying "feature".  I'm hoping someone from AT&T customer service reads this forum and forwards our feedback to the decision makers, and hopefully their branded product will be a little less obtrusive and obnoxious in the future.

I think a positive compromise would be to have a separate list of AT&T numbers - just having one unerasable number in your contacts list would not be unbearable.

28 of 36 (4,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2010 7:38:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

rocky76 wrote:

karenoffereins wrote:

Well, you COULD use a two digit system: 01, 02, etc; however, you can use the same number for ALL the contacts: 1Brian, 1Jeff, etc. That will still list them all above the "A" section. The downfall to this approach is that you can't search directly to a particular contact without typing the number 1 first.

rocky76 wrote:

karenoffereins wrote:

Well, you COULD use a two digit system: 01, 02, etc; however, you can use the same number for ALL the contacts: 1Brian, 1Jeff, etc. That will still list them all above the "A" section. The downfall to this approach is that you can't search directly to a particular contact without typing the number 1 first.

29 of 36 (3,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2010 3:04:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have this same issue.  It is unacceptable that I do not have control over my own contact list.  AT&T please fix this immediatly. AT&T is going to quickly go to the bottom of my list for wireless providers.

I have this same issue.  It is unacceptable that I do not have control over my own contact list.  AT&T please fix this immediatly. AT&T is going to quickly go to the bottom of my list for wireless providers.

30 of 36 (2,762 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments