Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 6, 2011
4:54:22 PM
View profile
Motorola Flipside
Edited by randumb on Jun 6, 2011 at 4:54:42 PM

I just upgraded to this phone yesterday.  I didn't research it at all.  I'm not used to it.  I have many questions about this phone.

First I had someone put on three apps Advanced Task Killer, Antivirus, and Lookout.  I noticed it won't update Social Networking.  Can't send response.  Data services unavailable.  So now I have to go to the browser which is a lot more steps than just easily liking something. 

How do I transfer my sim contacts to the actual phone?

How do I transfer my previous pictures from a previous SD card to the phone?

With my contacts is there a way that my online contacts won't merge with my address book?

Is there a way for me to put a password so other people won't try to go through my private stuff?

That should be all the questions for now.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated.  I am seriously lost with this android. 

I just upgraded to this phone yesterday.  I didn't research it at all.  I'm not used to it.  I have many questions about this phone.

First I had someone put on three apps Advanced Task Killer, Antivirus, and Lookout.  I noticed it won't update Social Networking.  Can't send response.  Data services unavailable.  So now I have to go to the browser which is a lot more steps than just easily liking something. 

How do I transfer my sim contacts to the actual phone?

How do I transfer my previous pictures from a previous SD card to the phone?

With my contacts is there a way that my online contacts won't merge with my address book?

Is there a way for me to put a password so other people won't try to go through my private stuff?

That should be all the questions for now.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated.  I am seriously lost with this android. 

Motorola Flipside

[ Edited ]
9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2011 6:39:34 PM
(0)
Master

randumb wrote:

First I had someone put on three apps Advanced Task Killer UNINSTALL that app right now.  You don't need it!!!!  If you want task manager use System Panel https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel&feature=search_result, Antivirus, and Lookout Both of these are an antivirus application.  Uninstall one of them.  you don't need both.  I noticed it won't update Social Networking.  Can't send response.  Data services unavailable.  Do you have the 3G symbol with the up/down arrows or a connected wifi symbol at the top of the phone's screen.  You need to have an active data connection to send data.  You also need to have your account (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) logged into the phone or the dedicated app.  So now I have to go to the browser which is a lot more steps than just easily liking something. 

How do I transfer my sim contacts to the actual phone?   Open the contacts app and press the menu option and see if there are options to export the contacts from the SIM card to the SD card and then import the contacts from the SD card to the phone.  You might also want the consider exporting the contacts from the SIM card and importing them into the Google account you needed to use the Google apps. 

How do I transfer my previous pictures from a previous SD card to the phone?  I would copy the picture from the old sd card to a folder on a computer.  Then connect the phone to the computer as disk USB drive and copy the pictures to a folder on the new external drive (the phone's sd card).  Or if your computer has a card reader, shut down the phone and take the sd card out of the phone.  Then put the sd card in the card reader and copy the file that way.

With my contacts is there a way that my online contacts won't merge with my address book?  In the Contacts app again, press the menu button and see if the are any view options to filter which contacts are viewable on the phone.

Is there a way for me to put a password so other people won't try to go through my private stuff?  Press the menu button > settings > sercurity > screen lock (not sure what options you have)  You should have at least a pattern lock option.

This is the full user guide.  This has more information than the Get Started Guide included with your phone.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy

randumb wrote:

First I had someone put on three apps Advanced Task Killer UNINSTALL that app right now.  You don't need it!!!!  If you want task manager use System Panel https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel&feature=search_result, Antivirus, and Lookout Both of these are an antivirus application.  Uninstall one of them.  you don't need both.  I noticed it won't update Social Networking.  Can't send response.  Data services unavailable.  Do you have the 3G symbol with the up/down arrows or a connected wifi symbol at the top of the phone's screen.  You need to have an active data connection to send data.  You also need to have your account (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) logged into the phone or the dedicated app.  So now I have to go to the browser which is a lot more steps than just easily liking something. 

How do I transfer my sim contacts to the actual phone?   Open the contacts app and press the menu option and see if there are options to export the contacts from the SIM card to the SD card and then import the contacts from the SD card to the phone.  You might also want the consider exporting the contacts from the SIM card and importing them into the Google account you needed to use the Google apps. 

How do I transfer my previous pictures from a previous SD card to the phone?  I would copy the picture from the old sd card to a folder on a computer.  Then connect the phone to the computer as disk USB drive and copy the pictures to a folder on the new external drive (the phone's sd card).  Or if your computer has a card reader, shut down the phone and take the sd card out of the phone.  Then put the sd card in the card reader and copy the file that way.

With my contacts is there a way that my online contacts won't merge with my address book?  In the Contacts app again, press the menu button and see if the are any view options to filter which contacts are viewable on the phone.

Is there a way for me to put a password so other people won't try to go through my private stuff?  Press the menu button > settings > sercurity > screen lock (not sure what options you have)  You should have at least a pattern lock option.

This is the full user guide.  This has more information than the Get Started Guide included with your phone.

Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: Motorola Flipside

2 of 10 (654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2011 8:48:26 PM
(0)
Master
You can also learn about the android OS through this website and others like it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/
You can also learn about the android OS through this website and others like it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/

3 of 10 (647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 10:06:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

In answer to a few of your questions I had a Motorola Flipside for about a month until I learned of the following shortcomings:

How do I transfer my previous pictures from a previous SD card to the phone? You can't until the phone is upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2 which according to everything that I read at the Motorola site isn't going to happen. The phone is advertised as to have a SD Card Slot but it is useless without the Android 2.2 Froyo upgrade!

Is there a way for me to put a password so other people won't try to go through my private stuff? I now use an inexpensive password app from the Market called SplashID Safe which also will synch with your computer if you also buy the program for the computer.

I became so frustrated with the Flipside that only holds approx 1/2GB of internal memory that I turned it back in and bought the Motorola Atrix 4G that has 16GB of Internal memory plus a SD Slot that works with up to 32GB of memory which brought my phone up to 48GBs of memory.

Note that the Motorola Atrix4G can be bought from Costco for $129 vs from the AT&T Store for $199.

Good luck!!

Jim

In answer to a few of your questions I had a Motorola Flipside for about a month until I learned of the following shortcomings:

How do I transfer my previous pictures from a previous SD card to the phone? You can't until the phone is upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2 which according to everything that I read at the Motorola site isn't going to happen. The phone is advertised as to have a SD Card Slot but it is useless without the Android 2.2 Froyo upgrade!

Is there a way for me to put a password so other people won't try to go through my private stuff? I now use an inexpensive password app from the Market called SplashID Safe which also will synch with your computer if you also buy the program for the computer.

I became so frustrated with the Flipside that only holds approx 1/2GB of internal memory that I turned it back in and bought the Motorola Atrix 4G that has 16GB of Internal memory plus a SD Slot that works with up to 32GB of memory which brought my phone up to 48GBs of memory.

Note that the Motorola Atrix4G can be bought from Costco for $129 vs from the AT&T Store for $199.

Good luck!!

Jim

4 of 10 (632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 8:39:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by randumb on Jun 7, 2011 at 8:45:01 PM

I noticed with the 3g I hardly get any good service like I did with my previous phone.  I think one of those three apps are interfering with Social Networking.  I haven't had any status updates to my phone since last night.  Advanced Task Killer I guess costed $5.  So I would just be waisting money. I have the Gmail App. 

I noticed with the 3g I hardly get any good service like I did with my previous phone.  I think one of those three apps are interfering with Social Networking.  I haven't had any status updates to my phone since last night.  Advanced Task Killer I guess costed $5.  So I would just be waisting money. I have the Gmail App. 

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2011 2:56:45 AM
(0)
Master
Okay since you paid money for the ATK, let's change the settings for the application and allow you to get some usefulness out of it. Open it up and change the settings so no applications are set to be automatically killed by the application. That is the problem with ATK. It will stop programs that should remain in the background, for example the social networking. This will then cause the Android OS to restart the processes again. Draining the battery and creating a vicious cycle. ATK will kill, android restart, ATK kills again, android restarts, etc.

Once you have set ATK to not automatically stop application, you can use to check on applications when you think the phone is acting unresponsive and allowing you to stop a rogue application as needed. In other words, you tell the application to stop one and only one application at that moment in time. You also need to be careful not to stop internal system processes.

It is article to help explain the why of not using ATK. http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/02/revisiting-android-task-killers-and-why-you-dont-need-one/

The gmail app is setup to automatically add your gmail contacts to the phone. There is a setting in some phones either in the gmail app or the Contacts application to hide or not save the auto gmail contacts. I usually let the phone save them and let those contacts be viewed in the contacts application.
Okay since you paid money for the ATK, let's change the settings for the application and allow you to get some usefulness out of it. Open it up and change the settings so no applications are set to be automatically killed by the application. That is the problem with ATK. It will stop programs that should remain in the background, for example the social networking. This will then cause the Android OS to restart the processes again. Draining the battery and creating a vicious cycle. ATK will kill, android restart, ATK kills again, android restarts, etc.

Once you have set ATK to not automatically stop application, you can use to check on applications when you think the phone is acting unresponsive and allowing you to stop a rogue application as needed. In other words, you tell the application to stop one and only one application at that moment in time. You also need to be careful not to stop internal system processes.

It is article to help explain the why of not using ATK. http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/02/revisiting-android-task-killers-and-why-you-dont-need-one/

The gmail app is setup to automatically add your gmail contacts to the phone. There is a setting in some phones either in the gmail app or the Contacts application to hide or not save the auto gmail contacts. I usually let the phone save them and let those contacts be viewed in the contacts application.

6 of 10 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 12:35:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

Autokill is disabled.  All the boxes are already unchecked.  I once turned off the app and I was still not getting any updates.  Its been since Monday since I have seen a status update on my home screen. 

I would like my sim contacts to be stored elsewhere also just in case something happens to the sim and I loose all phone numbers. 

Thanks for all the help.  I got mostly everything figured out, but this whole Social Networking updates thing working. 

Autokill is disabled.  All the boxes are already unchecked.  I once turned off the app and I was still not getting any updates.  Its been since Monday since I have seen a status update on my home screen. 

I would like my sim contacts to be stored elsewhere also just in case something happens to the sim and I loose all phone numbers. 

Thanks for all the help.  I got mostly everything figured out, but this whole Social Networking updates thing working. 

7 of 10 (592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 3:44:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

Last night my phone died so I charged it.  It was getting hot.  I woke up in the middle of the night and noticed it still wasn't fully charged.  Two notifications Low Space in internal storage and something doing with space where I had to uninstall Words with Friends and Translate to make space.  When I get up this morning it stil isn't fully charged.  So I turn it off and let it charge with the USB cable.  I turn it back on the two notifications disappear?  It says I have 30some MB left for internal space.  I don't know what happened and to prevent this. 

Last night my phone died so I charged it.  It was getting hot.  I woke up in the middle of the night and noticed it still wasn't fully charged.  Two notifications Low Space in internal storage and something doing with space where I had to uninstall Words with Friends and Translate to make space.  When I get up this morning it stil isn't fully charged.  So I turn it off and let it charge with the USB cable.  I turn it back on the two notifications disappear?  It says I have 30some MB left for internal space.  I don't know what happened and to prevent this. 

8 of 10 (582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 8:27:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

Does anyone know what that object on the front facing portion of the phone that looks like a camera is?  I thought the phone had a front facing camera but I have learned via ATT and Motorola support that it does not. the instruction manual doesnt say what that is but you can see it in the picture on page 3 somewhat unclearly.  I have ordered screen covers that claim to have cutouts for the front facing camera that does not exist. Very strange. Seems like they put it there but decided not to enable it.  Interested in others opinions on this topic.

Does anyone know what that object on the front facing portion of the phone that looks like a camera is?  I thought the phone had a front facing camera but I have learned via ATT and Motorola support that it does not. the instruction manual doesnt say what that is but you can see it in the picture on page 3 somewhat unclearly.  I have ordered screen covers that claim to have cutouts for the front facing camera that does not exist. Very strange. Seems like they put it there but decided not to enable it.  Interested in others opinions on this topic.

9 of 10 (572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 10:44:21 PM
(0)
Master
It is the proximity light sensor. So it knows when to turn off the screen whenever you have the phone next to your ear.
It is the proximity light sensor. So it knows when to turn off the screen whenever you have the phone next to your ear.

10 of 10 (566 Views)