Motorola FlipSide Android 2.2?

Contributor

Motorola FlipSide Android 2.2?

What are the chances that the Motorola FlipSide will get Android 2.2?

Message 1 of 10 (8,119 Views)
Scholar

Re: Motorola FlipSide Android 2.2?

I doubt you will get any official response.  My advice is that if you *really* want Android 2.2, you should wait to see if it released for FlipSide.  I just don't trust AT&T in terms of updates.  And that's IF Motorola even plans to update it at all.

Message 2 of 10 (8,054 Views)
Contributor

Hmmm I hope it's soon. So I can exchange my phone in for another phone. I like the FlipSide but the inablity to install apps onto the SD is killing me.

Message 3 of 10 (8,027 Views)

[ Edited ]

AT&T is slow with updates...

Message 4 of 10 (7,924 Views)
Teacher

Boy, I'm so glad to finally see someone else saying that.  Since I bought mine, I've had "out of memory" errors after loading all of 30mb of other apps.  And the prevailing answers that I've seen doing searches have all been of either the "I've loaded 600mb of programs with no problem..." or "I cleared my caches and I'm good"...

I end up having to reboot my phone daily - it seems that overnight something runs that identifies the lack of memory....but I sure can't tell what it is.  I've got most of the usual junk set to auto-end, and I manually check/end tasks throughout the day.  I know that other than the free load of "Angry Birds" (at all of about 14mb), I have 3 much smaller games and a note editor.  That's it, folks...

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated for me, too....

Mac

Message 5 of 10 (6,499 Views)
Scholar

I would keep an eye on this chart on the Motorola Forums site:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades: https://supportforums.motorol...

It's the only official thread that will keep you updated when they announce update time-lines/decisions.

Message 6 of 10 (6,321 Views)
Teacher

das8nt wrote:

I would keep an eye on this chart on the Motorola Forums site:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades: https://supportforums.motorol...

It's the only official thread that will keep you updated when they announce update time-lines/decisions.

Unfortunately, they don't list the Flipside at all....but they do list the Flipout, and state that it will remain on 2.1.  Since these phones were released pretty much as a pair, I am going to have to assume that they don't intend to upgrade the Flipside, either.Smiley Mad

Message 7 of 10 (6,259 Views)
Scholar

jjmcclos wrote:
 Unfortunately, they don't list the Flipside at all....but they do list the Flipout, and state that it will remain on 2.1.  Since these phones were released pretty much as a pair, I am going to have to assume that they don't intend to upgrade the Flipside, either.Smiley Mad

I don't know if I would assume that. I could end up being wrong, but the Bravo and Flipside were released with better capabilities than the Flipout. I would assume they are currently in testing to determine if they will function properly with 2.2 since so much of the way the OS operates changed in 2.2. I'm betting the chance is good that they will see the update, but they won't release an announcement until they are sure because of the backlash they get from releasing inaccurate time-lines/promises.

Message 8 of 10 (6,136 Views)
Teacher

Personally, I doubt that we will ever see an update to Android 2.2 for any of the "Flip" family of phones.  Reason being, these are pretty much the Motorola/ATT "Toss-aways"....ie, phones that they pretty much give away after about 3-6months in the market.  These are NOT the New phones, even when they really were new, and were not intended as any kind of "cutting-edge" systems.  Given what I see right now on the upgrade site at Motorola,  I suspect that these phones are a "one O/S" type that are fulfilling the general public's needs as far as both ATT and Motorola are concerned....

Frankly, it irks me that they load up the whole "Motoblur" and extra ATT "junk" on the things, but I guess that the kickbacks are worth it.  But even more annoying - for someone like me with arthritis, using real keys is a big plus if I need to send emails.  I don't use texting or social c r a p, and no apps that I can find really use the "touch pad", so a slider phone like the flipside but with about a 3.7" screen would be ideal.  IF it has USABLE memory...which I'll never see on an upgrade to this one, I imagine.

As far as I'm concerned, given my time with the Flipside - I do like it overall, but feel that anything with less than Android 2.2 is really a "feature phone"...and they've got NO right to charge any data plans to the things.  I'm probably gonna drop both ATT and Motorola from future lists now, given this level of support, once the data plan is up on this one.  And gonna shop around a lot more to replace my wife's in 3-4 months when we know our future situation a bit better.

Mac - (a previously loyal, but now disgruntled, customer).

Message 9 of 10 (5,680 Views)
Mentor

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/423742

Might be of interest to you.
Mark
Mark
Motorola Employee
Motorola's Forums
Message 10 of 10 (2,859 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.