Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 15, 2011
2:48:27 PM
Motorola C139 SIM card in an LG Thrive?

I have been a Gophone customer since Cingular, and have the Motorola C139. I would like to purchase the LG Thrive from Amazon, and plug the SIM card from my C139 into the Thrive. I've accumulated nearly $400 of credit on my current account, because I don't use the phone a whole lot. Will this SIM card work in the Thrive? Will I be able to access the web and all that? Will I be able to switch my current plan which is the $1/day activation (on days calls are made or received) and 10 cents a minute, to AT&T's 10 cents a minute go phone plan, and just buy a data package? Can I choose how my balance is distributed amongst voice and data?

I have been a Gophone customer since Cingular, and have the Motorola C139. I would like to purchase the LG Thrive from Amazon, and plug the SIM card from my C139 into the Thrive. I've accumulated nearly $400 of credit on my current account, because I don't use the phone a whole lot. Will this SIM card work in the Thrive? Will I be able to access the web and all that? Will I be able to switch my current plan which is the $1/day activation (on days calls are made or received) and 10 cents a minute, to AT&T's 10 cents a minute go phone plan, and just buy a data package? Can I choose how my balance is distributed amongst voice and data?

Motorola C139 SIM card in an LG Thrive?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2011 6:26:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Nihilistic1 wrote:

You can purchase an LG Thrive from amazon and just move your existing prepaid SIM to it - everything should function just fine unless your SIM is very old.  (In that case, a trip to the at&t store for a replacement SIM will do the trick and should be free of charge.  Just be certain they provision a new SIM with your existing account information/phone number if it comes to that.)

You can add a data package to your existing voice plan or choose a different plan - and with the Thrive, you will likely be forced to do so since at&t has recently eliminated PPU data for smartphones.  (You aren't required to add a data plan, but if you want to use cellular data with a smartphone you do have to purchase one of the add-on plans.)   Think carefully before you switch voice plans as if you do so, you can no longer return to the $1/day with free MTM plan - if most of the calls you do make are to other at&t customers, you may be better off remaining on the older voice plan.  And on this plan, SMS does not elicit the daily charge so it can be a good way to communicate with just a messaging package.  (With the newer $2/day plan, unlimited messaging is included but it also initiates the daily fee.)

You don't actually select "how" your balance is distributed between voice and data in advance; effectively you do this via your usage and/or your purchases of the feature and voice packages.  It is all just "money" until you spend it for a monthly feature or voice package and/or use it for the daily/pay per use charges.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Nihilistic1 wrote:

You can purchase an LG Thrive from amazon and just move your existing prepaid SIM to it - everything should function just fine unless your SIM is very old.  (In that case, a trip to the at&t store for a replacement SIM will do the trick and should be free of charge.  Just be certain they provision a new SIM with your existing account information/phone number if it comes to that.)

You can add a data package to your existing voice plan or choose a different plan - and with the Thrive, you will likely be forced to do so since at&t has recently eliminated PPU data for smartphones.  (You aren't required to add a data plan, but if you want to use cellular data with a smartphone you do have to purchase one of the add-on plans.)   Think carefully before you switch voice plans as if you do so, you can no longer return to the $1/day with free MTM plan - if most of the calls you do make are to other at&t customers, you may be better off remaining on the older voice plan.  And on this plan, SMS does not elicit the daily charge so it can be a good way to communicate with just a messaging package.  (With the newer $2/day plan, unlimited messaging is included but it also initiates the daily fee.)

You don't actually select "how" your balance is distributed between voice and data in advance; effectively you do this via your usage and/or your purchases of the feature and voice packages.  It is all just "money" until you spend it for a monthly feature or voice package and/or use it for the daily/pay per use charges.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Motorola C139 SIM card in an LG Thrive?

2 of 3 (498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2011 10:16:23 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:18:16 AM

Nihilistic1 wrote:

Additionally, the LG Thrive wifi feature can use wifi hotspots and your home wifi too.

Nihilistic1 wrote:

Additionally, the LG Thrive wifi feature can use wifi hotspots and your home wifi too.

Re: Motorola C139 SIM card in an LG Thrive?

[ Edited ]
3 of 3 (495 Views)