Motorola C139 SIM card in an LG Thrive?

Teacher

Motorola C139 SIM card in an LG Thrive?

I have been a Gophone customer since Cingular, and have the Motorola C139. I would like to purchase the LG Thrive from Amazon, and plug the SIM card from my C139 into the Thrive. I've accumulated nearly $400 of credit on my current account, because I don't use the phone a whole lot. Will this SIM card work in the Thrive? Will I be able to access the web and all that? Will I be able to switch my current plan which is the $1/day activation (on days calls are made or received) and 10 cents a minute, to AT&T's 10 cents a minute go phone plan, and just buy a data package? Can I choose how my balance is distributed amongst voice and data?

Message 1 of 3
Master

Re: Motorola C139 SIM card in an LG Thrive?

Nihilistic1 wrote:

I have been a Gophone customer since Cingular, and have the Motorola C139. I would like to purchase the LG Thrive from Amazon, and plug the SIM card from my C139 into the Thrive. I've accumulated nearly $400 of credit on my current account, because I don't use the phone a whole lot. Will this SIM card work in the Thrive? Will I be able to access the web and all that? Will I be able to switch my current plan which is the $1/day activation (on days calls are made or received) and 10 cents a minute, to AT&T's 10 cents a minute go phone plan, and just buy a data package? Can I choose how my balance is distributed amongst voice and data?

You can purchase an LG Thrive from amazon and just move your existing prepaid SIM to it - everything should function just fine unless your SIM is very old.  (In that case, a trip to the at&t store for a replacement SIM will do the trick and should be free of charge.  Just be certain they provision a new SIM with your existing account information/phone number if it comes to that.)

You can add a data package to your existing voice plan or choose a different plan - and with the Thrive, you will likely be forced to do so since at&t has recently eliminated PPU data for smartphones.  (You aren't required to add a data plan, but if you want to use cellular data with a smartphone you do have to purchase one of the add-on plans.)   Think carefully before you switch voice plans as if you do so, you can no longer return to the $1/day with free MTM plan - if most of the calls you do make are to other at&t customers, you may be better off remaining on the older voice plan.  And on this plan, SMS does not elicit the daily charge so it can be a good way to communicate with just a messaging package.  (With the newer $2/day plan, unlimited messaging is included but it also initiates the daily fee.)

You don't actually select "how" your balance is distributed between voice and data in advance; effectively you do this via your usage and/or your purchases of the feature and voice packages.  It is all just "money" until you spend it for a monthly feature or voice package and/or use it for the daily/pay per use charges.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 3
Professor

Re: Motorola C139 SIM card in an LG Thrive?

Nihilistic1 wrote:

Additionally, the LG Thrive wifi feature can use wifi hotspots and your home wifi too.

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support