Motorola Backflip: Suggestions for the features in android 2.X upgrade

Mentor

Motorola Backflip: Suggestions for the features in android 2.X upgrade

Based on the numerous replies on the similar thread at the Motorola support forum, I am starting the discussion here. I will enter some of the most important suggestions that show up repeatedly but feel free to add so we can let at&t know what we as users/potential users would like to see in the upgrade scheduled for Q3 of this year. 

1. Option to choose the provider for the search widget

2. Option to install off-market apps

3. Option to remove the pre-installed apps

4. Improve the battery life

5. Option to force Edge over 3G (this is actually beneficial for the at&t to prevent overloading the network and option is already available but has been removed on purpose by at&t)

6. Make sure that google maps navigation is not disabled/blocked

7. Message indicating that the charger is not providing the appropriate power

8. Improving the dialer (maybe using the stock android dialer) to be able to limit the number of calls in a log and more control over the logs overall

9. Enable Multitouch

There was more, but I want to let other people add or echo some of the things on this list. Please do so so we could let at&t that we really want these things.

Message 1 of 25 (3,446 Views)
Contributor

Re: Motorola Backflip: Suggestions for the features in android 2.X upgrade

The 3 lower buttons are too bright, they need to have a dimmer, or ability to turn light off completely. 

Message 2 of 25 (3,397 Views)
Contributor

I agree with most of these:

This would be awesome! I could finally use the built in search! (this is annoying, AT&T)

There are work arounds for this, and I'm fine with that

I would love to have this as an option!

This really doesn't concern me. I would rather be able to uninstall the pre-installed apps (I think it would solve this problem).

5. Option to force Edge over 3G (this is actually beneficial for the at&t to prevent overloading the network and option is already available but has been removed on purpose by at&t)

Other than battery life, I don't know why someone would do this.

Have they said anything about doing this? Obviously if they did this, I would be furious!

The only time I've ever seen this is when I try to charge my phone using a cheap cable I got online. This seems more of a fringe case.

8. Improving the dialer (maybe using the stock android dialer) to be able to limit the number of calls in a log and more control over the logs overall

I really have no issues with the dialer

9. Enable Multitouch

YES! This would be awesome!

Above anything else, I think the biggest thing AT&T could add to the backflip is the ability to root it. Once that happens, all these features could be handled by the community without any action on AT&T's part.

Message 3 of 25 (3,380 Views)
Mentor

Other than battery life, I don't know why someone would do this.

This is definitely in order to improve the battery life. When a user needs to use the internet they could switch back to the 3G. However, when the 3G is on, the phone prefers weak 3G over strong Edge and drains battery faster as the battery gets drained faster when the signal is weaker.

Message 4 of 25 (3,377 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Backflip runs Android, which is supposed to be an open platform. Regrettably, AT&T and Motorola have decided to lock it down so that it is no longer open. I almost left AT&T and went to T-Mobile due to the Backflip, not a truly open Android phone, being the only Android phone being offered by AT&T. However, as luck would have it, I was able to purchase an unlocked HTC Dream ( Google G1 ) and use it on the AT&T network. Had this not been the case, I would now be a T-Mobile customer.

Here are the major grievances that I have with the Backflip ( I will NEVER purchase a Backflip until these are resolved ):

• Yahoo as the only choice of search engine. This is absolutely unacceptable! We are all adults. We SHOULD be able to choose any search engine that we want. Google has 65% of the search engine market for a reason, they are the best. I should not be forced to use an inferior product.
  • Being forced to use apps only from the market place. Again, I am an adult and I purchased the phone. It is my property. No one should be able to dictate what software I can run on it.

AT&T should listen to its customers and develop relationships with them. There should be no dictating that this is the way things MUST be. It should be a dialog. When AT&T customers are starting Facebook pages title "Please Unlock the Backflip" or words to that effect it is a sign of two things:

1. AT&T is NOT listening to its customers.
  2. Soon, those customers will start looking at other alternatives ( T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon all offer truly open Android phones ).

AT&T and Motorola are both great companies. I have been very happy with all aspects of my AT&T service with the exception of the pathetic Android offering. I'm forced to use another company's phone at much slower EDGE network speeds because there are no acceptable Android phones offered by AT&T. I hope that AT&T and Motorola listen to what the customers are saying and make the Backflip a more open platform. They also need to bring a lot more Android phones to market, truly open Android phones.

I only summarized my perceived deficiencies of the Backflip here. I wrote a much more in-depth analysis of the Backflip here: The BackFlip Blues: When Open Source Gets Locked Down

This was a great idea starting this thread. AT&T, prove that you are the great company that we all know you have the potential to be by LISTENING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS AND ACTING ON THEIR WISHES.

Message 5 of 25 (3,367 Views)
Contributor

I have no problem with pre-installed apps, it's the added monthly fee to use those apps.

I would like to be able to download mp3s from Amazon using the Amazon downloader.

I would like to be able to install a purchased app in the event that when said app is updated, it has issues.

I will NOT pay to use MusicID.

Message 6 of 25 (3,330 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an sbcglobal.net email address.  The folders I have set up in  my email over the years are very important to my daily functions.  I am unable to access them or filter out spam when checking email.  I would appreciate the ability to sort my mail. Also I would appreciate being able to view groups of friends on the social networking sites.  I have over 4000 gaming friends and now they are either ALL on my phone or NONE on my phone.  

Oh, yes, I love being able to open pdf's and such, I would like the control for opening pics from text messaging and forwarding them.

While I am asking, I would appreciate a friendly interface for usb charging from the pc.  I have 2 recently upgraded and used daily computers at work and neither of them can charge my phone.  This would not be a big deal but my stereo bluetooth is found in an instant every time.

The other suggestions here have been swell.  

Message 7 of 25 (3,302 Views)
Mentor

I would like:

The ability to mark contacts as private when creating them on the phone. This setting would mean that they do not sync with any internet server (motoblur, gmail, etc.).

The ability to create a group for private contacts. (If you put a  contact in this group it does not sync to the internet)

The ability to completely delete the information stored under History in the Contacts app.

The ability to turn off the creation of History under the contacts app. (there are recent and frequent call logs under the dialer, why waste space storing info if the user doesn't want it stored?)

The ability to limit the recent call log to X number of entries or by time frame.

The ability to turn off the frequent call log.

The ability to specify which search engine is used by default.

The ability to install non-market apps. If we can't install non-market apps it makes it difficult to be a beta tester for a developer.

The ability to set the number of screens and for the screens to swipe through, in other words (in a five screen setup) when you reach screen 5 swiping will take you to screen 4 or to screen 1 (depending on which way you swipe).

Voice dialing over bluetooth.

For the calendar agenda view to have a setting for the number of days in the future it shows. It currently show events to the end of the current month which is useless if you are in the last few days of the month.

For there to be a setting for the calendar to display birthdays and anniversaries from your contact list.

Installation of apps to the SD card.

A clear way to mark folders for exclusion from the picture gallery and music player.

Message 8 of 25 (3,292 Views)
Tutor

Simply put it needs to sync with Google contacts correctly.

If I attach a picture to a contact it needs to be uploaded to Google, not Motororola. If I add a phone number it should not be erased, it should be added to my Google contacts. If I make a contact a favorite it should be added to favorites. If I tag a contact with family in Google there should be a family group on my phone.

I don't have time to double check on my phone to see if it actually remembered to save my new photos and phone numbers correctly.

Message 9 of 25 (3,279 Views)
Contributor

dgrbovic wrote:

Based on the numerous replies on the similar thread at the Motorola support forum, I am starting the discussion here. I will enter some of the most important suggestions that show up repeatedly but feel free to add so we can let at&t know what we as users/potential users would like to see in the upgrade scheduled for Q3 of this year. 

9. Enable Multitouch

There was more, but I want to let other people add or echo some of the things on this list. Please do so so we could let at&t that we really want these things.

All the above have my vote.  Shame on ATT for not including many of these to begin with

Message 10 of 25 (3,241 Views)
Contributor

1. Ability to remove AT&T bloatware.

2. Improved Battery Life

*3.* Ability to disable the backlight on the android buttons!!!

All other android phones i have seen do not have this problem. The backlight on the touch keys goes out after like 5 seconds of standby. With this phone, they are ALWAYS on! And the keys are already painted with a bright white, so i don't need any more! Plus, at night, if i am watching a video or just using the phone, I turn down the display brightness to almost zero, and the keys are still at 100%, and it's REALLY annoying. And it's pretty easy to remember where each one is, and what they do. PLLLLLEEAASSSEE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Basically: the ability to disable the backlight of the android hot keys. It's just unnecessary, and way too bright.

4. Ability to COMPLETELY disable happening, news, etc. Even if I take these widgets off the homescreen, they still fetch data like every 10 mins, and that's probably why my battery is terrible. I would just take off my twitter and fb accounts, but I like the status update widget.

5. Edge option

Please Fix these things, AT&T (especially #3,) or you might loose another $100+ a month.

Message 11 of 25 (2,160 Views)
Contributor

Here, here! Letting us have the latest version of Android isn't even going to cost you anything! My bill runs $200+, and I'm really frustrated that my phone is so limited! And it's not even about the things I can't have - it's the things I'm stuck with, like having to deal with 2,000+ contacts because I can't select which Google Contacts group to sync with.

Message 12 of 25 (2,157 Views)
Tutor

I'll agree with just about all the comments above.  In addition, Android 2.2 has a hotspot option.  Keep the option and give REASONABLE rates on it, unlike the current tethering charges which are added on top of an "unlimited" data account.

Especially an option to get rid of the "crap-ware", especially those that charge me if they get clicked!!

Message 13 of 25 (2,156 Views)
Tutor

I understand that allowing user customization comes with greater support costs. I suspect though that most of us here wouldn't call support with a problem. We would Google for a solution.

Work with Motorola to create an app that could be installed by advanced users to give us further options like turning off Moto-Blur and reverting the phone to its original open Android character.

Message 14 of 25 (2,120 Views)
Mentor

+1 Tethering

+1 control over bloatware

Message 15 of 25 (2,093 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.