Motorola Backflip: Suggestions for the features in android 2.X upgrade

Mentor

Motorola Backflip: Suggestions for the features in android 2.X upgrade

Based on the numerous replies on the similar thread at the Motorola support forum, I am starting the discussion here. I will enter some of the most important suggestions that show up repeatedly but feel free to add so we can let at&t know what we as users/potential users would like to see in the upgrade scheduled for Q3 of this year. 

1. Option to choose the provider for the search widget

2. Option to install off-market apps

3. Option to remove the pre-installed apps

4. Improve the battery life

5. Option to force Edge over 3G (this is actually beneficial for the at&t to prevent overloading the network and option is already available but has been removed on purpose by at&t)

6. Make sure that google maps navigation is not disabled/blocked

7. Message indicating that the charger is not providing the appropriate power

8. Improving the dialer (maybe using the stock android dialer) to be able to limit the number of calls in a log and more control over the logs overall

9. Enable Multitouch

There was more, but I want to let other people add or echo some of the things on this list. Please do so so we could let at&t that we really want these things.

Message 1 of 25 (3,447 Views)
Contributor

Re: Motorola Backflip: Suggestions for the features in android 2.X upgrade

Hi AT&T I would Like to Start with get rid of YAHOO! as the default search bar and please put google back in its rightful place.

Second Please Give me the ability to remove the BLOATWARE like AT&T NAVIGATION OR ALL SPORT GPS programs I will NEVER use. I would like to remove them because I feel it makes my phone look dirty and it slows it down a ton and I would like a phone that is fast and reliable and with the BLOATWARE it does exactly what the name says BLOATS the phone and makes it SLUGGISH and annoying.

Third Please remove restrictions on downloading things from a third party because for developers not being able to test my software and having to use other means to get my software on the phone gets a little annoying when you compile the project twenty times.

Forth Please do not remove anything from android 2.X (2.1 or 2.2 or 2.3 or ect. ) like google navigation or multi-touch because you will lose a customer and I will make sure that everyone I know will not use AT&T.  If at all possible please give up the choice of usingthe motoblur software or just a clean android OS 2.X. and give us the possibility of having a great experience with the phone because I really like the design  but the restrictions that you have put on this phone just don't appeal to me as much as other android devices.

I am eagerly waiting to see whether I will be staying with AT&T or if you will no longer be my provider, your move holy man.  

Message 16 of 25 (2,064 Views)
Voyager

dgrbovic wrote:

Based on the numerous replies on the similar thread at the Motorola support forum, I am starting the discussion here. I will enter some of the most important suggestions that show up repeatedly but feel free to add so we can let at&t know what we as users/potential users would like to see in the upgrade scheduled for Q3 of this year. 

1. Option to choose the provider for the search widget

2. Option to install off-market apps

3. Option to remove the pre-installed apps

4. Improve the battery life

5. Option to force Edge over 3G (this is actually beneficial for the at&t to prevent overloading the network and option is already available but has been removed on purpose by at&t)

6. Make sure that google maps navigation is not disabled/blocked

7. Message indicating that the charger is not providing the appropriate power

8. Improving the dialer (maybe using the stock android dialer) to be able to limit the number of calls in a log and more control over the logs overall

9. Enable Multitouch

There was more, but I want to let other people add or echo some of the things on this list. Please do so so we could let at&t that we really want these things.

those are all my wishes for this phone as well. i hope at&t is listening to us and will roll out the search provider option at the very least with the 2.1 update.

Message 17 of 25 (2,032 Views)

I agree with everything that has been said so far but would like to add that voice recognition be unlocked.  It's locked because AT&T wants people to pay a monthly fee to be able to voice dial.  Not a chance here.  It's sad that AT&T chooses to dictate what adults people can do.  As stated earlier I buy the phone, I pay the bill, so therefore I should be able to use the phone as I choose.  If I want to add 3rd party apps then that is my privilege. At present I have home phone service, internet, and wireless service with AT&T.  It would be worth me dropping all of them if AT&T persist and not listening to it's customers. 

Message 18 of 25 (1,975 Views)
Contributor

When in clock mode (Power plugged in and display partly flipped), the three buttons that are lit should not be lit at all.

Message 19 of 25 (1,873 Views)
Mentor

With the latest firmware update (available to only a few for purposes of testing and feedback) this is addressed and if you go to the night mode (press the lightbulb) the three buttons will turn off.

Message 20 of 25 (1,872 Views)
Contributor

How about the ability to update the existing installed software

I know on the Smartphones with at&t they like certain phones to have software that you can't remove but here's an example for you on my backflip before the update that was made I updated the mobile banking software on the phone that made it compatible with wellsfargo cause the original version installed is not compatible with wells fargo any after the phone update that fixed battery life audio quality and screen resolution well wouldn't you know they blocked the update for any of the installed software and now I can't use the mobile banking that is installed and can't be removed there are 4 programs that I can tell that have newer versions available and they are for some reason blocked on adroid market only through the phone cause if I go online on any of my PC's they are there on the android market heck my friends that have the click can download them so I'm guessing this is a problem with the backflip here are the ones that I know of and only 3 of them I would like to update

1) Mobile Banking

2) Where

3) Google Maps

4) AllSport GPS

And of course its the top 3 that I would like to be able to update myself

if anyone has any information on how to bypass android market to get the newer version of this software please let me know thanks!

Message 21 of 25 (1,737 Views)
Contributor

AT&T will never remove bloatware. I guess I was jaded for years using unlocked HTC phones or taking AT&T branded HTC phones and running cracked ROMs and Radios.

The battery life could be better.

I guess im lucky to be in the NYC/Brooklyn area to have UMTS/HSDPA 95% of the time

Message 22 of 25 (1,710 Views)
Contributor

PS. If you search for Panda Home, its free, makes the bottom bar invisable and makes Google the default search.

Message 23 of 25 (1,699 Views)
Mentor

Do you already have this? I know that when I tried the Open Home, it gave me the search box that said google and was made to look like google, but when you start typing into it, it would turn into yahoo.

Could you clarify?

Message 24 of 25 (1,678 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Now that you have released the HTC Aria with the google search widget and state that Dell Aero will have a google search, please do not block the google search widget from the Backflip once it receives the upgrade. I don't even mind pre-loading it with yahoo as it currently is and probably 80% of people will keep using it as is. However, since there is a very nice integration of voice search into the google search widget for android 1.6 or higher, I beg you to simply not go out of your way so that the tech-savvy users could change their search widget (especially the hardwiring of the search button) to their search widget of choice. The point is that users that do not want yahoo will not use it anyway (I have found many awkward ways to go around it), you guys (at&t) will reduce the amount of bad press at least regarding that, and yahoo will win since it will not aggravate many users and hurt their future efforts to improve their offerings.

It seems that this has already been decided (considering the two subsequent android phones), but I felt it didn't hurt to just re-state it.

Thank you and someone please pass this up the chain

Message 25 of 25 (1,507 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.