Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 6, 2012
9:41:40 PM
Motorola Atrix 4g??
Don't know if anyone has posted this or even really came across this problem. I bought a Motorola Atrix 4g assuming I was buying a 4g and was told in the AT&T store that it was 4g. Only to find out my Atrix 4g is not 4g capable. When I bought the phone I lived in 29 Palms, CA and assumed there were no 4g towers available there yet. I then moved to San Diego and that's when I realized I was not getting 4g because my phone (the Atrix 4G) does not have the capabilities. I contacted AT&T and I voiced my concerns and how I was mislead into buying a phone that has 4g in the title, but to only find out its not. I know it has the H+, but anyone who knows this phone knows you can check the signal strength and it says 3G. AT&T and Motorola have committed false advertisement. I paid $199 for this phone in dec. 11. I understand it's past the 30 days, but I went out to get the phone wanting 4g. Their resolution to the problem was me buy another phone an Atrix 2 for 199. It's funny how you look on their website and you go into the stores and they do not even sell the Atrix 4g anymore. That's funny because they always sell the old phones. I mean you can still get an iPhone 3s or a Samsung infuse. I think AT&T seen the problem and took the phones off the market. I don't know what to do at this point except to continue to complain to AT&T. I have been with AT&T since 2006 and I feel they should fix this issue by giving me a 4g phone. I set out to buy a 4g and I think that's what I should get. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Don't know if anyone has posted this or even really came across this problem. I bought a Motorola Atrix 4g assuming I was buying a 4g and was told in the AT&T store that it was 4g. Only to find out my Atrix 4g is not 4g capable. When I bought the phone I lived in 29 Palms, CA and assumed there were no 4g towers available there yet. I then moved to San Diego and that's when I realized I was not getting 4g because my phone (the Atrix 4G) does not have the capabilities. I contacted AT&T and I voiced my concerns and how I was mislead into buying a phone that has 4g in the title, but to only find out its not. I know it has the H+, but anyone who knows this phone knows you can check the signal strength and it says 3G. AT&T and Motorola have committed false advertisement. I paid $199 for this phone in dec. 11. I understand it's past the 30 days, but I went out to get the phone wanting 4g. Their resolution to the problem was me buy another phone an Atrix 2 for 199. It's funny how you look on their website and you go into the stores and they do not even sell the Atrix 4g anymore. That's funny because they always sell the old phones. I mean you can still get an iPhone 3s or a Samsung infuse. I think AT&T seen the problem and took the phones off the market. I don't know what to do at this point except to continue to complain to AT&T. I have been with AT&T since 2006 and I feel they should fix this issue by giving me a 4g phone. I set out to buy a 4g and I think that's what I should get. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Motorola Atrix 4g??

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2012 11:15:00 PM
(0)
Employee
HSPA+ is sadly a form of 4G. But ultimately some personal responsibility is in order. A quick Google search for are view would have answered any question either at time of purchase or within the first 30 days
HSPA+ is sadly a form of 4G. But ultimately some personal responsibility is in order. A quick Google search for are view would have answered any question either at time of purchase or within the first 30 days
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Motorola Atrix 4g??

2 of 15 (52,389 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 6:02:28 AM
(0)
Tutor
Although I do appreciate your response, but to say H+ is 4g is incorrect. I have done my research and H+ is only enhanced 3g. As far as researching a phone, when the title of a phone is Motorola ATRIX 4g, there shouldn't be much research going on. Honestly, I love this phone and it's one of the best I have owned, but when a company advertises and fools the consumers that is bad practice. It makes me think how often has AT&T practiced this and what else have they done to the hardworking consumers. Im not upset really about the phone, im more upset that AT&T would do this to their customers.
Although I do appreciate your response, but to say H+ is 4g is incorrect. I have done my research and H+ is only enhanced 3g. As far as researching a phone, when the title of a phone is Motorola ATRIX 4g, there shouldn't be much research going on. Honestly, I love this phone and it's one of the best I have owned, but when a company advertises and fools the consumers that is bad practice. It makes me think how often has AT&T practiced this and what else have they done to the hardworking consumers. Im not upset really about the phone, im more upset that AT&T would do this to their customers.

3 of 15 (52,373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 11:07:18 AM
(0)
Employee
A year ago you were correct
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA

But because of at&t and T-Mobile calling it 4g they went back and changed the definition of 4g.
A year ago you were correct
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA

But because of at&t and T-Mobile calling it 4g they went back and changed the definition of 4g.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 15 (52,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 8:49:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
You know wiki is nit considered a reliable source? With this phone you can hit the home button twice. When you do this it goes voice activated and you say check signal strength. When it comes up it says its on 3g with how many bars at that time. This is a misrepresentation from Motorola and AT&T. I do.appreciate your help but when my phone says its in 3g I can only believe as a consumer that its in 3g. Oh well AT&T does not want to fix my issue and as much as I love my phone I do not like being mislead and will be switching to sprint very soon.
You know wiki is nit considered a reliable source? With this phone you can hit the home button twice. When you do this it goes voice activated and you say check signal strength. When it comes up it says its on 3g with how many bars at that time. This is a misrepresentation from Motorola and AT&T. I do.appreciate your help but when my phone says its in 3g I can only believe as a consumer that its in 3g. Oh well AT&T does not want to fix my issue and as much as I love my phone I do not like being mislead and will be switching to sprint very soon.

5 of 15 (52,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 9:43:32 PM
(0)
Employee
If it says 3G then you're not in a 4G area and issue is moot
If it says 3G then you're not in a 4G area and issue is moot

6 of 15 (52,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 12:38:39 AM
(0)
Employee
Also what sprint calls 4G (WiMax) is not real 4G either just like HSPA+
Also what sprint calls 4G (WiMax) is not real 4G either just like HSPA+

7 of 15 (52,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 12:21:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm afraid the bottom line is that "4G" is now a marketing term, not a techical definition. Whatever group, agency, association or club agreed to let "enhanced 3G" equipment camp out under the "4G" umbrella is disgraceful.

I'm afraid the bottom line is that "4G" is now a marketing term, not a techical definition. Whatever group, agency, association or club agreed to let "enhanced 3G" equipment camp out under the "4G" umbrella is disgraceful.

8 of 15 (52,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 1:09:38 PM
(0)
Guru

Dan in Saint Louis wrote:

If you are talking about the related standards organization that approved and then greatly lowered the 4G standard to allow the less technologically advanced and therefore slower wireless companies in the U.S. (and other countries) to use “4G” in their advertising then that would be International Telecommunications Union Radiocommunciation Center (ITR-U) or

http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/index.asp?category=information&rlink=rhome&lang=en.

Dan in Saint Louis wrote:

If you are talking about the related standards organization that approved and then greatly lowered the 4G standard to allow the less technologically advanced and therefore slower wireless companies in the U.S. (and other countries) to use “4G” in their advertising then that would be International Telecommunications Union Radiocommunciation Center (ITR-U) or

http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/index.asp?category=information&rlink=rhome&lang=en.

9 of 15 (52,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 3:02:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
I know im in a 4g market because I just recently bought my wife the Samsung II skyrocket and hers is in 4g. Trust me when I switch I will do more research and not believe its 4g just because 4g is in the title of the phone. Im tired of paying $200+ for three lines anyways.
I know im in a 4g market because I just recently bought my wife the Samsung II skyrocket and hers is in 4g. Trust me when I switch I will do more research and not believe its 4g just because 4g is in the title of the phone. Im tired of paying $200+ for three lines anyways.

10 of 15 (52,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 3:32:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yeah, those would be the guys who said

'True 4G' is supposed to support gigabit speeds when stationary as well as 100Mbps peak mobile data rates, ultra-low latency and channels of up to 100MHz.

and also

The argument over what qualifies as real fourth-generation wireless technology and what is merely an upgraded 3G service hit a boiling point in December 2010 amid widespread marketing of WiMAX, LTE and HSPA+ as "4G" service. The issue prompted the ITU the release a statement that seemed to concede that 4G had become more of a marketing term instead of a technical specification.

"As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as '4G,' although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMAX, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed," the standards body said.

So that Atrix 4G is really an "Atrix forerunner-to-4G-technology."

Yeah, those would be the guys who said

'True 4G' is supposed to support gigabit speeds when stationary as well as 100Mbps peak mobile data rates, ultra-low latency and channels of up to 100MHz.

and also

The argument over what qualifies as real fourth-generation wireless technology and what is merely an upgraded 3G service hit a boiling point in December 2010 amid widespread marketing of WiMAX, LTE and HSPA+ as "4G" service. The issue prompted the ITU the release a statement that seemed to concede that 4G had become more of a marketing term instead of a technical specification.

"As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as '4G,' although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMAX, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed," the standards body said.

So that Atrix 4G is really an "Atrix forerunner-to-4G-technology."

11 of 15 (52,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 5:11:58 PM
(0)
Employee
Wait a minute where on your phone did it say 3G. That phone doesn't have a 3G icon. It will state UMTS/HSPA/HSDPA though in the about phone menu
Wait a minute where on your phone did it say 3G. That phone doesn't have a 3G icon. It will state UMTS/HSPA/HSDPA though in the about phone menu

12 of 15 (52,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 5:30:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

>>That phone doesn't have a 3G icon<<

The manual begs to differ:

>>That phone doesn't have a 3G icon<<

The manual begs to differ:

13 of 15 (52,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 3:15:23 AM
(0)
Employee
Blarg, honestly don't care what the manual says I've never seen the matrix shows 3g even in 3g only areas. Same with the inspire,infuse, galasy s ii, skyrocket, note, atrix 2,thrill,burst or any other 4g phone I forgot to mention
Blarg, honestly don't care what the manual says I've never seen the matrix shows 3g even in 3g only areas. Same with the inspire,infuse, galasy s ii, skyrocket, note, atrix 2,thrill,burst or any other 4g phone I forgot to mention

14 of 15 (52,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 6:55:08 AM
(0)
Tutor
I have to agree here with the OP to a certain extent. I purchased a an Atrix 4g device, and I'm in an HSPA+ area, however my speeds were no better then an IPhone 3Gs or a Samsung Captivate. The allowance of use of HSPA+ as "4G" was redefined as "substantial level of improvement in performance" which AT&T's network has not delivered. I understand the Atrix has a 14.4mbs modem which would be the max speed I could possibly see, but so far, other then the extremely rare 4mbs, I hardly ever see anything past 2 mbs, which is exactly the same speed I saw on my captivate. And Yes, it has a brand new SIM, and Yes, I am provisioned for a 4G Tiered Data Plan so I should never see a throttled slow down. FROM : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G?utm_source=weibolife.appspot.com "ITU recognized that beyond-3G technologies, such as first-relase LTE and mobile-WiMAX, that do not fulfill "IMT-Advanced" requirements could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced compliant versions and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed."[2]"
I have to agree here with the OP to a certain extent. I purchased a an Atrix 4g device, and I'm in an HSPA+ area, however my speeds were no better then an IPhone 3Gs or a Samsung Captivate. The allowance of use of HSPA+ as "4G" was redefined as "substantial level of improvement in performance" which AT&T's network has not delivered. I understand the Atrix has a 14.4mbs modem which would be the max speed I could possibly see, but so far, other then the extremely rare 4mbs, I hardly ever see anything past 2 mbs, which is exactly the same speed I saw on my captivate. And Yes, it has a brand new SIM, and Yes, I am provisioned for a 4G Tiered Data Plan so I should never see a throttled slow down. FROM : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G?utm_source=weibolife.appspot.com "ITU recognized that beyond-3G technologies, such as first-relase LTE and mobile-WiMAX, that do not fulfill "IMT-Advanced" requirements could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced compliant versions and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed."[2]"

15 of 15 (52,000 Views)