Month to month

Guru

Month to month

For those who are on post paid plans is anyone on month to month? Other than not subsidizing the phone are there any differences from a contract plan?

Message 1 of 23 (6,234 Views)
Guru

Re: Month to month

I am currently on month to month. Everything has been the same now when compared to when I was on contract.

Message 2 of 23 (6,232 Views)
Professor

There is no difference in plan pricing wether you have a contract or not. Also just to clear it up and put it out there, even without a contract you STILL have to have a data plan on smartphones.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 23 (6,222 Views)
Guru

Thanks for the input guys.

Message 4 of 23 (6,217 Views)
Mentor

Nice part of the "month to month" is your under an old contract which has no termination fee and is usually cheaper.  If another cell company offers a good deal you can't refuse you can take advantage of it. 

Message 5 of 23 (6,194 Views)
Contributor

My contract expires in 2 weeks and I'm considering switching carriers. However, until I decide, I'll be on a "month to month" basis.

The reason they charge early termination fees is that part of the monthly cost is paying for the free or reduced price phone you got when you signed the contract - so wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that once the contract ends the bill should  be lower, since they're no longer subsidizing the purchase of the phone anymore?

Message 6 of 23 (6,171 Views)
Master

rose322 wrote:

My contract expires in 2 weeks and I'm considering switching carriers. However, until I decide, I'll be on a "month to month" basis.

The reason they charge early termination fees is that part of the monthly cost is paying for the free or reduced price phone you got when you signed the contract - so wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that once the contract ends the bill should  be lower, since they're no longer subsidizing the purchase of the phone anymore?

The bill or the ETF should be lower?

The ETF does decrease every month you're still within your contract. The monthly bill does not decrease because the prices of the plans are different from the price of the subsidized phone. The price of the phone has nothing to do with the price of the plan. They are both different. AT&T's calling/messaging/data plans will never change throughout the contract, but the ETF will decrease because the price of the subsidized phone is decreasing every month as well.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 7 of 23 (6,168 Views)
Guru

ive been month to month for quite a while and plan to stay put.

Message 8 of 23 (6,143 Views)
Mentor

Me again.   I completed my 2 contract agreement and have been on my same plan, same price for 8 years.  Unfortunately ATT kicked all us ATT Blue's off..  Reason, they are shutting down the system that served us.  They said our phones would work on the new systen, 3G, but depending upon what phone you have it will work.  Mine does.  They did offer us to contiinue on a no contract (month to month)  but we would have to choose a new plan (without contract).  So my

cell bill went from $40 w/1000 minutes to $60 for 700 minutes (family plan).  They did give us free phones which only make phone calls.  So I'm using my old phone, Motorola KRZR which has more functionality.  I'm looking at my options.  What really bugs me in they broke the contact and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it but if I had opted out before my 2 years were up they would be all over me.  So I'm looking at the competition too.  T-Mobile has a month to month plan, bring you own phone, for $50 a month and give you "unlimited" Cell / Text / Data.  First 2gb is at 4g and then the rest at a slower speed., but I'm not a web person so it should be bad.  What are we going to do when we only have 2 or 3 carriers to choose from ?

Message 9 of 23 (6,139 Views)
Guru

If I ever decide to go with a post paid plan I am certainly going to go with month to month.

Message 10 of 23 (6,137 Views)
Master

Razr8 wrote:

If I ever decide to go with a post paid plan I am certainly going to go with month to month.

That's a great idea, same here. No ETFs, and you can cancel whenever you want. It certainly beats locking yourself in for two years to a contract. While contracts can be convenient, I think they're a bit overrated. Of course, you will pay the subsidized price of the phone instead compared to buying/supplying your own device.

Message 11 of 23 (6,023 Views)
Guru

Yeah, I'd rather pony up the cash up front and own my phone and have the piece of mind of a month to month plan. And it's like getting the best of both worlds you get the coverage of post paid and no contract like prepaidSmiley Wink

Message 12 of 23 (6,018 Views)
Master

Razr8 wrote:

Yeah, I'd rather pony up the cash up front and own my phone and have the piece of mind of a month to month plan. And it's like getting the best of both worlds you get the coverage of post paid and no contract like prepaidSmiley Wink

You know, I never thought of it that way before... You're most certainly right!

Message 13 of 23 (6,013 Views)
Guru

Yeah, I'm almost tempted at times to switch just for that very reasonSmiley Wink

Message 14 of 23 (6,011 Views)
Mentor

Did everyone see last sundays ad for "ATT Go Phone" with UNLIMITED TALK,TXT, & WEB for $50 per month.  Use your own compatible  phone or buy one from a retailer.  The ad I saw was by Walmart.  Talked to a sales person there and as the

other postings have said, it's the same service without a contract.  You do have to pay your $50 by a certain time otherwise you start over.  Sound pretty good to me.  Buying a new phone ?   Do we really need to have the latest and greatest each year.  I've had mine for several years and it serves me well.  But with Web available it might be time for a new one where at least the screen is usable on the web.

Anyone know the difference in the terminology for "WEB"  or "DATA", except that the carriers seem to charge more for

Data.  To me the seem the same.

Message 15 of 23 (5,955 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.