Montana - upcoming AT&T cell service

Contributor

Montana - upcoming AT&T cell service

We're getting close to the final conversion on the Alltel sale to Verizon, then Verizon sale to AT&T, so that our Alltel will becolme AT&T.   It is our understanding that phones will be mailed soon, and after they're all disbursed, we'll be able to activate/transfer our service to AT&T.  

I have an indivual plan that expires in a month, so will be checking around for my best options.  I have heard that Verizon purchased all of Alltel's cell phone towers in Montana, and that they will continue to share their use with AT&T for awhile.  At some point, I further believe that the towers will become fully owned by AT&T.   Is this information accurate?  If so, what is the time period, (months, years?) before AT&T has sole access to the towers?

Again, if this is accurate, will this affect the upcoming service of AT&T prior to their gaining full use of the towers?  Does this mean, then, that Verizon service will be limited with fewer towers?

Is there an estimate of the time for phones to be mailed out and activated?  Will there be extended hours at the new At&T stores in Montana due to the thousands of phones that will need to be activated?  Is is correct that no phone will be activated until all phones have been mailed out and received?

Thank you

Message 1 of 8
Master

Re: Montana - upcoming AT&T cell service

The att phone might already be in the mail. I know the one I am getting for the transition is on the move.

I wish I knew the answer to the tower issue though.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8
Professor

What 'was' Alltels (CDMA + GSM network, including any owned towers) becomes AT&T's in those areas that were purchased by AT&T.  AT&T;s QA is at http://www.att.com/alltel

There are listed here:

Message 3 of 8
Master

@ formercanuck

Some of those colored areas are Verizon areas that were sold and Verizon kept the Alltel market it brought in those same areas.

This a better color coded map that shown what went where. http://www.cellularmaps.com/alltel_divest.shtml

Message 4 of 8
Professor

True - interesting that the map has Verizon as Blue and AT&T as Red.

I actually like the list of RSA / CMA that is being transferred.

Message 5 of 8

billncorky wrote:

....Is there an estimate of the time for phones to be mailed out and activated?  Will there be extended hours at the new At&T stores in Montana due to the thousands of phones that will need to be activated?  Is is correct that no phone will be activated until all phones have been mailed out and received?

Thank you

I too, would love to know the answers to these questions.  So far, i got my phones, with a warning not to do anything with them till "THE DATE"  When is THE DATE?  a simple text or email now and then would be great.  I sure dont want to be surprised some morning 10 minutes before I have to be at work.

AT&T's lack of communication with me (I have no contract) is stating to make Verizon look more and more interesting as a viable alternative!

Message 6 of 8
Master

The transition time frames have been updated on this website.

http://www.att.com/mergers/alltel/existing-customers.jsp
Message 7 of 8
Professor

Wow! thats nice of ATT to provide FREE cell phones for this conversion!  BillnCorky from Montana, glad you guys are going to be part of Big Blue Globe community!

Heres a little nostalgic commercial from ATT 2006 (click on the globe)  I love the song they used in this commercial

Oasis: "All Around The World"

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support