Microcell with ethernet to wireless network bridge

Scholar

Microcell with ethernet to wireless network bridge

My preferred location is not near my router, so I bought an ethernet to wifi bridge.  This device works fine with my laptop.  With the microcell it worked fine for 2 days and then the 3G light would constantly blink and I never saw the microcell on my iPhone.  Anybody have success in this configuration?  Any ideas why it stopped working?  I tried resetting it, reactivating it, powering it and the bridge in different orders, etc.

Message 1 of 10 (1,239 Views)
Scholar

Re: Microcell with ethernet to wireless network bridge

By the way, it works fine when hooked direct to the router via ethernet.

Message 2 of 10 (1,238 Views)
Scholar

nategold wrote:

By the way, it works fine when hooked direct to the router via ethernet.

When you're using the bridge, is it possible that the MC is having trouble getting a GPS lock?

Message 3 of 10 (1,209 Views)
Scholar

Nope, it had GPS lock and only the 3G light was blinking.

Message 4 of 10 (1,202 Views)
Scholar

Sounds like the problem I reported in this thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/intermittent-3G-loss/td-p/2727987

Message 5 of 10 (1,130 Views)
Scholar

Sorry, I would **never** muck with low level things like that for a perfectly good, very fast, working network.  Especially if it is some random person at AT&T recommending it.

Message 6 of 10 (1,102 Views)
Scholar

As I posted in another thread, this configuration is now working until I get up in the morning and the 3G light is blinking, all others are solid.  I power down both devices, power up the bridge until it acquires the network, then power up the microcell.  It comes up 100% of the time, until tomorrow morning.

Message 7 of 10 (1,065 Views)
Scholar

nategold wrote:

As I posted in another thread, this configuration is now working until I get up in the morning and the 3G light is blinking, all others are solid.  I power down both devices, power up the bridge until it acquires the network, then power up the microcell.  It comes up 100% of the time, until tomorrow morning.

Is it possible that the VPN tunnel times out sometime during the night?  It almost sounds like the tunnel collapses so the 3G service is disconnected (flashing light).  When you reboot the machines, the tunnel is re-established and the connection returns 3G.  Just a guess.

Message 8 of 10 (1,017 Views)
Scholar

Not sure what you mean by the VPN tunnel.  If you mean the connection to AT&T then I think you are right and I believe it is an AT&T software/infrastructure problem, not my bridge device given that it happens to other people who connect directly to their router via ethernet.  BTW it did not do it this morning.

Message 9 of 10 (1,010 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

If this is, in fact, an AT&T back-end server problem, then it just further demonstrates the need for a server status / known outage dashboard that we could consult. It's absolutely inexcusable given how flaky the service has been lately for AT&T to not clearly communicate known outages to their own support staff, much less their customers.

Message 10 of 10 (977 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.