Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 1, 2011
8:23:08 AM
View profile
Microcell with ethernet to wireless network bridge

My preferred location is not near my router, so I bought an ethernet to wifi bridge.  This device works fine with my laptop.  With the microcell it worked fine for 2 days and then the 3G light would constantly blink and I never saw the microcell on my iPhone.  Anybody have success in this configuration?  Any ideas why it stopped working?  I tried resetting it, reactivating it, powering it and the bridge in different orders, etc.

My preferred location is not near my router, so I bought an ethernet to wifi bridge.  This device works fine with my laptop.  With the microcell it worked fine for 2 days and then the 3G light would constantly blink and I never saw the microcell on my iPhone.  Anybody have success in this configuration?  Any ideas why it stopped working?  I tried resetting it, reactivating it, powering it and the bridge in different orders, etc.

Microcell with ethernet to wireless network bridge

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2011 8:23:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

By the way, it works fine when hooked direct to the router via ethernet.

Re: Microcell with ethernet to wireless network bridge

2 of 10 (1,112 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2011 12:43:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

nategold wrote:

When you're using the bridge, is it possible that the MC is having trouble getting a GPS lock?

nategold wrote:

When you're using the bridge, is it possible that the MC is having trouble getting a GPS lock?

3 of 10 (1,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2011 12:56:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

Nope, it had GPS lock and only the 3G light was blinking.

Nope, it had GPS lock and only the 3G light was blinking.

4 of 10 (1,076 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 11:43:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

Sounds like the problem I reported in this thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/intermittent-3G-loss/td-p/2727987

Sounds like the problem I reported in this thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/intermittent-3G-loss/td-p/2727987

5 of 10 (1,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2011 7:21:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

Sorry, I would **never** muck with low level things like that for a perfectly good, very fast, working network.  Especially if it is some random person at AT&T recommending it.

Sorry, I would **never** muck with low level things like that for a perfectly good, very fast, working network.  Especially if it is some random person at AT&T recommending it.

6 of 10 (976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 3:55:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

As I posted in another thread, this configuration is now working until I get up in the morning and the 3G light is blinking, all others are solid.  I power down both devices, power up the bridge until it acquires the network, then power up the microcell.  It comes up 100% of the time, until tomorrow morning.

As I posted in another thread, this configuration is now working until I get up in the morning and the 3G light is blinking, all others are solid.  I power down both devices, power up the bridge until it acquires the network, then power up the microcell.  It comes up 100% of the time, until tomorrow morning.

7 of 10 (939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 6:51:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

nategold wrote:

Is it possible that the VPN tunnel times out sometime during the night?  It almost sounds like the tunnel collapses so the 3G service is disconnected (flashing light).  When you reboot the machines, the tunnel is re-established and the connection returns 3G.  Just a guess.

nategold wrote:

Is it possible that the VPN tunnel times out sometime during the night?  It almost sounds like the tunnel collapses so the 3G service is disconnected (flashing light).  When you reboot the machines, the tunnel is re-established and the connection returns 3G.  Just a guess.

8 of 10 (891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 7:01:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

Not sure what you mean by the VPN tunnel.  If you mean the connection to AT&T then I think you are right and I believe it is an AT&T software/infrastructure problem, not my bridge device given that it happens to other people who connect directly to their router via ethernet.  BTW it did not do it this morning.

Not sure what you mean by the VPN tunnel.  If you mean the connection to AT&T then I think you are right and I believe it is an AT&T software/infrastructure problem, not my bridge device given that it happens to other people who connect directly to their router via ethernet.  BTW it did not do it this morning.

9 of 10 (884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 2:53:36 PM
(0)
Guru

If this is, in fact, an AT&T back-end server problem, then it just further demonstrates the need for a server status / known outage dashboard that we could consult. It's absolutely inexcusable given how flaky the service has been lately for AT&T to not clearly communicate known outages to their own support staff, much less their customers.

If this is, in fact, an AT&T back-end server problem, then it just further demonstrates the need for a server status / known outage dashboard that we could consult. It's absolutely inexcusable given how flaky the service has been lately for AT&T to not clearly communicate known outages to their own support staff, much less their customers.

10 of 10 (851 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments