Microcell quit working-3G lights flashes away

Microcell quit working-3G lights flashes away

After working mostly perfectly for a few months, all of a sudden my Microcell quit.  Had a thunderstorm last PM but nothing else went out so I don't think that is the problem. 

Equipment:

Comcast Cable 19.+ MBPS download Speed

Apple Extreme Dual Band Wireless Router (yellow cable to ethernet port 2)

Microcell cable input in ethernet port. 

Followed the instructions and re-booted everything and let them all sync up  before connecting the Micocell. 

Green Power light and ethernet light come on immediately. 

30 secs in, GPS light and 3G light blink on and off. 

3 mins in, GPS light goes solid but after 30 mins, 3G light still blinking away. 

Did tiny button re-set, no joy, 

Tried cabling direct to cable modem bypass the router, no joy. 

About 1 1/2 hours on phone with At&t support-really no joy. 

Suggestions? 

John

Message 1 of 17 (3,662 Views)
Contributor

Re: Microcell quit working-3G lights flashes away

EXACT same story here...........spent prob 3 hours on the phone and finally got someone who knew what they were doing. I had to deactivate and reactivate the m cell in att settings.  I then rebooted the mcell and modem and after an hour it came back up. 

Message 2 of 17 (3,656 Views)
ACE - Master

kimberlyphillips wrote:

EXACT same story here...........spent prob 3 hours on the phone and finally got someone who knew what they were doing. I had to deactivate and reactivate the m cell in att settings.  I then rebooted the mcell and modem and after an hour it came back up. 

If that doesn't work then you may have to setup port forwarding and assign a permanent IP to your MicroCell via the MAC address. That's what I had to do with my AEBS. This doesn't work for everyone but in my case it did. Our MicroCell has been rock solid since even with power outages and updates.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 17 (3,651 Views)

Funny thing, I tried re-activating it and got an error message that "this device is no longer registered to you" or something to that effect.  Must have something to do with it.

JB

Message 4 of 17 (3,643 Views)

Error message when trying to reactivate

FTC181: You have attempted to access a 3G Microcell device that no longer registered to you. Please re-login and try again. [IFAL|InquireFemtocellAddressList|30002099002]

Message 5 of 17 (3,633 Views)

Re-activated, no joy.   (an hour later anyway)

Message 6 of 17 (3,586 Views)
Contributor

Same problem, occured right after thunder storm and power failure at my home. MT Re-boot does not work. Suggestons?

Message 7 of 17 (3,559 Views)
Employee

known issue in a few states including Texas, the Carolina's, California, Virginia and others I don't remember right now
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 17 (3,519 Views)
Guru

If this is a known issue then it is absolutely inexcusable that AT&T can't communicate this to their front line support staff along with an expected resolution time. It's nearly inexcusable that they don't have a page on their website where they could communicate outage information to their customers. And it's ridiculous that their back-end services are as unreliable as they are.
Message 9 of 17 (3,507 Views)
Tutor

It's happening to SoCal 90210 area for 5 days now. The 3G light kept flashing not matter what measure I did to correct that (according to Tech Support). It's just not making any progress. It'd be nice if AT&T will make some sort of announcement for such an extended outage with 3G Microcell.

Sigh...

Message 10 of 17 (3,459 Views)
Tutor

I'm in Texas and Have all 4 top lights working in harmony, but the 3G light just flashes on and off in a very periodic manner. Mostly off, then very briefly flashes on. Is this the "Known Issue" in Texas?

Message 11 of 17 (3,120 Views)
Tutor

Same thing with me. I'm still waiting to see if the problem has been fixed. CS Rep said it could take 90 mins.

Message 12 of 17 (3,102 Views)
Contributor

Located here in San Fernando Valley. Been trying to setup my setup 3G Microcell since yesterday with no luck. Flashing 3G? So is this a widespread problem?
Message 13 of 17 (3,100 Views)
ACE - Master

Johnmkeynes wrote:
Located here in San Fernando Valley. Been trying to setup my setup 3G Microcell since yesterday with no luck. Flashing 3G? So is this a widespread problem?

Unfortunately this is an all-to-common problem with the MicroCell. Calling support will be an exercise in frustration. Check your setup. Modem -> router -> MicroCell. Make sure your ISP is stable and has sufficient speed. All of this seems obvious I know but that's what support will have you go thru. You may have to do port forwarding assigning a permanent IP address to the MicroCell via the MAC address. That worked in my case but is not always necessary for everyone. If the power, internet, and GPS lights are solid green and just the 3G is blinking you may have luck by de-registering and then re-registering the MicroCell. That has helped some. It's been my experience that if the 3G light doesn't stay solid in about 10 or 15 minutes, then it's probably not going to work. AT&T says up to 90 minutes but when I was having trouble they told me it could take up to 24 hours. AT&T periodically updates their system in the middle of the night which causes some to lose connectivity when the update is done. I think the port forwarding/IP scenario helps maintain the connection once the system comes back up.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 17 (3,092 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

DeeEffSee wrote:

I'm in Texas and Have all 4 top lights working in harmony, but the 3G light just flashes on and off in a very periodic manner. Mostly off, then very briefly flashes on. Is this the "Known Issue" in Texas?

Texas (at least for rollout of the MCell last year was done in segments...North Texas and South Texas that I know of.  I'm considered to be in the North Texas area, and my MCell is working fine.  That flashing 3G light can be a frustrating issue to identify and fix, as AT&T has decided in its infinite...erm...well certainly not wisdom...OK its infinite <insert your own word here> NOT to include ANY user-facing diagnostics whatsoever in the MCell.  The flashing 3G light can happen for any number of reasons...some not intuitively obvious...in my case, a flashing 3G light indicated total H/W failure...I know this only because the flashing 3G light began after a power outage at my location, and a warranty replacement unit came up immediately and has been working perfectly ever since, utilizing the same Internet connection the old unit was using.  Good luck.

Message 15 of 17 (3,075 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.