Microcell problems - will priority mode work?

Contributor

Microcell problems - will priority mode work?

Hi,

I have a Microcell we've been using for the last year or 2.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (people have trouble hearing us- our end drops out) and we need to unplug at that point.  When it's not upload related (see below), resetting all network devices sometimes works to resolve the problem, other times it does not.

We have a fairly large network, with multiple computers, devices, bridges, and switches.  The router is an Apple Airport Extreme which does not provide any QOS features.  The Microcell gets around the firewall in the Airport (I've given it a static IP via it's MAC address, then set it up as "Default Host" which I believe takes off all router based firewall restrictions.)

The problems, 3 out of  4 times, seems to come from other computers/devices on the network being used to upload.  We use dropbox, bittorrent and other upload heavy applications.  There are times, however, when we can't find anything running that's  uploading, we've reset the network equipment, and still people have trouble hearing us (our voices drop in and out).

My questions:  (And thanks!)

1 - Is priority mode the way to go for me?  We use our cell phones (iPhones) for business and need them to be more reliable for voice.  Are there any other options to get more relable service I can try then priority mode?

2 - If priority mode is the way to go, will priority mode work with my cable provider/modem?  (Time Warner Cable, with their default modem - an "RCA Broadband.")  I've ordered another 50ft network cable to make priority mode possible (the only window here that gets a clear GPS is 50ft from my modem) so I'm asking in the meantime.

3 - Is this making the microcell essentially the router?  This would be an issue because my Airport Extreme handles our traffic (including bittorrent traffic) very well; other routers haven't done as good a job.

Thanks again!

Message 1 of 6 (1,741 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Microcell problems - will priority mode work?

Your network sounds fairly complicated. I have an Apple Extreme Base Station. I just assigned a permanent ip address via the MAC address and did specific port forwarding to the MicroCell. The setup is nominal: DSL gateway -> AEBS -> MicroCell. The only wired device (ethernet) is the MicroCell, everything else is wireless. Priority will work depending on how your ISP has their modem configured (as long as there isn't a double NAT in your system, ISP and the router). My understanding is that uploads have to give priority to the MicroCell for calls so if you're doing bitorrent at the same time, that may be causing some issues.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (1,730 Views)
Contributor

Actually our network sound similar, I'm just mostly not wireless and span a few floors so I've added a few switches to add/lengthen all my wires.

It's true though that we have so many devices that troubleshooting when the caller claims they can't hear our voice becomes quite difficult.  It's not just bittorrent (which I actually use very infrequently) it's also dropbox, which uploads - and I have 2 wired backup / media drives using the network.  But I believe that sometimes most devices are off and we still have the problem.

I also did the ip address via MAC address and did the port forwarding (TCP 443 & UDP 123, 500 & 4500 are the numbers right?) - in addition, partly because that didn't work, I also had under Internet-->NAT "Default Host" set to the IP address I've given the Microcell and "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol" checked.  I've just now unchecked that box and set "Default Host" back to blank based on you writing the thing about double NAT.  It would be awesome if that was causing the problem.

I've ordered the cable to try priority mode.  Does anyone know if Priority mode will work for Time Warner Cable Brooklyn/Queens New York?  Thanks!

Message 3 of 6 (1,669 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

I hope the double NAT issue is all that it was but normally your MicroCell won't work at all if that the issue so it sounds like you have some functionality. The NAT "Default Host" and "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol" check boxes don't sound familiar but it's been a quite awhile since I've configured the AEBS. You could just have too many devices on your network which are fighting for priority with the MicroCell.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (1,666 Views)
Contributor

Yes you are correct RE: too many devices.  In Priority Mode everyone can consistently hear us.

Now we have dropped call problems (in Priority Mode configuration).  Not all the time but today especially.

Are there troubleshooting tips for dropped calls?  Knowing that it's not router related as I'm now in Priority Mode?  All lights are on on the Microcell and we have full bars.

Message 5 of 6 (1,507 Views)
ACE - Master

Dropped calls can be caused by a lot of things so it's hard to nail it down to any one specific issue. iPhones seem to have the most issues (at least as reported here) but my guess is that you've just got way too many devices on your network. I'd try to disable or turn off as many devices as you can and then see if you still have the dropped call issue.

Message 6 of 6 (1,500 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.