Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 8, 2012
8:33:00 PM
View profile
Microcell only works when directly connected to a router! What about a switch/router config

I tried to activate a new microcell today.  It did not work.  When I called customer support the agent told me that the Microcell needed to be connected directly to my router.  It would not work when going through a switch to a router.

For me this is a non-starter, since the router is in a wiring closet in my basement.  I can't believe that the Microcell was designed in such a way that it would not work in a switched network.

Does anyone have any insight.  Evidently Cisco desigined this device, you would think it would work with a switch.

Help.

I tried to activate a new microcell today.  It did not work.  When I called customer support the agent told me that the Microcell needed to be connected directly to my router.  It would not work when going through a switch to a router.

For me this is a non-starter, since the router is in a wiring closet in my basement.  I can't believe that the Microcell was designed in such a way that it would not work in a switched network.

Does anyone have any insight.  Evidently Cisco desigined this device, you would think it would work with a switch.

Help.

Microcell only works when directly connected to a router! What about a switch/router config

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2012 8:07:09 AM
(0)
Guru

My Microcell is connected through a router and works fine.  Methinks the tech support guy was showing his ignorance, or just trying to get you off the line.

If you have even a small window in your basement, I suggest as a trouble shooting step you use a long enough length of Cat 5 cable to plug your Microcell directly in to your router.   Put the lie to to router being the problem, or confirm that there's something to it.

My Microcell is connected through a router and works fine.  Methinks the tech support guy was showing his ignorance, or just trying to get you off the line.

If you have even a small window in your basement, I suggest as a trouble shooting step you use a long enough length of Cat 5 cable to plug your Microcell directly in to your router.   Put the lie to to router being the problem, or confirm that there's something to it.

Re: Microcell only works when directly connected to a router! What about a switch/router config

2 of 3 (1,324 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 1:06:35 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 10, 2012 at 1:10:29 PM

This is complete and utter bull you are being given by the support guy.  

First off, the device doesn't even KNOW there's a switch there.  Second, I personally have always had mine on a switch (two of them in series actually), and I connect fine.  

I recommend you call Support again and try to get someone who's not a complete fool.  

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

This is complete and utter bull you are being given by the support guy.  

First off, the device doesn't even KNOW there's a switch there.  Second, I personally have always had mine on a switch (two of them in series actually), and I connect fine.  

I recommend you call Support again and try to get someone who's not a complete fool.  

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Re: Microcell only works when directly connected to a router! What about a switch/router config

[ Edited ]
3 of 3 (1,280 Views)