Microcell only works when directly connected to a router! What about a switch/router config

Contributor

Microcell only works when directly connected to a router! What about a switch/router config

I tried to activate a new microcell today.  It did not work.  When I called customer support the agent told me that the Microcell needed to be connected directly to my router.  It would not work when going through a switch to a router.

For me this is a non-starter, since the router is in a wiring closet in my basement.  I can't believe that the Microcell was designed in such a way that it would not work in a switched network.

Does anyone have any insight.  Evidently Cisco desigined this device, you would think it would work with a switch.

Help.

Message 1 of 3 (1,359 Views)
Guru

Re: Microcell only works when directly connected to a router! What about a switch/router config

My Microcell is connected through a router and works fine.  Methinks the tech support guy was showing his ignorance, or just trying to get you off the line.

If you have even a small window in your basement, I suggest as a trouble shooting step you use a long enough length of Cat 5 cable to plug your Microcell directly in to your router.   Put the lie to to router being the problem, or confirm that there's something to it.

Message 2 of 3 (1,331 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Microcell only works when directly connected to a router! What about a switch/router config

[ Edited ]

This is complete and utter bull you are being given by the support guy.  

First off, the device doesn't even KNOW there's a switch there.  Second, I personally have always had mine on a switch (two of them in series actually), and I connect fine.  

I recommend you call Support again and try to get someone who's not a complete fool.  

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 3 of 3 (1,287 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.