Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 30, 2011
5:24:14 PM
Microcell made calls worse!

A little over a week ago I went to the local ATT store because our cell service quality has decreased dramatically over thepast several months. They gave me a Microcell at no charge and "guaranteed" me that it would give us five bars. Well, it didgive us five bars but made the quality of our calls so poor that no one can understand or hear what we are saying due tooverwhelming static. Has anyone else encountered this with a Microcell?

A little over a week ago I went to the local ATT store because our cell service quality has decreased dramatically over thepast several months. They gave me a Microcell at no charge and "guaranteed" me that it would give us five bars. Well, it didgive us five bars but made the quality of our calls so poor that no one can understand or hear what we are saying due tooverwhelming static. Has anyone else encountered this with a Microcell?

Microcell made calls worse!

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 5:13:51 PM
(0)
Guru

The Microcell has an incredibly troubled track record. Some folks have been fortunate enough to have a trouble-free experience with the Microcell. We haven't had a single day of it operating as it should since the day we got it in April of 2010. If you call AT&T,  you will get a different answer from every employee you talk to, and often times they will close support tickets without ever calling you back.

AT&T's official attitude is that the Microcell will either work or it won't. If it doesn't, then it sucks to be you.

The Microcell has an incredibly troubled track record. Some folks have been fortunate enough to have a trouble-free experience with the Microcell. We haven't had a single day of it operating as it should since the day we got it in April of 2010. If you call AT&T,  you will get a different answer from every employee you talk to, and often times they will close support tickets without ever calling you back.

AT&T's official attitude is that the Microcell will either work or it won't. If it doesn't, then it sucks to be you.

Re: Microcell made calls worse!

2 of 10 (876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 6:31:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

The only reasons I can think of that would cause poor voice performance on such a device would be A) a defective device or B) an overloaded internet connection.  If I heavily load my internet connection people complain that my Skype connection has poor voice as well.

The only reasons I can think of that would cause poor voice performance on such a device would be A) a defective device or B) an overloaded internet connection.  If I heavily load my internet connection people complain that my Skype connection has poor voice as well.

3 of 10 (865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 8:20:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

I recently opened a home office, my only fear was the miserable 3G reception I had unless I leaned out my kitchen window.  Along came the free Mcell which was explained that I would get 5 bars of signal strength.  I did for 3 days then nothing. They claimed the Mcell unit to be defective, so they replaced it with a new one.  This gives me 5 bars but intermittently drops to 1 or 0 bars usually during a very important business call.  I called support and the young lady could not understand the difference between being 2 feet from the Mcell and over 100 feet away.  This call was rediculous and the irony was... the call got dropped while I was speakiing with her ( 2 feet from Mcell unit).  I went to the store that I gave it to me.  The excuse given was "because you have 1 bar of signal strength in 3G the tower is fighting with the Mcell.  So if I was on the moon with no 3G my Mcell would work perfectly.  I have had to unplug my Mcell to in order to use 3G or actually left the property in order to use my cell phone with some degree of reliability.  If anyone has a fix I would love to here it.

I recently opened a home office, my only fear was the miserable 3G reception I had unless I leaned out my kitchen window.  Along came the free Mcell which was explained that I would get 5 bars of signal strength.  I did for 3 days then nothing. They claimed the Mcell unit to be defective, so they replaced it with a new one.  This gives me 5 bars but intermittently drops to 1 or 0 bars usually during a very important business call.  I called support and the young lady could not understand the difference between being 2 feet from the Mcell and over 100 feet away.  This call was rediculous and the irony was... the call got dropped while I was speakiing with her ( 2 feet from Mcell unit).  I went to the store that I gave it to me.  The excuse given was "because you have 1 bar of signal strength in 3G the tower is fighting with the Mcell.  So if I was on the moon with no 3G my Mcell would work perfectly.  I have had to unplug my Mcell to in order to use 3G or actually left the property in order to use my cell phone with some degree of reliability.  If anyone has a fix I would love to here it.

4 of 10 (856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 12:19:49 PM
(0)
Guru
If you're using an iPhone, then the problem is that iPhones and Microcells don't get along. Check the absurdly long "delay while placing calls" thread for the details. Some folks report that AT&T has told them a fix is forthcoming, but you can never actually trust what AT&T says because the next time you call, you'll be told something different.

The overloaded Internet connection scenario is the correct explanation for when the party on the other end says that your audio is choppy. The fix for it is setting up uplink prioritization so that the Microcell gets to jump to the head of the line. But that's not the nature of the problem you have described.
If you're using an iPhone, then the problem is that iPhones and Microcells don't get along. Check the absurdly long "delay while placing calls" thread for the details. Some folks report that AT&T has told them a fix is forthcoming, but you can never actually trust what AT&T says because the next time you call, you'll be told something different.

The overloaded Internet connection scenario is the correct explanation for when the party on the other end says that your audio is choppy. The fix for it is setting up uplink prioritization so that the Microcell gets to jump to the head of the line. But that's not the nature of the problem you have described.

5 of 10 (846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2011 7:25:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

I did a few adjustments to our internet usage and it seems to have helped a lot. The big culprit was Carbonite. It was performing backups automatically, so I set it to backup only between 11pm and 7 am. So far, no one has complained about our call quality. I'm really hoping that fixes the issue.

I did a few adjustments to our internet usage and it seems to have helped a lot. The big culprit was Carbonite. It was performing backups automatically, so I set it to backup only between 11pm and 7 am. So far, no one has complained about our call quality. I'm really hoping that fixes the issue.

6 of 10 (799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 12:18:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

I got the microcell free as well (as long as you keep your service for a year or turn it back in within the one year timeframe). Unfortunately the gas I used to drive 3 miles to pick up the microcell cost more than the device is worth. 

I started out using the microcell with Astound internet and installed the device in numerous physical locations, and connected the box after the router and ahead of the router, etc and it pretty much had consistently bad performance. I switched to AT&T U-verse cable, which I like so far, but the microcell still does not work reliably. I usually have 2 bars 3G reception in my house and that is much better than using the microcell. (I can get 4-5 bars connected to the microcell, but the connection strength to the microcell is meaningless since it doesn't work well. I have experienced pretty much all the problems mentioned in the hundreds (if not thousands) of negative posts about this thing. Takes 20 seconds to make a call, sometimes after 2-3 attempts, then ends up switching to cellular before the call ends up going through. Incoming calls don't make it much of the time - I just get the voicemail message on my phone after it did not ring. I would be more upset if I had to pay for this device. AT&T should stop giving these out or selling these until they can get them to work and offer paying customers a refund.

I got the microcell free as well (as long as you keep your service for a year or turn it back in within the one year timeframe). Unfortunately the gas I used to drive 3 miles to pick up the microcell cost more than the device is worth. 

I started out using the microcell with Astound internet and installed the device in numerous physical locations, and connected the box after the router and ahead of the router, etc and it pretty much had consistently bad performance. I switched to AT&T U-verse cable, which I like so far, but the microcell still does not work reliably. I usually have 2 bars 3G reception in my house and that is much better than using the microcell. (I can get 4-5 bars connected to the microcell, but the connection strength to the microcell is meaningless since it doesn't work well. I have experienced pretty much all the problems mentioned in the hundreds (if not thousands) of negative posts about this thing. Takes 20 seconds to make a call, sometimes after 2-3 attempts, then ends up switching to cellular before the call ends up going through. Incoming calls don't make it much of the time - I just get the voicemail message on my phone after it did not ring. I would be more upset if I had to pay for this device. AT&T should stop giving these out or selling these until they can get them to work and offer paying customers a refund.

7 of 10 (632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 3:48:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, ours is still really crappy. As you mentioned, calls take 15-20 seconds to go through, if they ever do. Then the person on the other line complains that they cannot understand me or hear me well. I recently switched to a newer and faster router and really hoped that would help. Alas, it seems nothing is going to help. We still have the microcell in use because, sadly, as poor as the calls are with it they were worse without it. Way to go, AT&T!

Yeah, ours is still really crappy. As you mentioned, calls take 15-20 seconds to go through, if they ever do. Then the person on the other line complains that they cannot understand me or hear me well. I recently switched to a newer and faster router and really hoped that would help. Alas, it seems nothing is going to help. We still have the microcell in use because, sadly, as poor as the calls are with it they were worse without it. Way to go, AT&T!

8 of 10 (623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 4:43:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

ATT Fail.jpg

Well, so much for those "guaranteed" five bars.  It's been this way for nearly half an hour now.

You've out done yourself once again, AT&T.

ATT Fail.jpg

Well, so much for those "guaranteed" five bars.  It's been this way for nearly half an hour now.

You've out done yourself once again, AT&T.

9 of 10 (598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 12:24:17 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 20, 2011 at 12:27:56 PM

What's your line speed as tested by this Speed Test on:

1. Your desktop or laptop?
  2. Your mobile device?