Microcell failed SMS and incorrect GPS

Microcell failed SMS and incorrect GPS

About a month ago we were given a Microcell,as a way to fix the almost nonexsistant service in our house. The last straw was a failed call to 911. It was either that or we take 6 lines to another carrier. Once we got it installed and activated poof magic service we never had. All was great.

Fast forward a month. My line was eligible for an upgrade so I upgraded from and Iphone 3gs to the Samsung Infuse. My iphone had a ton of problems but it never failed a call or text on the microcell, the Infuse constantly fails texts, often times I have to try resending it 4+ times te get it to go through.

The other problem is that the phone GPS on my new phone with the microcell is sometimes dead on, sometimes 6 miles off, when its off its in the exact same spot all the time.

After reading something on the web about resetting the microcell address I tried that with no luck. I'm getting irritated at this, I text a lot at home and having to resend them all the time is nonsense.

Any Ideas? I should add that off of the microcell I have not one single issue with my phone.

Message 1 of 15 (970 Views)

Re: Microcell failed SMS and incorrect GPS

So I guess I'm the only one in the country having this problem then...

Message 2 of 15 (941 Views)
Tutor

We git a micro cell just the other day and the wife and I both have the Infuse and it fails texts as well. I haven't called yet cause yesterday was my Bday and wasn't wasting part of it talking to them lol. I have plans to call today though. They will get tired of speaking to me eventually. I think I have called them like 15 times over the last month because service in my area went to crap and all I kept getting as an answer is it should be fixed soon. BAH.
Message 3 of 15 (929 Views)
Contributor

Wow I thought I was reading my own post. This is exactly what is happening to me. I, too, switched from a 3gs and almost every text fails. Sometimes more than once. My brother has a 3gs and he said his never fails. I'm sorry I can't provide a fix but if someone figures something keep us posted.
Message 4 of 15 (869 Views)

I havent had a chance to call, yet either, ive been super busy with work. But they were probably pretty sick of me by the time i got the microcell from them. Glad to know this isnt just me, well not glad, but it seems to be an issue with this specific phone and the microcell.

Message 5 of 15 (862 Views)
Tutor

With the GPS "inaccuracy" issue: when you're spot on, it's most likely reading your phone's position over the network via tower triangulation. When you're 6 miles off, your GPS location is based off of the Micro Cell's position, and since it's connected to the Internet, it's where the Internet thinks you are, which an example of this exact issue I've seen personally on mine, your position gets dumped into the center of the closest town on the map and then puts a huge circle around you because the accuracy your external IP address cannot be pinpointed with much precision Basically, your location is being picked up from the Internet through the M-Cell instead of being triangulated through the network's cell towers directly via a phone-network link. Phone -> Network Cell Tower = Accurate GPS location Phone -> M-Cell -> Internet -> Network Cell Tower = Inaccurate GPS location Maybe this explains your situation, especially if the location 6 miles out is always the same spot. I know the E-911 issue with the M-Cell's onboard GPS will probably come up, "it has GPS so it should be accurate" will be the response, however I'd venture to say outside of activation and an actual 911 call, disclosing the M-Cell's GPS location for use in map applications through the phone probably isn't how it was set up to work. As far as I can deduce without looking it up; the M-Cell finds it's satellite, gets a GPS signal, double checks the location entered in the M-Cell activation information is accurate to where the cell physically sits, then that info makes it to the local 911 call center when a call is placed to 911. So using the onboard GPS to pinpoint your location on a map 24/7 isn't what the equipment was meant to do, which is why your phone has GPS, but since you're connected to a device that's hiding behind the Internet and not using your phone's radio for an actual tower to provide you service and triangulate your position, your GPS location is flawed. Then again maybe I threw a ton of non-comprehendable gibberish together and it makes no sense to some people. To me and maybe a few others it may make sense, and maybe I'll get lucky enough to find someone who at least partially agrees with this explanation to your issue.
Message 6 of 15 (830 Views)
Tutor

OK after speaking with ATT I have an answer to our question. Its not the devices at all. Its the fact we have poor signal. The Microcell only works for voice. It does not pass along the SMS or MMS at all. Being this is the case we still fail sending txt because its going off the same poor signal we had to begin with not the 5 bars we see because of the Microcell. I know it sucks but what can we do. Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 15 (802 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

byrds8 wrote:

OK after speaking with ATT I have an answer to our question. Its not the devices at all. Its the fact we have poor signal. The Microcell only works for voice. It does not pass along the SMS or MMS at all.

That's either a bald-faced lie, or whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. At this point, neither from AT&T would surprise me.

The 3G Microcell offers full 3G connectivity - voice, SMS, and data.

Message 8 of 15 (784 Views)
Teacher

Most commonly the GPS and SMS failures have been due to either the device NOT being connected DIRECTLY to the cable/DSL modem or the M-cell not getting consistent GPS signal it self. It IS suppose to send SMS. I would power down phone and remove its number from approved list, then power down M-cell, make sure direct connection to modem, power up, re-enter cell phone number once M-cell all up and running, then power up cell phone near M-cell. Make sure phone shows M-cell as source of signal, then re-try sending test text! Good luck!!
Message 9 of 15 (771 Views)
Tutor

Well ya know I thought it sounded fishy too being SMS rides the same path as voice but funny enough it seems to fit. If I am away from the Mcell and have good signal I never fail a text. If I am home where it is then I fail sending texts just as bad as I did before we got it. So unless there is a better option to go with then however illogical it may seem its the only solution that fits atm. lol
Message 10 of 15 (765 Views)

I've been on vacation for the past week. When I get some time I will move my microcell from behind my router and hook it direct to the modem.

The funny thing is I could really care less about the GPS as the phone seems to have other GPS issues aside from through the microcell. But would be nice to map a route in my phone before I leave the house. Out and about when using the gps it takes a while to get a lock and while using any nav apps it seems to get lost alot, or show my location a half block off of the interstate. Another example is the location of photos. For vacation I was on a lake, took a picture from the end of a pier, nothing above but sky. The gps data put me about 2 miles away on the other end of a nearby town.

My old 3GS as well as another brand new 3GS in the house never had a single failed text message from this house either before or after the microcell install. The problem seems to be only with my Infuse, and it happenes as soon as the phone shows the carrier as microcell.

Message 11 of 15 (598 Views)
Teacher

I am in the same boat with my infuse. SMS has to be sent 2-3-4 times before it will go through. I cant believe the issue is phone specific.

On another note, I ordered a GPS antenna to mount outside my house to see if I can help with the data issue. Reviews have been very positive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZKUR1W

Message 12 of 15 (593 Views)

I thought about getting the external antenna for my microcell. Ive come to the conclusion the phones GPS is marginal at best, I spent the day making tweaks that are working for others on XDA. Still the accuracy fails to impress me. When on the interstate the marker will jump off the freeway to roads next to it, then get confused and start jumping around. Similar things happen at stoplights. This is both with google navigation and navigon, they act the same. The worst part about it is I paid quite a bit for a nav app that is no better than the one that comes with the phone.

If I would have had my vid cam with me today I was going to capture the shennanigans.

Message 13 of 15 (590 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

The GPS reception on the Microcell is basically a boolean - it either is good enough, or you'll see the GPS light on the Microcell blink.

If you don't see that, then chances are the external GPS antenna won't make the Microcell do anything different. The people who need an external antenna are those trying to make the Microcell work in a basement or in the middle of a house that has a metal roof.

The Microcell's GPS requirements are fairly lax. It basically wants a 2D fix that's plus or minus a quarter mile or so. That's not asking a lot.

Message 14 of 15 (586 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Even if its connected directly to the modem it doesnt change the issue of SMS failing. Mine has been connected direct since day 1 and still have issues.
Message 15 of 15 (575 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.