Microcell doesn't recognize unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro

Contributor

Microcell doesn't recognize unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro

My Microscell recognizes iPhone 4, which I bought from ATT but doesn't recognize my unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro (model SK171).

Here is what I found from Sony's website.

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/19005 hours 40 min331 hoursx
UMTS/HSPA 900/21005 hours 25 min340 hoursx
UMTS HSPA 800/1900/2100
Message 1 of 7
ACE - Master

Re: Microcell doesn't recognize unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro

Did you register the Sony phone number under the My Settings for your Microcell account and is the Sony a 3G capable phone?

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
Contributor

Yes I have registered the phone under my account Microcell Phone numbers. The phone runs Android 2.3 and is full 3G capable. I am told by ATT support that I can only use 3G phones that are sold by ATT, which is very hard to believe.

I see following message in Manage AT&T MIcrocell Settings:

FTC-VFW2: Notice: 2G devices are not compatible with MicroCell. Please confirm the below number in bold is associated with a 3G or 4G device and then continue with your request.

Message 3 of 7
ACE - Master

How was it unlocked? Maybe the unlocking process altered the phone in a way that AT&T doesn't recognize it as a real AT&T 3G capable phone. It's not that hard to believe that the MicroCell only works on AT&T phones. It is their MicroCell and network. We have 10 phones with access to our MicroCell but I think all of them are AT&T accounts.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
Teacher

I've sucessfully used unlocked Nokia phones with an AT&T 3G SIM on the Microcell without a problem.  I don't understand why it wouldn't register.  

I did remember I had to go to an AT&T store and give them unlocked phone's serial number.  Then I'd ask for a new 3G SIM card...I did that each time I bought a new unlocked Nokia.  

Message 5 of 7
Contributor

I just purchased a HTC HD2 Android 4.0 and I also get the same error message. I also have a Nokia unlocked N95 that shows 7 bars anywhere in the house. The HTC only get 1 to 2 3g bars and fades in and out of 3g periodically.Att tech support said I needed a new sim card so went to Att and got one.

I get so sick and tired of hearing since we did not sell the phone we can't support it. I about ready to take my business else where.

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Employee

Microcell only works with AT&T branded phones.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support