Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 23, 2012
8:20:47 PM
View profile
Microcell doesn't recognize unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro

My Microscell recognizes iPhone 4, which I bought from ATT but doesn't recognize my unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro (model SK171).

Here is what I found from Sony's website.

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/19005 hours 40 min331 hoursx
UMTS/HSPA 900/21005 hours 25 min340 hoursx
UMTS HSPA 800/1900/2100

My Microscell recognizes iPhone 4, which I bought from ATT but doesn't recognize my unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro (model SK171).

Here is what I found from Sony's website.

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/19005 hours 40 min331 hoursx
UMTS/HSPA 900/21005 hours 25 min340 hoursx
UMTS HSPA 800/1900/2100

Microcell doesn't recognize unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 3:33:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Did you register the Sony phone number under the My Settings for your Microcell account and is the Sony a 3G capable phone?

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Did you register the Sony phone number under the My Settings for your Microcell account and is the Sony a 3G capable phone?

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Microcell doesn't recognize unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro

2 of 7 (1,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2012 7:34:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes I have registered the phone under my account Microcell Phone numbers. The phone runs Android 2.3 and is full 3G capable. I am told by ATT support that I can only use 3G phones that are sold by ATT, which is very hard to believe.

I see following message in Manage AT&T MIcrocell Settings:

FTC-VFW2: Notice: 2G devices are not compatible with MicroCell. Please confirm the below number in bold is associated with a 3G or 4G device and then continue with your request.

Yes I have registered the phone under my account Microcell Phone numbers. The phone runs Android 2.3 and is full 3G capable. I am told by ATT support that I can only use 3G phones that are sold by ATT, which is very hard to believe.

I see following message in Manage AT&T MIcrocell Settings:

FTC-VFW2: Notice: 2G devices are not compatible with MicroCell. Please confirm the below number in bold is associated with a 3G or 4G device and then continue with your request.

3 of 7 (1,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 12:36:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
How was it unlocked? Maybe the unlocking process altered the phone in a way that AT&T doesn't recognize it as a real AT&T 3G capable phone. It's not that hard to believe that the MicroCell only works on AT&T phones. It is their MicroCell and network. We have 10 phones with access to our MicroCell but I think all of them are AT&T accounts.

How was it unlocked? Maybe the unlocking process altered the phone in a way that AT&T doesn't recognize it as a real AT&T 3G capable phone. It's not that hard to believe that the MicroCell only works on AT&T phones. It is their MicroCell and network. We have 10 phones with access to our MicroCell but I think all of them are AT&T accounts.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (1,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2012 2:30:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

I've sucessfully used unlocked Nokia phones with an AT&T 3G SIM on the Microcell without a problem.  I don't understand why it wouldn't register.  

I did remember I had to go to an AT&T store and give them unlocked phone's serial number.  Then I'd ask for a new 3G SIM card...I did that each time I bought a new unlocked Nokia.  

I've sucessfully used unlocked Nokia phones with an AT&T 3G SIM on the Microcell without a problem.  I don't understand why it wouldn't register.  

I did remember I had to go to an AT&T store and give them unlocked phone's serial number.  Then I'd ask for a new 3G SIM card...I did that each time I bought a new unlocked Nokia.  

5 of 7 (1,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2012 6:50:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just purchased a HTC HD2 Android 4.0 and I also get the same error message. I also have a Nokia unlocked N95 that shows 7 bars anywhere in the house. The HTC only get 1 to 2 3g bars and fades in and out of 3g periodically.Att tech support said I needed a new sim card so went to Att and got one.

I get so sick and tired of hearing since we did not sell the phone we can't support it. I about ready to take my business else where.

I just purchased a HTC HD2 Android 4.0 and I also get the same error message. I also have a Nokia unlocked N95 that shows 7 bars anywhere in the house. The HTC only get 1 to 2 3g bars and fades in and out of 3g periodically.Att tech support said I needed a new sim card so went to Att and got one.

I get so sick and tired of hearing since we did not sell the phone we can't support it. I about ready to take my business else where.

6 of 7 (1,517 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2012 3:08:01 AM
(0)
Employee
Microcell only works with AT&T branded phones.
Microcell only works with AT&T branded phones.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 7 (1,512 Views)