Microcell connection

Contributor

Microcell connection

Router has only one connection.  Can I split the the connection between wireless internet and microcell?

at&t says I can, but when I purchased the splitter microcell did not activate.

Message 1 of 7 (913 Views)
Guru

Re: Microcell connection

What make and model router do you have?  I ask because I'm unfamiliar with any recently manufacturered router that has only one Ethernet port.

If you router does indeed only have one port, the "splitter" you need is actually a "switch."  Something like this would do:

http://tinyurl.com/3wrev9e

Are you using an Ethernet switch to split the output of the one port from your router?

Message 2 of 7 (894 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually router has 2 ports, but only one is for wireless it seems since when connected, only one provides wireless capabilities.  the other port is connected to desktop.  I am attempting to use an ethernet connection to split the signal from the port connected to the desktop, but it doesn't seem to be working.  Is it possible to split the connection coming from the wireless port??

Message 3 of 7 (858 Views)
Guru

I still don't understand your setup.

What make and model router are you using?

Message 4 of 7 (849 Views)
Contributor

was tryin to simplify the situation, but seems that confuse the issue.

wireless router has 2 ports that are already in use.  I need an additional port so I can plug in the microcell.  If I use a switch, which is just a box with 5 ports on it, how does this connect me to the internet?  the point is since the router only has 2 ports, what can I easily do to add an additional port without a whole lot of complicated mess.

Message 5 of 7 (781 Views)
Guru

Whew...you're bound and determined not to mention what make and model your router is.  Must be Top Secret.

Anyway, a "switch" is bascially an Ethernet splitter.  There's no configuration involved.  You'd connect the switch to your router using a short Cat 5 jumper from one of the router's ports to any of the switch's ports.  Then you can connect the the cable that you unplugged from the router to free up a port in to any of the ports on the switch.  That will leave you with 3 unused ports on the switch. Any device plugged in to any of those ports will connect to the router, and thus the Internet, the same as if that device were plugged directly in to the router.

It's very uncomplicated and not too messy.

Message 6 of 7 (760 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

It doesn't sound like he has a router at all.  Just sounds to me that he has a modem with an Ethernet and WiFi switch built in.  I think he just needs to get a router or switch in the first place.

Message 7 of 7 (517 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.