Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 21, 2011
10:06:04 AM
View profile
Microcell can't work if there is any ATT coverage?

I bought a Microcell on Friday and had the usual issues getting it to activate.  OK. whatever.  It finally activated, but none of my phones recognize the signal. (yes, all 4 are listed on the whitelist page)

I recycled all four phones, the microcell, left home and came back, all in an attempt to get the microcell to register on the phones.  All to no avail.

Called tech support today.  Was told that if I have *any* coveage at all at home, the microcell won't work. I consistently get only 1 or 2 bars at home, even outside.  The tech told me that the ATT towers will always have priority and the phone has to be in searching mode for the microcell to work.  It is *not* a signal booster and does not work if there is *any* ATT coverage.

There is NOTHING on the ATT website that indicates this to be true, and in fact, quite a bit of evidence to the contrary.  The rep told me it was best to just return the microcell - even though I told him that if I did that I would cancel *all* of my ATT services.

REALLY?????  REALLY????

Someone please tell me that ATT tech support somply sucks and there is a way to get my phones to pick up the microcell signal.

Thanks

I bought a Microcell on Friday and had the usual issues getting it to activate.  OK. whatever.  It finally activated, but none of my phones recognize the signal. (yes, all 4 are listed on the whitelist page)

I recycled all four phones, the microcell, left home and came back, all in an attempt to get the microcell to register on the phones.  All to no avail.

Called tech support today.  Was told that if I have *any* coveage at all at home, the microcell won't work. I consistently get only 1 or 2 bars at home, even outside.  The tech told me that the ATT towers will always have priority and the phone has to be in searching mode for the microcell to work.  It is *not* a signal booster and does not work if there is *any* ATT coverage.

There is NOTHING on the ATT website that indicates this to be true, and in fact, quite a bit of evidence to the contrary.  The rep told me it was best to just return the microcell - even though I told him that if I did that I would cancel *all* of my ATT services.

REALLY?????  REALLY????

Someone please tell me that ATT tech support somply sucks and there is a way to get my phones to pick up the microcell signal.

Thanks

Microcell can't work if there is any ATT coverage?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 10:31:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

urKiddingRight wrote:

Thanks

AT&T support simply sucks. Even after over a year of cluelessness, rudeness, lack of coherent information, and just a plain "we don't really care" attitude ,this has become the norm. You can find a support person now and then who does understand what is going on and will really try to help you but they are few and far between, and they get no support from their upper management.

What they told you is partially true about the towers. However, without the MicroCell in my house, I get one, maybe 2 bars of Edge connectivity. So my phones (iPhone3GS, iPhone 4, Samsung 3G,etc) do see a tower. But with the MicroCell, I get 5 bars of 3G on all of my phones all of the time. And I can even walk around my property outside and I stay connected to the MicroCell. There is a hand-off problem when you are talking via a tower and then move into the MicroCell range and vice versa. The call will get dropped because the phone doesn't know who to connect too so it just drops the call. I think it depends on how close you are to a local tower as to whether the MicroCell is going to have the stronger signal so your phones will connect to it rather than the nearby tower. I'm trying to find where my tower is so I have some sort of metric as to how far away you can be, still get some signal, but not have it interfere with your MicroCell. Try different locations in your house. That does sometimes help with the connection. If you are on the fringe, that may help. Worth a try.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

urKiddingRight wrote:

Thanks

AT&T support simply sucks. Even after over a year of cluelessness, rudeness, lack of coherent information, and just a plain "we don't really care" attitude ,this has become the norm. You can find a support person now and then who does understand what is going on and will really try to help you but they are few and far between, and they get no support from their upper management.

What they told you is partially true about the towers. However, without the MicroCell in my house, I get one, maybe 2 bars of Edge connectivity. So my phones (iPhone3GS, iPhone 4, Samsung 3G,etc) do see a tower. But with the MicroCell, I get 5 bars of 3G on all of my phones all of the time. And I can even walk around my property outside and I stay connected to the MicroCell. There is a hand-off problem when you are talking via a tower and then move into the MicroCell range and vice versa. The call will get dropped because the phone doesn't know who to connect too so it just drops the call. I think it depends on how close you are to a local tower as to whether the MicroCell is going to have the stronger signal so your phones will connect to it rather than the nearby tower. I'm trying to find where my tower is so I have some sort of metric as to how far away you can be, still get some signal, but not have it interfere with your MicroCell. Try different locations in your house. That does sometimes help with the connection. If you are on the fringe, that may help. Worth a try.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Microcell can't work if there is any ATT coverage?

2 of 3 (754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 1:18:49 PM
(0)
Guru

Yeah, they lied. Color me shocked.

The Microcell works best when the macro net signal is weak, but there are plenty of people (alas, I am not one of them) who are successfully using the Microcell in areas where there is some coverage.

Basically, anytime you call AT&T and get an answer you don't like, just call back. You'll talk to someone else, and the answer will magically change.

Yeah, they lied. Color me shocked.

The Microcell works best when the macro net signal is weak, but there are plenty of people (alas, I am not one of them) who are successfully using the Microcell in areas where there is some coverage.

Basically, anytime you call AT&T and get an answer you don't like, just call back. You'll talk to someone else, and the answer will magically change.

Re: Microcell can't work if there is any ATT coverage?

3 of 3 (740 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments